SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi, Im new here. Im ready to be sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/226901-hi-im-new-here-im-ready-sober.html)

sykoeve 05-12-2011 01:06 PM

Hi, Im new here. Im ready to be sober

Hi, I am 33 years old. In 2007 I had open Gastric Bypass surgery (weightloss surgery). Before surgery we were warned of transfer addiction. And I was pretty sure I wouldn't have this problem.
Well one time about 2 years ago we (my room mate and I) went out with some friends to a club and I had a watered down smirnoff. Then another time camping I had some watered down beers. Then a few mixed drinks.
A year ago I started drinking heavily. On my own. And it went down there from there. Mostly it was on weekends though. I don't work, on disability for lung disease. So Im home alone during the days.

I am happy with my life, I really don't know if I have any stress really. The bills get paid, we have food in the fridge. We have a little extra money in our pockets. I really do love my life. So I am not sure why I started drinking. I know if I knew a bottle was coming, I would have this sort of high feeling. And then sneaking a drink wondering if my room mate would walk in was sort of a high as well.

In a typical friday night I could down a 750ml bottle of vodka and if I was lucky enough, another one on saturday. At the worst I did 3 in 2 days but that only happened a few times. Didn't like the horrible dt's the next few days.

I guess it got even worse last weekend, to the point that Monday I called a therapist and told them what was going on and that I needed to find out exactly why I have this feeling to drink, because I can't figure it out myself. So maybe talking to someone else who doesn't know me can help me get to the root of this. I have to do this for myself, I am only 33 and already at high risk for so many problems because of my weightloss surgery.

Thanks for listening and thanks for letting me join your forum and I hope to pretty active and maybe in the future I will be able to help someone else who is just starting this new journey.

iliveforyou 05-12-2011 01:10 PM

Hi and welcome sykoeve :) So glad you are here with us! SR is a wonderful place full of support, understanding and encouragement.

Post as often as you need to, read around the forums, and keep your mind busy :)

-Jess

Bikeguy 05-12-2011 01:17 PM

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Missy7 05-12-2011 01:18 PM

Welcome to SR. This is the place for you! You have lots of questions about your experience with alcohol and I am sure that as you wander around you will start to see the answers.

Brette 05-12-2011 01:20 PM

You know what, Sykoeve in Ar -- alcohol has a way of misdirecting and mis-firing our brains. For me, ESPECIALLY VODKA!!! (YIKES!!), alcohol has made me do things I never would if I were sober... (I plan to list some of those things soon --to get them off my chest!). I'm new here too. And what I love is taking the wisdom from these threads instead of a drink from the cabinet. Those of us who find ourselves here have a shared mind and spirit across the miles. What a gift that we find one another. A perfect place to visit. Hugs to ya!

Brette 05-12-2011 01:21 PM

Love the quote!

Dee74 05-12-2011 02:04 PM

welcome sykoeve :)

You'll find a lot of support here - support was certainly what I needed to turn the tide - I hope SR can help you do the same too :)

D

least 05-12-2011 02:24 PM

Welcome to the family.:)

Zebra1275 05-12-2011 03:02 PM

Welcome!

aussieblue 05-12-2011 03:20 PM

Hi sykoeve glad you found us. welcome

artsoul 05-12-2011 03:31 PM

Welcome sykoeve - Glad you're wanting to address your problem - it takes courage to do that. Getting help and support is critical -alcoholism is progressive and things only get worse for us if we don't stop.

Stick around, keep reading and posting. You're not alone.....:grouphug:

CatFry 05-12-2011 03:46 PM

Welcome!

Westiegirl123 06-26-2011 01:15 AM

Addiction transfer

I had my gastric bypass in 2005 and no one warned me about the possibility of developing a new problem, but I guess the surgery was pretty new to the Uk back then.
As I had left my husband the previous year because his alcoholism was putting us all in danger it is highly ironic that he is now 4 years sober and I am now having to take the first steps to recovery. You never can tell what life has in store for you!