Notices

Why do we count the days since our last drink

Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do we count the days since our last drink

Hello friends on SR.

I am asking this simply because I am a little confused.

I ran into a friend yesterday , who is an AA member. His first real question , after we got through the weather, the economy etc was. How many weeks has it been now since you drank?

I just dont know. 9 maybe 10 or perhaps more.

I sincerely hope , apart from the obvious, that people would be kind enough to shed light on the phenomenon of counting the days.

Perhaps I am wrong. But, The further I get away , in time, from the booze, the less I think about it and the less it is in my thoughts. Sometimes , a fleeting thought, like , for instance, thinking about what my daughters were like when they were born, or my first job.

I am concerned that I might be "missing" something here, that might be very

benificial to my long term recovery .

It has , after many many years , only been 8 or 9 weeks..

Sincerely look forward to your responses.

Kind regards

L
Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People like to count time to give themselves a feeling of accomplishment, though the benefits of a sober life today are a reward in itself. Also, the more time someone has, the more they feel they have to lose by having a drink.

I think keeping track of it to a degree can be healthy, but some people take it way too far. Here and now is all there is.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

FWIW, I've heard it said when putting distance between yourself and hell, it's heartening to know how many steps you've taken.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think about drinking either, but I do think about recovery and I have thought about recovery every single day for years. I know the date I stopped drinking and it matters to me to keep that date in my mind because it's very significant. And, it's not about stopping drinking. It's about starting to live.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Servant of God

I think it's entirely dependent on whether or not it's important to the individual. I never really felt that it was but I've also got a really low # again.

It's a social norm in the AA and NA community and being a compliant part of a group is good for addicts. I can also assume that it's talked about so much to create some value. It may help some in times of struggle to have a high value on something they are about to trade away for a binge.

Socially, it can be a way for people to relate to eachother and gauge some similarities while they were at the same stages.

If it's really not that important to you then great, just try to resist separating yourself (up or down) from the group. THAT can be another mind trick, another mechanism for the crafty addict getting us back to what an addict does best.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its talking out of both sides of your mouth. On one hand its "one day at a time" and then its "how many days do you have?" AA says we won't ever be "cured" so the fascination with # of days seems counterproductive to me.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a social and psychological number.

Pragmatically speaking, a better metric might be units alcohol divided by number of days sober over a period of time (week/month/ year), in terms of physical recovery.

I may be 20 days without a drink, but over the last month my ratio is:

100 drinks divided by 30 days= 3.333. Once I hit zero, I move my denominator to 90 days, then 6 months, then one year, etc...etc... The goal is to continually trend down.

The geek in me comes out.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't count days, I don't celebrate anniversaries, and I stopped picking up chips.

For me, addiction was "one day at a time" - applying that same philosophy to quitting only meant "check back with me tomorrow."

I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind, either. If I get terminal cancer, I won't ask for whiskey on my deathbed. If I end up on a deserted island for a decade, and a bottle of rum happens to wash ashore, I will not drink it.

No need to count days.

As someone once pointed out to me, only prisoners count days until their freedom.

I am already free.

I started a thread/poll on this about a month ago:
Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4thekidz View Post
It's a social and psychological number.

Pragmatically speaking, a better metric might be units alcohol divided by number of days sober over a period of time (week/month/ year), in terms of physical recovery.

I may be 20 days without a drink, but over the last month my ratio is:

100 drinks divided by 30 days= 3.333. Once I hit zero, I move my denominator to 90 days, then 6 months, then one year, etc...etc... The goal is to continually trend down.

The geek in me comes out.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
Its talking out of both sides of your mouth. On one hand its "one day at a time" and then its "how many days do you have?" AA says we won't ever be "cured" so the fascination with # of days seems counterproductive to me.
Living "one day at a time," or alternatively, "one moment at a time" comes from the Serenity Prayer, variations of which predate AA by well over a 1000 years.

Applying that to life may be sound advice - living in the moment and taking life as it comes - but twisting it to mean "I'll only quit for today" is absurd.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As a general rule, AA counts sober days so that they can assess your standing in the AA community. Not many will admit that, but it allows people to properly place you in the AA hierarchy and decide how much respect they should give you.

It's a quantitative barometer of your success.

There are, obviously, many exceptions to this. But AA is obsessed with counting time because the organization is no longer obsessed with recovery.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't necessarily count how many days since my last drink as I do how many days I'm sober. It just seems more positive. I count because its important to me. Oh, not everyday but I like to keep track of where I am...I like to remember, I like to refresh the thought of sobriety. After a long long history of booze and knowing I have lost much and can't get it back this is a way to keep control on myself, my life, my sobriety.
But if someone asked me I'd just say long enough to be happy. I think some may ask to have you ultimately admit to relapse.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like the feeling of accomplishment, of getting further and further from that hell...
Old 05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When someone asks me how much time I have I usually ask them what step they're on. God, that goes over so well.
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I don't think about drinking either, but I do think about recovery and I have thought about recovery every single day for years. I know the date I stopped drinking and it matters to me to keep that date in my mind because it's very significant. And, it's not about stopping drinking. It's about starting to live.
Beautifully said. , Anna.
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I like the feeling of accomplishment, of getting further and further from that hell...
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Not one bit. You should be proud.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well Im 11 days sober. Ive been counting. it is just a number that reminds me 12 days ago I was smashed out of my mind and living in an endless hellish alcoholic cycle that I thought would be my demise. And with the constant metal battle of wanting a drink in the first month of recovery, each day feels like an achievement.

While I'm sure the longer I am sober the counting will be less important, but to me its a real sense of self satisfaction for now.

-Ryan
Old 05-05-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
When someone asks me how much time I have I usually ask them what step they're on. God, that goes over so well.
Try asking them how many different times they've done the steps.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
As a general rule, AA counts sober days so that they can assess your standing in the AA community. Not many will admit that, but it allows people to properly place you in the AA hierarchy and decide how much respect they should give you.

It's a quantitative barometer of your success.

There are, obviously, many exceptions to this. But AA is obsessed with counting time because the organization is no longer obsessed with recovery.
What you have written are the primary reasons AA and I were like oil and water, and the whole , counting time days to nano seconds , just did not make sense to me.

Thanks for your "honest" view on it.

Well, you certianly have MY respect for being honest

L
Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
I don't necessarily count how many days since my last drink as I do how many days I'm sober. It just seems more positive. I count because its important to me. Oh, not everyday but I like to keep track of where I am...I like to remember, I like to refresh the thought of sobriety. After a long long history of booze and knowing I have lost much and can't get it back this is a way to keep control on myself, my life, my sobriety.
But if someone asked me I'd just say long enough to be happy. I think some may ask to have you ultimately admit to relapse.
I agree mostly with this but can you really pinpoint when you felt you were sober and not just without?