Notices

The little voice that says just one

Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The little voice that says just one

Hi Everyone - well it is around 4 months sober for me and this week has been challenging, I am grateful I am healthy and sober but I had a few things go badly this week and Yes a little voice crept in saying why don't you just have a glass of wine, you are a mature, you are capable, many people sit and relax with one glass of wine!

Oh My lordy, what is this voice. Lucky I recognise it and advised it that you know you can't drink and one is never enough you nut.

Well, here I am with my diet coke, and yes splurged and had a hot dog.

Does this voice ever leave? It was almost convincing it its apparent rationale.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ring, I don't know if that voice ever goes away. I have five monts sober and that little voice can indeed be very convincing. I usually distract myself with a walk, a phone call, anything I can think of really. For me the cravings have subsided greatly - lets hope that they do go away completely - I also consume vast quantities of "pepsi max" .

It is really good that you recognise the danger. One drink was never enough for me - this is something I hope never to forget.

Best
Franie
Old 05-06-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Ring,

I agree, I am not sure if it ever goes away. It's been a year and 10 months since I put down alcohol and I STILL get this voice popping up in my head. Although it has not gone away it has gotten easier over time to deal with

Congrats on your 4 months - that's awesome

-Jess
Old 05-06-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ring! Im glad you posted. I was wondering how you have been doing. Congrats on your 4 months! That voice! I get it quite often. I thought with more and more sober time it would go away. However at one of my AA meetings a guy got his 9 year chip. He said afterward he thought "would it be ok to drink NOW?" WOW! 9 years! Of course he didnt but it showed me we have to be on our game everyday. This disease is relentless.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have 17 months and the little voice pops up once in a while and tries to convince me to have some wine... but I talk back to it and ignore it and it goes away. It does get less over time tho.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That voice is Slick the Addict. Flick him off your shoulder like you would a cockroach.

Originally Posted by ring View Post
Hi Everyone - well it is around 4 months sober for me and this week has been challenging, I am grateful I am healthy and sober but I had a few things go badly this week and Yes a little voice crept in saying why don't you just have a glass of wine, you are a mature, you are capable, many people sit and relax with one glass of wine!

Oh My lordy, what is this voice. Lucky I recognise it and advised it that you know you can't drink and one is never enough you nut.

Well, here I am with my diet coke, and yes splurged and had a hot dog.

Does this voice ever leave? It was almost convincing it its apparent rationale.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go on four months.
The voice reminding you that "one won't hurt", in my opinion, and experience, never goes away. NA has an instant reply to this voice, in the form of a short saying that goes like this: "One is too many, and a thousand is never enough."