Notices

2 days and counting....

Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh I loved my Jack Daniels while cooking when the kids were little. Unfortuantely, it escaladed to most of my adult life and after a 30 year binge I have finally quit. My youngest is 18, and I am sorry for not 'being there' although I was a stay at home mom most of the time. All I can do is prove myself now.
My husband and I separated in August and I thought it would be a great time to change my life...well, I did for awhile...then went back to drinking, lost my new job and ended up in 6 week rehab and heading to AA every Thursday. Point is, quitting is a great start but changing your thinking about drinking, your habits and your heart will be key if you want to stay quit.
Beforehand, I'd quit almost daily -I could stop for weeks or months. I think I even pulled a year in there somewhere. But...nothing changed inside of my heart and I'd head back to the bottle in times of trouble.
I would talk to your husband and tell him of your intentions. It wouldn't be fair to yourself to have to feel that constant temptaion all the time if he's not ready yet. This way he may have alittle compassion for your quest.
Coming here often is a great tool if you can't get to AA regularly but try because AA is awesome to have others in the same situation. I just read my 24 hours a day book and today was about the loyalty of the group. When you drink you are not being loyal to anyone...except the booze. Great choice, great you're here...keep up the good work.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Oh, and holiday dinners. Then wine is expected during the cooking. This year, though, I didn't drink till I was almost done cooking Christmas dinner--which helped a little. I'm also farming out some of the chores.

I was lucky that I only drank in spurts while raising the kids. I did do it though--plenty. But I didn't miss too much. On the other hand, the other day my 23 year old offered me some Sambuca--which is my favorite form of gasoline. I asked her if she had ever had it. She said, only once, the Thanksgiving we spent with the Samuels. That was when she was, maybe fourteen. I cannot remember her drinking that day--I assume I offered her a sip because it's good--but I don't remember. Now that's scary. As long as we are admitting things...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Penrose

How are you doing now?

D