Notices

question about alcoholism

Old 05-06-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question about alcoholism

if i have the idea that alcohol is a 'friend' and that to be alone in a bar with a beer is to be with a 'bezzy mate' is that alcoholic thought? What can i do about it!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If you know you are an alcoholic, thinking of alcohol as anything other than poison is pretty much alcoholic thinking. Have you accepted the fact that you are an alcoholic? Do you work a program of recovery? Those are two things you can do about alcoholic thinking.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

My first thought is that a non-alcoholic would probably not categorize any beverage as a "friend" so it would probably fall into the category of alcoholic thought. My next thought is what the definition of "friend" is (a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection)...alcohol is not a person and I don't think it has feelings for us, lol.

As to how to stop it, an active recovery program would be my best guess...
Old 05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes well im in recovery. I hear people talk about 'working' the steps. I have no idea what thats supposed to mean. There are 12 steps in 12 step programs i know that much but what they all are i couldn't tell you. So what 'working' the steps is idk.

I have the 'escape drinking' worked on, so i now recognize and deal with my feelings and emotions now. However these last 3 days i still seem to think about the taste of a pint of what was my main doc [lager] quite alot.

I know[think rather] that to drink is a dangerous road bu i cant quite help msyelf get over these fantasies of the taste and 'reward' of a cool beer

kevin

ps i am 4 months + sober
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oak

Congrats on being 4 months sober.

I definitely get that thought of alcohol being my best friend. I think for me it is due to alcoholism.