Notices

Drinking myself to death and can't stop !

Old 05-08-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking myself to death and can't stop !

Hi I made a decision this morning that I had to stop.
I feel terrible now and was hoping to find someone that knows what I'm going through. Love to chat with you !
Old 05-08-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I sure there's plenty of people here who can relate to you. Taking it a day at a time seems to really help.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So sorry you're not feeling well. You're not alone - we've all been there. I'm glad you reached out - we all need support to stay sober.

Are you detoxing by yourself? Detox can be dangerous sometimes, so get to a doctor/ER if you need to.

I'm so glad you're here - I came to this forum about a year ago when I was at the end of my rope, and it's been a life-saver.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry just learning to
use this, but I went to the hispital last week with high blood pressure, I have drank everyday since 2007 I black out, not remember things I've done. I woke up this morning and have just had it, I'm jittery, heart is racing and the only way to get rid of it is to drink. Just wondering if you have gone through this? And how long will this last? what can I expect to go through ?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Pro! There are several people in Chat right now if you want to go in there and have a live chat.

Otherwise, many people here can relate to what you're going through. Congrats on your decision to quit.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for answering everyone, just having talked this little bit I feel better, it's gonna be a long night ! I'm on an iPhone and I can't get into chat room right now.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I had high blood pressure when I drank, too. It went back to normal after I got sober. I know that horrible jittery feeling (I used to call it the "inner shakes"). The first several days are the worst. I drank gatorade, took lots of vitamins (especially B vitamins) and didn't let myself get too hungry. Our blood sugar gets messed up on alcohol and when it is low, it feels like a craving.

Of course, everyone's experience is different. Just be safe......

I started feeling better after 3-4 days and it just kept getting better from there. I spent the first couple days glued to this forum and it really helped me deal with the urges to drink.

If we could do it, you can too. Hang in there.....:ghug3
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, usually by now Id be out of my mind drunk by now.got a lot of weird feelings mentally and physically going on but it's only day one.
Thank for the vitamin advice and I've drank alot of fluids today. now I just have to get my mind to fall asleep with out booze ! But I'm gonna lay down anyway. Thanks for chatting with me, much appreciated
Old 05-08-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pro2053 View Post
Sorry just learning to
use this, but I went to the hispital last week with high blood pressure, I have drank everyday since 2007 I black out, not remember things I've done. I woke up this morning and have just had it, I'm jittery, heart is racing and the only way to get rid of it is to drink. Just wondering if you have gone through this? And how long will this last? what can I expect to go through ?
Yeah bud all the shaking and weird mental weirdness is normal withdrawl feelings. I recently got sober 2 weeks ago, and id say the first 3-4 days was a rough ride. But once you get through it, you will feel fantasic. I had a lot of anxiety my first week. Here click this post. This was a recap of my first 11 days sober in a nutshell.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-day-11-a.html

Hope it helps! Stay strong bud!

-Ryan
Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Lots of us found it hard to sleep at first, but just resting will really help. I just treated it like having the flu and took it easy. It gets better......it really does.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's some of our experience at quitting and what we went thru. Usually the physical withdrawal doesn't last more than a few days or so. If it gets bad please get medical help to detox safely and comfortably. Welcome to SR.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I was where you are now a week ago today.

I cannot put into words how different I feel today.

Its hard work but if you keep reading and posting on here, get through detox (with medical help if necessary) you could be where I am in a weeks time.

So very glad you have reached out here - there are loads of people having just started out like you and me so you are not alone.

I hope you start to feel alot better soon - it will happen.

PS xx
Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know, I went one day totally free and it felt good ! First time I ever went 24 hours without Vodka, I love vodka screw the Russians ! Ok so I went 24 hours guess that's a start. But I'm drunk again geeeeeez is there an end to this s**t ?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

nothing changes if nothing changes, sweetie. would you consider an aa meeting?

Much love.

Last edited by bellakeller; 05-09-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: http://www.aajci.org/meeting-list.htm
Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Do check out the link Least posted above , there is a lot of common withdrawal symptoms once you stop but do see a doc or ER as withdrawal from years of drinking daily can indeed be very serious business.

Welcome to SR and hope you can get some sleep. Myself , I needed meds to get sleep on my last binge but thats me....3 days of no sleep was awful
Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, there's an end to it when you decide you have had enough.

We are here to offer support.

Please talk to your dr about your detoxing from alcohol because it can be dangerous.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
Originally Posted by Pro2053 View Post
Hi I made a decision this morning that I had to stop.
If I had a dollar for every time I made that decision in the morning, I'd be rich as heck! If I had to pay a dollar for every evening that I didn't stick with that decision, I'd be homeless.

I'm rooting for you!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
If I had a dollar for every time I made that decision in the morning, I'd be rich as heck! If I had to pay a dollar for every evening that I didn't stick with that decision, I'd be homeless.
Awesome quote, Sand Dollar!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hi, if I can do it you can do it, I was drinking for 20 years, the last 5 to 10 it was getting more and more, I also thought I was going to die. I then snapped into action, this could not just be a passing thought I needed to have a plan and a mission.

I set about picking a quit date, got my drs help for the detox removed myself from my normal environment with a family memember for the first couple of weeks and once you get that week under your belt, then the next things start to become crystal clear that this is a much better way to live.

I wish you the best, make it a mission, embrace it and strangely enough I got excited about it and the benefits I knew would come my way and they did!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome Pro. I hope you see a doctor about detox if you need to. It sounds like you may need to! I'm on day 11! I still have thoughts of drinking, but not the horrid mind-boggling cravings like I did in the first few days. Reading and posting here has helped me so much, and also I'm going to AA and looking for a sponsor and working the steps. And napping and drinking chocolate milk, juice and milkshakes. And I keep telling myself to 'wear my life like a loose garment'. Odd, but it helps me when I feel anxious. Keep starting over.