Notices
View Poll Results: Have you ever lied about your sober/clean time?
YES - In Real Life or in AA/NA
16.84%
YES - On Sober Recovery
1.05%
YES - In Real Life / (AA/NA) AND on SR
4.21%
NO - I've never liead about my clean/sober time
77.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever lied about your sober/clean time?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

ya, I lied about my sober time.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had more lies of ommission rather than commission-- I just wouldn't say.

But the larger point for me is why would I be surprised that I lied, or someone else lied? Alcoholics lie. We also cheat, steal, delude and malign. Dishonesty is as intergral a part of untreated alcoholism as drinking.

But I do think the reason many people lie is because we are told we must go to a meeting and "fess up." According to who? Who exactly decided that a tour of public confession was a good idea for a relapsing alcoholic?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
But I do think the reason many people lie is because we are told we must go to a meeting and "fess up." According to who? Who exactly decided that a tour of public confession was a good idea for a relapsing alcoholic?
I think the underlying assumption is that the "wretched guilt" and shame of public confession will keep the "guilty party" sober the next time around.

It doesn't usually work out that way, though. If anything, as DUNE pointed out, the fear of a "shaming ritual" might keep them from coming back at all.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I haven't lied during the time I found SR but I didn't tell...

It wasn't until the morning of day 7 that I finally told my husband that I had found this site and that I wanted to be free from alcohol. I know the reason I didn't tell him was just encase I wanted a drink and he would have never known I'd quit. I took us getting into a fight the night before that in the morning I finally spoke up.

What step is it to let your family know I AM AN ALCOHOLIC???... YUK... i really don't like how that sounds.

One day at a time.... I know I have step 1 & 2 down.. Again one day at a time
Old 05-04-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Akua View Post
One day at a time.... I know I have step 1 & 2 down.. Again one day at a time
That's an interesting take. Step 1 (in AA's program of recovery) is all about my internal realization that I do not have the power to stay sober a day at a time.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cool

"...My question is: AA tells us its "One day at a time" If that is the case then was is there so my emphasis on how many days/months/years sober we are?..."

Although 'the people' in AA may use the catch phrase 'one day at a time' it can be found nowhere in the AA program. In fact, it's not found anywhere in the first 164 pages of the BB either. The founders of AA got sober 'for good and all' (in other words, no matter what they wouldn't pick up a drink, they quit forever, to never drink again).

"...I've thought about this myself, having seen many "kings/queens of the 30 day chip". Endless relapse/retread cycles. Those chips can eventually become lead weights dragging you down..."

In a lot of our meetinga here we have a saying when offering chips, especially what we call our 'desire' chip (24-hr chip)....we ask if anyone would like one, or trade a wet one in for a dry one (at which time all other chips that the person may have accumulated may be turned in also).....therefore no lead weights........

(o:
NoelleR
Old 05-04-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Akua View Post
I know the reason I didn't tell him was just encase I wanted a drink and he would have never known I'd quit.
This is part of my situation...I don't declare that I have quit so there is no possibility of lying about my sober time - if I tell my wife I quit, what will the conversation be like if I choose to drink again - and will this put her on 'high alert' any time I am drinking.

I frequently go 3-4 days w/o, generally though I drink on the weekends. What I am working on currently is whether or not I am able to 'not drink for awhile' - whatever that means.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I don’t ever remember lying here on SR, however, I have relapsed twice since joining, and I certainly would not put it past me when I am in that mode. Early in my IOP treatment I definitely did lie about my drinking.

Where am I today? In the present I am pretty darned honest. If you ask me, “How are you?” I’ll likely tell you I am fine whether or not that is true, but as far as where I am, what I am doing, and how I am doing it, I am going to give you a straight answer. There may be many things that I am not being honest with myself about, however, these are the sort of things I will not know until I find them.

I am also pretty honest about the past, but a little wary of the inertia of personal history. I won’t lie about the past, but I may not be entirely ready to share either. It is completely contextual, depending on who you are and why you want to know.

And then there is the future. That is a sticky wicket if there ever was one. Can you lie about something you have not done? There are lots of philosophical cubby holes here that don’t really mean much in the end, other than to point out the limitations of language.

I think that honesty is a by-product of recovery and not a primary method for recovery. It is after all entirely possible, though unusual, to be an honest drunk.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've never lied in AA--only been to one meeting. I've definitely lied (or ommitted) in person, but on here I don't lie. I just become silent. Like now.

I totally get that lieing about it is really lieing to myself. But I'm okay with that. I am lieing to myself. That's how I can avoid doing something about this. Once I stop kidding myself, or deluding myself, or whatever, I will have to buck up.

Wouldn't want that, now would we?

Isn't lieing part of the syndrome?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
"...My question is: AA tells us its "One day at a time" If that is the case then was is there so my emphasis on how many days/months/years sober we are?..."

Although 'the people' in AA may use the catch phrase 'one day at a time' it can be found nowhere in the AA program. In fact, it's not found anywhere in the first 164 pages of the BB either. The founders of AA got sober 'for good and all' (in other words, no matter what they wouldn't pick up a drink, they quit forever, to never drink again).
I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just mention that you are correct on both the "one day at a time" (which comes from the serenity prayer) and on the approach of the original members, at least as far as the first group in Akron was concerned.

Relapse was not considered an option. I posted about this in the 12-Step Alcoholism forum:

Relapse and AA Group No. 1, Akron, Ohio, 1940
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
That's an interesting take. Step 1 (in AA's program of recovery) is all about my internal realization that I do not have the power to stay sober a day at a time.
Yep. There's a huge difference between living in the day (AA) and staying sober one day at a time (the philosophy of something else).

AA is not about winning the battle day in and day out. It's about the end of the fight.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think a big part of the reason I'd lie about it, is because sometimes old geezers at meetings I would go to would say stuff like, "Are you going to stick around this time?" All sarcastically. I'd bite my tongue, but I'll be honest, a lot of times I'd feel like saying, "Are you going to be alive tomorrow?"

I know they mean well, but their execution is nothing short of terrible. Nobody who's coming back wants to be told what a f****up they are. You already know.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-04-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Squizz View Post
I think a big part of the reason I'd lie about it, is because sometimes old geezers at meetings I would go to would say stuff like, "Are you going to stick around this time?" All sarcastically. I'd bite my tongue, but I'll be honest, a lot of times I'd feel like saying, "Are you going to be alive tomorrow?"

I know they mean well, but their execution is nothing short of terrible. Nobody who's coming back wants to be told what a fukkup they are. You already know.
You give them more credit than I would.

They don't mean well. They are using suffering alcoholics for leverage.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
You give them more credit than I would.

They don't mean well. They are using suffering alcoholics for leverage.
Indeed. They're a bunch of miserable old geezers. What I should say next time is: "I'd rather take a drink before get what you 'have'."

Thankfully though, it's usually only the one miserable geezer. He even has the audacity to say this sorta' stuff when I'm helping setup meetings he's going to, and even when I've been sober for MONTHS.

He's one of those people who isn't comfortable in his sobriety. You can tell. Everybody has bad days, but to be that miserable all the time...........would suck.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

we're drifting OT - lets refocus guys.

D
Old 05-04-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I have no reason to lie to anyone. I can't see any reason in lying. I'd ultimately only be hurting myself. Lying was part of fascade as an alcoholic. Unlying is part of my recovery.
97 days and no lie.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yes I have. I need the support and I fear I will lose it!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

No I don't lie about my 67 days, for me they are quite the accomplishment. But you bring up an interesting point John...am I counting my days so closely in preparation for the "inevidable" relapse? I' ve seen it often on SR and then I too can say I made it XX days only to start over again..........I hope not but will certainly give it some thought.
Interesting post and point.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You know I answered "no" because for me this is really my first time ever sober...but when I was drinking I sometimes told people I hadn't been drinking when they asked...this only happened once or twice.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I lied just this weekend after 2 years sober