Notices

Nervous First-Timer

Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome! Thinking about not drinking EVER again was terribly depressing to me in the beginning of my sobriety. I had spent 1/2 of my life drinking and didn't know how I would do anything without my wine.

But I was sick and tired of being sick and tired so I started relearning how to do things sober. Every time I did an activity without booze, I would be filled with anxiety and wanted nothing more than to calm my nerves with a nice glass of cabernet. But after I finished what I started, I would feel great. It's been 4 months since I started my sober journey.

Life is so much sweeter without booze. To experience things with all of your senses is incredible. I am not even close to being the same tired, worn out woman that I was on 12/30/10.

Just take one day at a time and at the end of the day pat yourself on the back. It is not an easy road. And don't forget to reward yourself with prizes along the way. With all of the money I save on wine and cig's, I don't feel 1 bit quilty getting a 2-hour massage every month. ha, ha. GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Whatcha. Glad you found us.
Like you I have been drinking forever...or so it feels. Life revolved around my sneaking, lying, hiding, denying, shameful habit of always satisfy my urge to drink. I have ever gone months or even years, I think....but no matter what happened I always ended up back in the cycle. Why? Because I didn't change my thinking about booze. "Just not drinking" didn't do it for me and as soon as I bought a bottle, I could kiss it goodbye.
But now? It's so different. I changed my thinking about drinking -about what happens to me, my world, my family. I went to rehab and was given the tools to successfully stay stopped. I also hit up AA when I can and spend alot of time here.
No one said you had commit to not drinking right this second. You need to be right with yourself. Your heart and mind have to be in agreement at the same time. You can't say your gonna quit and your hearts not in it. Then it just isn't gonna work.
Once you take that step stay close here...you will be amazed at the transformation in your life once you stay sober. My life is completely different than I ever imagined it could be now. Awesome.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was at an AA meeting the other day and there was a younger guy that had been addicted to both drugs and alcohol for many years saying "I just wanted the other shoe to finally drop so I could get clean." He never went into detail about whether it had happened or not but he was sitting there - and getting help.

I felt hopeless and miserable too. For me, the other shoe did drop as I was stopped by the Sherriff's dept. It was such a relief in a way - but it's made me a ward of the court now - and whether I chose to find an inner higher power, I've got the judge as a higher power regardless.

Watchagonnado - thanks for joining us. I assure you that you're not alone. It's a place where you can be honest and get input.

There are those of us who like the structured AA approach, others who won't have anything to do with it. Most of all - we're all fighting the same battle and we are here for each other.

It does get better- and weirder - but better. I'm learning how to be human again, how to be a dad and husband after 10 years! I'm getting to know my wife and kids for the first time.

I like AA because it works on the total person - doubtless, we have much wreckage in our wakes and AA helps me address it in a healthy, manageable way.

One thing that really helps people over the initial "hump" of sobriety is that wonderful "pink-cloud" many feel early on. I sense of goodness, power, enlightenment. It lasted long enough for me to get some decent sobriety under my belt and work on the challenges of life.

-Peace
SPG
Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatchagonnado View Post
I plan to go to AA and I see a therapist that specializes in addiction. I think my biggest problem in the past is thinking I can quit on my own and not tell anyone that I have a problem. I have also been being more honest about the extent of my problem to myself and the people closest to me. I have been so busy hiding it that I actually broke up with my fiance just so I could be alone to drink and he wouldn't be there to judge me or try and talk me out of it. Luckily, he still loves me and is a big source of support for me. I have tried medications to help me quit in the past and they made me really depressed or made me feel crazy. I have a lot of past trauma to deal with and getting sober is my first step to trying to work through all that and get to a place where I feel safe in my own skin. I am a very private person so getting on here is a huge step for me. And seeing how responsive and kind people are is really making me hopeful that I can do this and do it on my terms.
Watchagonnado,

That you are a very private person, I can relate to that for sure. I have always been someone to not share what is bothering me or opening up as to dealing with my emotions during my recovery process. The fact that you have posted here and are sharing with others is a huge sign of strength on your part. Strength is the ability to recognize you have a problem and taking the actions and courage to reach out for support. I had to learn that rather than keeping my secrets in private (rather than addressing them), it is a very courageous person that will have the humility to reach out to others.

Eventhough I don't tend to post that often, I find there is always something valuable from others on this board that provide me with lots of support to compliment my other tools (AA, addictions dr, CBT theripist).

So, if you don't feel like posting, you can always read something to help you in your recovery.

Welcome
Old 05-04-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatchagonnado View Post
I feel nervous like I am breaking up with someone. Like, how will I live without it? I want to quit and be healthy so bad but when I think of not being able to drink it freaks me out.
i feel exactly how you do...right now - thank you for sharing...