Notices

any tips

Old 05-12-2011, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Day 10

any tips

Hello

Day 9 today and still strong :-)

Was just wondering if anyone had any tips for anxiety in the evenings. At around the time I would usually be drinking I start getting really anxious. Especially about the medicine I'm on for blood pressure and, funnily enough, anxiety. I do have a degree of pharmacophobia generally but know I HAVE to take these meds so I do. Today I know its all in my head but come tonight I get really nervous that I'm going to have a bad reaction to the meds. It's ridiculous really because nothing bad has happened before so why would it now? I'm positive its because I'm not drinking at that time... Any advice on how to rationalise my thoughts at that time? Anybode else have the same thing?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Laura

Well done on 9 days!! That's awesome.

Anxiety in early recovery is normal and should ease off with more time. I used to distract myself by breaking the routine. For me, i was used to getting home from work and sitting in front of computer/tv with a drink, so I went for a walk instead or did some cleaning, hot bath....etc. Anything to deal with the adrenaline and refocus your mind elsewhere (not on old habits).

Hang in there. One day at a time. You are doing great!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Day 10

Thanks ozgoddess
Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Laura

A lot of us go through anxiety in early recovery...especially healthwise...

It used to amaze me, cos I was such a utterly reckless drunk, but getting sober it was like I finally realised what my life meant to me and how precious it was to me..

It's ok to be careful...but if you've never had a problem with these meds before, I think you can relax a little.

and Oz's point about changing routine is a good one too...little steps, but you'll get there in the end

D
Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Day 10

thanks dee
Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Prayer helps me.

When I am praying, the prayer overides my thoughts.

I say the serenity prayer.

God, grant me the serenity, to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. Amen.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

Try to go for a walk, or any exercise. I had high blood pressure too when I was getting off the booze, they gave me meds and told me to drink a lot of water. So much of the high blood pressure resulting from drinking can be attributed to dehydration. I have also started meditating, not in a traditional sense, but it works. Just sit there, and try to think only positive or pleasing thoughts. When my mind starts racing, I think of the beach or mountains, negative thoughts try to creep in, but I stay strong and keep at it. It works if u keep a it. Stay strong!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Day 10

Thanks I'll try that Seth. :-)
Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seth84
Try to go for a walk, or any exercise. I had high blood pressure too when I was getting off the booze, they gave me meds and told me to drink a lot of water. So much of the high blood pressure resulting from drinking can be attributed to dehydration.
My experience was remarkably similar to this. Also good nutrition helps a lot but that will take more than 9 days to kick in. Even if you ate a good balanced diet, alcohol actually keeps the vitamins and nutrients from being properly absorbed by the body, especially B vitamins (the lack of B vitamins is what causes "wet brain" or Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome).

Google up "Alcoholism and vitamin deficiency" for a gazillion pages on this. It is downright scary what we did to ourselves out there while drinking.

While I'm on the subject "7 weeks to Sobriety" is a great book that covers the nutritional aspects of the newly recovered alcoholic. I highly recommend it, but as always consult your Dr.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
My experience was remarkably similar to this. Also good nutrition helps a lot but that will take more than 9 days to kick in. Even if you ate a good balanced diet, alcohol actually keeps the vitamins and nutrients from being properly absorbed by the body, especially B vitamins (the lack of B vitamins is what causes "wet brain" or Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome).

Google up "Alcoholism and vitamin deficiency" for a gazillion pages on this. It is downright scary what we did to ourselves out there while drinking.

While I'm on the subject "7 weeks to Sobriety" is a great book that covers the nutritional aspects of the newly recovered alcoholic. I highly recommend it, but as always consult your Dr.
Yeah, now that I think about it the Dr. said vitamins. So while they gave me some great pill to calm my nerves, they also gave me a cocktail (no pun intended) of vitamins. I remembered thinking at the time, 'what good will vitamins do!?!' It was like five plus pills they called vitamins. They then told me to drink a ton of water. Chronic dehydration is generally an affliction suffered by hardcore alcoholics. When I think back on some of my really irrational thinking while drinking, I wonder how much was because I was so dehydrated and how much was because of the alcohol...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The Winner Takes It All!!!!!

My blood pressure was high prior to a detox, but one week after detox it was fine. I wasn't on tablets though. The thoughts about drinking will always be there, its not so much you ignore them, its quietening them. It hard at first, but does get easier, the timescale depends on person to person. I didn't change too much to be fair, once the decision was made not to have a beer, it was just adapting without it, I replaced beer with a mug of tea, other than than I havent changed much at all.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go Laura! 9 days! Im naturally anxious/high strung. i take zoloft but that barely takes the edge off. Since my last relapse I changed my routine A LOT. I go to bed early, get up early. I take hot baths. I read A LOT. Im addicted to SR and as much as people hate to hear it...i exercise. Its like Ive been given a new life and I LOVE IT! So proud of you!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Arc
Day 34

Congratualtions on Day 9 Laura, and many more to come . Today is Day 16 for me and I still have my thoughts about having my beers at night, I counter my beer in hand with a bottle of water, I also take something at night for anxiety/sleep, which I hope to be off of one day as well, but I'm glad to have kicked alcohol.

I guess I almost try reverse psychology on myself, lol. When I think about wanting a beer, I grab a water and think why would I want that headache in the morning, when this water can clean my system, and I can start my day off right instead?

Stay strong, and I believe you will be just fine as you walk the path of recovery.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Day 10

Thanks arc - evenings are the most difficult for me - but I'm getting there. My husband is thrilled to bits, my kids are thrilled to bits and that is rewarding enough. My Husband has said nothing about me not having been drinking until last night. He said "Ï'm so f**** proud of you babes". and that was enough too. Then I asked him if he was going to take me to dinner and a movie at the end of the month and he said "yes absolutely!" Can't wait!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I read the book "The Easyway to quit drinking", it changed my whole frame of mind about drinking.
Congrats on Day 9!