Notices

Oxycontin 2 mths after withdrawl

Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1ofakind

Red face Oxycontin 2 mths after withdrawl

I was one form of narcotics or another for about 20 yrs. I had a back injury and then surgery. I was prescribed talwin, percocet, morphine and the last two yrs oxycontin. The pain mgt doctors are there to provide pain meds and they do. This is there speciality. They never once told me that I may want to get of the ride and what the consequences were. I look back and I feel like I lost all these years of my life, controlled by a drug. I don't know how I did it and raised three sons who are fine young men, mostly on my own. Two are in the military and one is in college.
In the past two years I wanted to stop taking narcotics and the steriod injections that goes with it. My pain mgt doctor, changed me to Opana, which I did not take and he then burned the nerves in my neck to stop pain. I now think it was rebound pain also caused by narcotics. I was trying to take less of the oxy's I was on 40mg two times day with 10mg of percocet. It has recked havoc on my body. I became diabetic, developed cataracts and was on so many medications. I somehow knew that I did not want to be on any medication. In Feb 2011 I went to a nurologist who told me that my back and neck were not that bad to where I needed steriod injections and nerve burning etc. It was a very painful procedure. I explained how unhappy I was with all of this. I could not do it anymore. I was then sent to a anethesialogist, who said I did not need to be on narcotics and gave me savella. I stopped the oxycontin and percocet cold turkey. I did not know what I was in store for. For four weeks I was wasting away I had diarreah eveyday. I stopped eating, the stomach pain was burning into my diaphram and back around. I had no clue what was happening to me. I ended up in the hospital, admitted for a blockage and my pancreas lipase was elevated. This started a spiral. I spent 8 days in the hospital, which was torture in itself and put on dilaudid. I could not eat as now I had a new diagnosis of pancreatitis and gastroparesis with additional problems of eating and what to eat. I did not eat any fats and only liquids to get me from day to day. The narcotics slows the stomach down and can cause gastroparesis. I had no appetite and was afraid to eat. The reglan for gastroparesis was intolerable. I was sent home with more oxycontin and percocet. I felt better. After a week I was determined to stop the narcotics again. I ended up in the hospital a second time for 5days. It is now two months and I still do not know if the hospital dx is true or not. I have started eating again. I do not trust any medication or doctors anymore. I went blindly for 20 years thinking the doctors knew me better. I now know myself and listen to my body. I do physical therapy, mindwellness and work out. In two months I have been to the deepest part of hell and back. The scariest part was the anxiety and depression. I had no idea it could be this bad. I did not want to take any depression or anxiety medication to then have to withdraw from them also. So I went to the health food store and got Valerian Root tea and capsules and everyday is getting better. The mental fog and anxiety continues to decrease everyday. It feels so good to have my life back before the narcotics. I do not want to ever take another narcotic in my life if I can help it. This is a long post but anyone who wants their life back from the control of narcotics can do it. Do not be afraid. Fear had the greatest hold on me. I was afraid of living and dying, afraid of pain during this ordeal. It will get better everyday. I take .5mg of Zanax to sleep and this too I am tapering from 1mg. Good luck to all. It can be done, listen to your body. My blood sugar is normal again and so is my blood pressure. These narcotics strips your body of everything and the steriods which goes hand in hand through pain management affects one's immune system. I am not cured of the diabetes, but I am managing. It takes will power and control of yourself. My soul felt like it was reteching the oxycontin. Narcotics has it own personality and it takes ours away from us until we do not know who we are. Do not be afraid of pain or a diagnosis and do not hand over your life to a drug or a doctor, be informed. I was so blind for so many years. Today I am still recovering with diaphram pain caused by anxiety. Anxiety causes my stomach muscles to tense up and then uric acid builds up causing burning in my back in the diaphram, as soon as I recognize that it is anxiety and I do my breathing exercise it releases. There is hope of recovering completely. I know if I can do it after 20 years then so can you. Take charge of your life. Love.

Last edited by 1ofakind; 05-13-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: error
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Thanks for sharing
Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your troubles but I'm glad you're overcoming your obstacles.
Welcome to SR

D
Old 05-13-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Eternally Grateful 4/25/08

What a great story. It really resonated with me. A phoenix rising from the ashes! Prayers for your continued good health and recovery.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks 1ofaK

I'm on day 8 of my last and final attempt to quit oxys after 3 years. Wasn't on as long as you but I had alcohol and benzo abuse on top of my narc issue for 25 years.

Glad to hear it gets better.

I'm having nasty stomach issues still.

And God Bless Valerian root. I also recommend Kava and Chamomile tea. Life savers.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1ofakind

Oxycontin withdrawl

Anxiety and depression is the worst part of opiates withdrawl. It can last for months. I am still determined to be in charge of my own life and not let a doctor or a drug control my life. I am feeling the cloud lift these days after not taking any medications for pain or anxiety or depression. I take the valerian root capsule when I Let my anxiety get the better of me. I have learned how to deep breath and acknowledge what is going on with my body, whether it is pain or anxiety. Stress can cause physical problems.
I am glad I found this site. We damage ourselves when we give in to narcotics and keep taking them. I was so scared of dealing with the pain, that I did not consider the alternative, which is worse when taking narcotics. I have not taken any oxycontin for over two months and the pain is not there anymore. My physical therapist told me that at the body heals itself and I know now that a lot of the pain was a rebound from the oxycontin. If you are just starting to withdraw from narcotics, you can do. Read my whole post. It will give you courage. Love yourself and acknowledge what you are going though and why. You are welcome to email me for support.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your progress 1ofakind

D
Old 05-20-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1ofakind

Originally Posted by BeenDown2Times View Post
Thanks 1ofaK

I'm on day 8 of my last and final attempt to quit oxys after 3 years. Wasn't on as long as you but I had alcohol and benzo abuse on top of my narc issue for 25 years.

Glad to hear it gets better.

I'm having nasty stomach issues still.

And God Bless Valerian root. I also recommend Kava and Chamomile tea. Life savers.
BeenDown2Times
How are you doing today? I know it has been a few days, each day is another day to get stronger and put the past behind. Good luck and my prayers are with you.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How am I doing? I'm still staying strong. Day 15 w/o oxy and benzo and Day 13 of total sobriety. But honestly the results are a mixed bag

On the plus side I'm finally digesting food normally again (if you know what I mean), no longer have chills/sweats, muscle soreness is drastically reduced, last night was my first night without nightmares, and I was finally able to sleep through the night.

On the negative side my anxiety level is high, my emotions are pretty severe (I get more upset, sad, etc. than the situation dictates), and the cravings for both narcs and alcohol are HUGE. Practically debilitating.

Fortunately I have some pretty heavy responsibilities this weekend-- have a half-marathon to run and then am watching my 2YO son by myself for two days. So the consequences of relapse are severe enough to where its not really worth it.

Still planning on sticking with the program but I'm just trying to be honest with you about how tough it is.

How are you hanging in there?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Giant WOT hits you for +12502 damage.

I'm hoping that says you are doing great and so I will say congratulations !!!!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1ofakind

Hi beendown2times
You are doing great, hang in there. It will get better. I know exactly what you are going through with digesting food. I still have stomach and back pain when I eat. The anxiety causes my stomach to tighten up and it hurts inti my back. My doctor has finally convinced me to try zoloft. My mindset was no more mesds. I was suffering so much from anxiety several times a day. My husband talked to my doctor with me and they both convinced me to try the zoloft. You need to stay positive and think about how far you have come. You are welcome to email me if you would like to talk. Be good to yourself.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, I am impressed you had the mind set to get through all that. I had no idea how bad this stuff can hurt you. I'm scared of giving in and not being able to make it through work. I have depression and take Lexapro for it. Hoping to not lose myself in this process.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks 1ofak Your posts are a big help.

To be honest my resolve is starting to fade today. My biggest rationalization when I was using was always "I work hard, I live a stressful life, so why shouldn't I allow myself this indulgence". And I still don't have a good counter-argument to that. I even filled out one of the ABC sheets from the SMART program and it still isn't able to shut up the addict brain that is trying to tell me that it needs some roxicodone.

I've been getting through it though using the same mindset I use during marathons when I tell myself "Just make it to mile 10, then you can stop and walk". And then at mile 10 I say mile 15, etc etc. Only here I say "just make it through the weekend". Right now it's "just make it to your birthday because you really don't want to be high on your birthday".

I know that's kind of like the AA/NA one-day-at-a-time rule but it seems to work.

So yeah guys I'm doing well and sticking to the program but starting to get scared that someday the addict voice will defeat me.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

"I work hard, I live a stressful life, so why shouldn't I allow myself this indulgence".
I think that's a biggie for most of us BeenDown...for me, with hindsight...the answer was - if I need to unwind there *are* healthy ways to do it...but I never chose those....I never even looked.

I reached for something I knew darn well caused me problems, made me unhappy, caused a great deal of damage, and that I knew I was addicted to....but I did it anyway - time and again.

It doesn't sound so benign a choice that way.

D