Notices

Yowsers! Here we go!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yowsers! Here we go!

Hola! I've posted on this board a few times a while back and never was able to stick with my decision to quit. It's amazing how coming back and reading all the threads hit home and i've never been more excited to stop poisoning myself!
I woke up at 2am this morning had a bottle of wine, went back to bed, woke up for work and muddled through the day until about 12:00 when my body just screamed "TAKE CARE OF ME PLEASE!". The shakes, the sweat, the stomach pains, the overall ickiness freaked me out. What AM I doing to myself? I'm 26 and this is not life! Life is spending quality time with my husband, enjoying my cycling, running, hiking and being just plain happy and healthy! That definitely conflicts with this life of pain, secrets, guilt, sickness, panic attacks, depression... wow, that really looks bad written down.
Tonight I am going to put my focus 100% on having a great time with my husband who deserves the person he married last July. For our anniversary in July I'm going to give him the gift of knowing that his wife has been sober for 2 months (since I'm starting today). I'm already very excited.

Quick question: How do you make a habit out of "not" doing something? I usually think of habits as things that you do, rather than not do. Living sober means that I will not be drinking - what have you replaced it with?

thanks for your support!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the decission to stop drinking.

I replaced my nights drinking with AA meetings. Talking to my sponser. Reading and posting at SR and taking it one day at a time.

Keep coming back here and reading!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't replace my drinking with anything really chickonabike...instead I looked at why I drank.

I looked at what I could do to finally once and for all heal the void in me I'd tried to fill with alcohol for 20 years.

Accepting I was an alcoholic...and I could never drink again if I wanted to be the person I wanted to be was an important step for me.

Committing to doing whatever it took not to drink again was the other part of that.

Whatever way you decide to go, take it day by day - it's a Journey - every day we learn more

D
Old 05-13-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At age 25 I made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of a God that I still do not understand today...day in and day out I am still blown away by the miracles that happen in my life. You may already be asking how? I followed a few simple suggestions from some very loving, very tolerant folks in Alcoholic's Anonymous.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't replace my drinking with anything.

The thing is, you need to look at the underlying issues. It's not about stopping drinking and that's all. That's just the beginning. Now you need to begin to look at what has caused you to become an addict. Then the healing can begin.

I do think that changing daily routines can help. I drank at home, alone, so I made a great effort to plan ahead and avoid those times. When I stopped drinking and started to heal, I began doing healthy things like reading and taking long walks.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah you don't have to replace it with anything, just live a better life.

What I will say though is that now that I don't drink, I have more and deeper conversations with my kids, don't fall asleep during movies (ie. enjoy them more), read more often and for longer periods, and get stuff like laundry and dishes done more frequently. So in a way all of that has replaced the drinking.

Congrats on your decision though and best of luck.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
Yeah you don't have to replace it with anything, just live a better life.

What I will say though is that now that I don't drink, I have more and deeper conversations with my kids, don't fall asleep during movies (ie. enjoy them more), read more often and for longer periods, and get stuff like laundry and dishes done more frequently. So in a way all of that has replaced the drinking.

Congrats on your decision though and best of luck.
The same for me, I'm a much better father and husband after the drinking stopped.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
oak

I agree that it is hard to "not do" something unless you have something else to do. I focused on exercise, reconnecting to my husband, and reading about recovery/going to various meetings.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I replaced drinking with enjoying my life. Seriously. I enjoy waking up not feeling like sh!t. No matter what I do now, I do it sober, and that makes it better.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Chick.
Getting out of the habit means creating new habits. For me I replaced drinking with living. I no longer wrap myself around buying, hiding and lying about booze...now I wrap myself around waking up every morning sober and living life like 'other normal people'.

Looking inside of yourself and finding out why you drank is a good idea. Was it anger, frustration, boredom, a control issue? There are many reasons why we initially start but don't even realize until its too late. There is a fine line that we don't realize is crossed until its too late. I found many issues of why I drank and because of a huge change in my life I don't feel I 'need' alcohol to reason with myself. I released it...it is gone.
But that doesn't mean that I don't struggle sometimes -especially knowing that I can never drink...not even one. Ever. It is ultimately a life long sobriety. I have no choice. Its only been alittle over 100 days....so I have a long way to go.

Good luck on your journey. Everyone's is so different yet everyone's the same.
Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Funny you should ask that! I like to think of not doing a thing as DOing a thing, rather than not doing a thing. The thing I'm DOing is getting healthier, increasing my stamina, getting back my waist, having my evenings free to do anything, having mornings free of hangovers, etc... I see it as a kind of project with tangible results. To me, that is actually doing something!

That thought helps me a lot. Hope to see more of you around here!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I replaced drinking with enjoying my life. Seriously.
Ditto that. Amazing how long I believed that life would be empty without alcohol. Everything is better now. Good times, bad times, all the times in between—it's all better without booze.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! Your suggestions have really helped me out already today. The common thing that I am noticing from everyone is how living a full life is what is "replacing" the drinking. My life today is already full of plans to have fun with my husband by going out and doing and trying awesome things. I'm excited by the optimism I have gained just today from waking up fresh and new and feeling free. I forgot what this was like.

Thanks for your help!