Notices

Why do we count the days since our last drink

Old 05-06-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stephnc View Post
I think the whole idea of counting days versus 'one day at a time' is pretty inconsistent and does send a mixed message.
Since addicted people are, on some level, in love with their drug of choice, I look at it this way:

If you are only trying to get divorced "one day at a time," you are still married.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Wink In Love with a Substance

That is so true. I have often said that I am in love with alcohol and used my extensive knowledge on the subject as proof. Love shouldn't feel like this. This is brain chemistry going beserk.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone -- even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality -- safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."
AA BB 1st pages 84 and 85

That is what the program of AA promises. That is why I am willing to do, and I am actually doing (action), whatever it takes to work the 12 steps as per the directions in the Big Book. ODAAT was how I lived when I was trying to remain abstinent based upon self-knowledge and willpower, every day was a fight and a struggle. AA promises me that I don't ever have to live like that again. Susan
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

If some people use the number of days weeks months and years as a means to create a heirarchy in their mind then so be it.

The simple fact that it is one of the ways that alcoholics show that they care about each other and a way to hold newer members into accountability. I know that lies are the language of the disease, and accountability is a foundation stone for someone to begin building their new life upon, as are honesty, openness and willingness.

Some could be too obsessed with counting their days as a was to qualify and quantify sobriety, and some abhor accountability in an obsessive fashion as detrimental too.

In my experience my mom always told me to be careful son, pointing that index finger of yours at others, there are three pointing back at you.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

I totally agree. To each their own and whatever helps them stay sober or for whatever reasons they do it that way. It's a personal choice.