Notices

Newbie - - - What do I do now?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie - - - What do I do now?

Hi - I'm a newbie...just trying to understand myself, as well as the toxin that plagues me. I went without alcohol for a week, but soon resumed my old habits....I mean, if I'm able to abstain for a week, doesn't that mean that I don't have a problem?? The thing is....I know better, I'm reading Beyond the Influence, so my wiser mind tells me that I should abstain from drinking....but my addictive mind tells me that I can somehow warp back to the time when I drank "moderately". Soo...without making this post too long, my therapist wants to admit me to intense outpatient therapy...of course, when I saw him, I had been off the sauce for 4 days...I've since relapsed.

Basically, in a nutshell - - - I know that I'm an alcoholic, but am terrified of life without alcohol.

Thanks for listening.

-Jump
Old 05-13-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey bud, WELCOME ! Everyone on this board have been exactly where you are. We are all on your side. Keep reading , keep posting. Your going to be very happy you found your way here. You'll find people with long term sobriety and people with one day under there belt. They ALL have wisdom to share. Hard as it may be to believe, your posting here will help someone else stay sober today. That's how it works. We share, we find out we're NOT alone and then support each other in our common goal.

Best wishes, Ron
Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I've been there, and it's not fun.

If you make the decision to stop drinking, we're here to offer support.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried to be a normal drinker for 20 years Jump...I was terrified of not drinking because drinking was the centre of my life...

in the end I had to accept facts, and I gave up drinking...it took some work but life got a whole lot better for me

I know it's scary - but you're not alone.
Welcome to SR

D
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jump

Alcoholism never allows us to go backwards, the progression of it means it will only ever get worse. In the end for me, regardless of how much I drank, I wasn't even getting drunk anymore. Moderation was not possible for me, it was all or nothing.... but here I am with over a year of sobriety.

I found that once the poison was out of my system, I could think more clearly and make better decisions for my life. However, I never think of NEVER drinking again and take it one day at a time.

My life rocks being sober. I never thought I would say that. You can have that too if you want it.

Welcome to SR
Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome.

We've pretty much all been where you are. I know I have. What you don't want to do IMO is spend another 20 years figuring out if you are alcoholic or not. Resign from the debating society and try to not drink with us. We are here if you need help or have questions.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozgoddess View Post
Hi Jump

Alcoholism never allows us to go backwards, the progression of it means it will only ever get worse.
Yup, that's it in a nutshell. I never found I could go back, either. Once I'd stepped over the line, it was always all or nothing. Life is so much better sober, I like myself a whole bunch better. Totally worth the hard work it's taking!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group Jumpjump, I think we all thought at one time we could drink "normally" but have never been able too. This is a great site with tons of information and support available. I'm glad you found us.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't know how I'd live without alcohol... now I wonder how I managed to do nothing but drink when there's so much more to life.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You've definitely come to the right place --so keep reading and posting. I was afraid to get sober, too. I thought it would mean the end of the only pleasure I had in life. Now I can see how insane that is.

Glad you're here!:ghug3
Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, as other's have said, you are in the right place.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Jump! Your user name makes me smile

I was also terrified of life without booze....I have found it to be amazing abd wonderful
Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by JumpJump View Post

Basically, in a nutshell - - - I know that I'm an alcoholic, but am terrified of life without alcohol.
Great start. Now that you have admitted that you are an alcoholic, face your fear head on, naked and defenseless so to speak. Without excuses, escape routes or backup plans. Throw caution to the wind. Let the chips fall where they may. Appeal to some Higher Power. Trust that Higher Power. Learn to take self appraisal. Help others. Detach from the outcome.

Do all these things and I guarantee...

"That which does not kill you makes you stronger".