Notices

Q about withdrawal issues I'm having

Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Q about withdrawal issues I'm having

Hi all - 30 yr old male in socal. I had managed to go 14 days without a drink, got through the rough spot right after and went right back to vodka again. Now, back to getting off it again. I've gotten to the point where I'll drink a fifth a vodka a night 4-5 times a week.

I'm sweating like pig, which I expected since that was real bad the first time around, got tremors in my hands when I try to grip things or hold them still, which again I expected, but I'm having weird sensations in my calf muscles in my legs. Like my blood is percolating through my veins or something?

I don't know if maybe that is some other health issue I'm having or if that can be related to alcohol withdrawal? Anybody know?

The worst has been the loss of sleep I can barely sleep, sometimes not at all without alcohol. That took 3-5 days to pass last time and it was the worst. I had to focus up for finals and I literally didn't sleep a single minute before a couple of them. At one point inbetween them I just gave up put booze into my belly just so I could get a wink.

Ha, maybe the weird leg thing is from sleep deprivation :P

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You may want to consult your doctor about your detoxing. Although mine wasn't that bad I hear it can be very dangerous.
Glad you made the right choice to quit and Welcome!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you feeling restless leg syndrome? I am on day 8 of sobriety after a relapse from 10 years of being sober. For the first 6 days of sobriety this time, I had the WORST restless leg symptoms. Just as you described, I had the night sweats, couldn't sleep, tremors and also had restless leg syndrome (where it feels like little ants are just crawling up into your calves and you can't stop it).
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My W/D consisted of leg cramps, insomnia, night sweats, stomach cramps, and shakiness. They got progressively worse for 2 days. Saw my Dr. on day 3 for some medication to help reduce the withdrawl symptoms.

Wish that I would have seen my Dr. before day one.

If I were you, I'd be getting in to see a Dr.
Good Luck,

Zube
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The best thing to do is go and see your doctor GettinOffHooch nobody on this board can give medical advice. Detox can be dangerous... so it is best to consult with your doctor.

Congratulations on your sober time and welcome to SR.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got cramps in my lower back and my arm (because my hand was shaking so badly). I would suggest a visit to the doctor, detoxing is a dangerous journey, get some help from a medical professional.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

According to my wife, I had really bad muscle spasms at night and I had the DT's pretty bad my 2nd day. My doc also gave me something to help that really calmed me. Again, no medical advice other than talk to your doctor. They can and do help.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vodka was my drink of choice as well. I would drink a 5th a day as well. Towards the last few months of my drinking, it got to be around a bottle and a half a day/night. I know what your dealing with. After sleeping I would wake up with shakes all over. I would dry heave as well until I started to drink again. It was horriable! Thus why it took me so long to quit. I never denied I was an alcoholic, I just didnt want to feel like crap, so I would contiune to drink - It was an endless cycle. Well until recently.

9 Days ago I jumped off that Airline of alcohol. Im currently riding a bike with training wheels now lol.

But Ill tell ya, those first few days are HELL! You wont sleep much if any. You will feel strange, and not part of reality though dt's. At least I did. Just stay strong, and as for your legs, I wouldnt put it past nothing more then DT's. But if you feel extremely concerned yeah maybe see a doctor.

-Ryan

P.S. I didnt use any drugs to self medicate through DT's. I wanted to actually feel them for a good reminder of I NEVER WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN!!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi GOH,

Others have given the key response - check in with doc's for medical advice. I've read all the way through the 'What we went through' thread -which you should check out....I would also ask - did you have the same sensation during the very recent detox experiance?
Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GOH

It's always best to check with a Dr - that way you can rest easy...and maybe even get some relief

Welcome to SR
Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! I, too, would recommend seeing a doctor, being honest and going from there. Some people can quit cold turkey, get through the withdrawals and move forward. Others need medical help...alcohol withdrawals can be fatal. Every person's body is made up differently, time/damage from abuse is different, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm glad you found us! SR has been a huge part of my recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody

Interesting to hear the common experience, Ryan. I would get dry heaves, too! I tried to google around and see if that was related but didn't find really anything. Of course I knew that's what it was deep down.

SweetThing, I can't exactly remember if I did the last time? But I would bet so. Interesting to hear from everyone!

I wrote myself a letter last time to keep in my pocket to tell me what I was doing to myself, how I wasn't happy anymore, and think I started leaving it at home around day 10! Probably not a good idea.

I don't think AA is really for me but I did finally find someone to actually talk to about what I'm going through, and on here, too, so good things are happening!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've read that there is a tangible reason to the saying "Kicking the habit."

Literally, because when one is going through withdrawals your extremeties tend to flail and kicking or shacking your leg is a body response. So Kick the Habit!

I believe Stephen King, who openly had his own battles with the bottle wrote about this.

Keep fighting the good cause all!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Go see a doctor. Not only will they help you safely detox, they can give you something to make detox easier.