Notices

Live/Kidney Damage Questions/Puffy Face

Old 05-06-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Live/Kidney Damage Questions/Puffy Face

Dear members, I have only been sober for several weeks. I have been drinking very heavy for 10 years. I have had no health problems until several weeks ago when I noticed that my face and eyes were swollen and it continued to remain so. I quit drinking after discovering that alcohol may very well be causing this because of liver and or kidney damage. Since that time I have been taking vitamins, drinking coco nut water, eating fresh garlic cloves and generally exercising every single day. I have not gone to a Dr. at this point. I know that no one can answer a question with certainty because all of our bodies are different and there are many different variables involved. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced the puffy face issue and what that implicated in terms of liver/kidney damage and how stopping drinking corrected the problem. I am only 31 and for some reason still believed that I was invincible like a 20 year old. I hope that I have not done permanent damage that cannot be fixed and will require medical attention for the rest of my life. The facial swelling really scared me when I realized that drinking was the cause and what that implicated. Anyone that has had to deal with puffy swelling and swollen eyes and how since stopping the drinking they are doing???? Thanks....
Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cleartime, I too had a red, puffy face while drinking. my first liver test showed raised levels of liver enzymes. (which scared me worse). The good news is that quitting drinking and living healthy has got my liver tests back to where they should be. This of course doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone. If I were you I would go to the Dr and have the tests done.

By the way I am 40 and drank heavy for closer to 20 years
Old 05-06-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi cleartime my face was really puffy and unhealthy looking. I had a LFT as well as tests on my kidneys. The kidneys were fine but my liver enzymes were very high. I've been sober for 15 days and family have seen the puffyness go down, its still there but it may take several more weeks or longer for the puffyness to completely go.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would go to the doctor sooner rather than later. There are several drinking related medical issues that need to be diagnosed and treated or they will progressively worsen even if you are sober and living healthy. It sounds like your body is certainly telling you that some damage has been done. Only a doctor can identify the extent. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You need to go to your Doctor and be honest about your drinking.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of things I've learned in recovery is that you need to take care of yourself, and that means going to a doctor to find out if there is anything truly wrong. If there is nothing wrong, then the driving fear that something IS wrong can be laid to rest! If something is wrong, then it will be dealt with.

I've come to learn that it is easier to deal with the devil I know than the devil I don't know. And sometimes, they are not devils at all....

Keep going....and take care of yourself.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Seek medical attention as soon as possible.

L
Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I do hope you talk to your dr.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there,

When I got sober my liver hurt constantly, I stayed bloated and rarely urinated despite drinking copious amounts of alcohol and fluids in general. I also had a very "sick" color to my skin.

As I did with everything, I refused to go to the doctor out of sheer fear. It took a long time before I went (months) so by the time I had my first check-up and bloodwork everything had returned to normal. I was fortunate because what I did (sticking my head in the sand) was extremely stupid on my part. I would suggest that you not follow my example, and that you go get checked out to be on the safe side.

Best wishes,
Kellye
Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Definetely go see your doctor... I had a puffy face and hands during my drinking career...not a healthy thing....16 months sober, and no sign of it now...now it's just round due to my love of chocolate!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How did you go?
Did you end up seeing your doctor ?

L