Notices

my list

Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my list

I saw Newwings make a list like this, so I'm going to give it a shot, get my thoughts out on paper:

WHY I THINK I'M NOT AN ALCOHOLIC:

- Not a daily drinker
- Was able to limit myself to a few drinks on occasion
- Am only 24, too young to be an alcoholic
- Never got a DUI
- Never arrested due to drugs or alcohol
- It's normal for people my age to binge drink

WHY I KNOW I'M AN ALCOHOLIC:
- Could never quit for more than a few days
- Drove drunk frequently, and one time got pulled over but blew under the legal limit
- Binge drank almost every weekend, and if I didn't felt like I was missing out on something
- Was starting to drink alone at night, telling myself that this is what adults do
- Became mean and ugly towards girlfriends when drunk
- Cheated on two girlfriends while drunk (really ashamed of this one, and don't blame it all on alcohol, but just my inability to express myself healthily in the relationship)
- Drank to fit in with others
- Felt like I needed alcohol as a crutch in social situations, that I was not funny or interesting enough without it
- Lost a great job due to alcohol/drugs
- Still want to drink despite all of the above...
Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow..thanks for doing this, Comanche. It's pretty scary seeing it in words, isn't it?! How do you feel now you've done it?

I felt SOOOO relieved to have finally written it out. It was like all the wrestling that's been going on in my mind for the last few years all came out. Clear and concise. We can all write long paragraphs about what's happened to us, but I feel that can kind of dilute it - and stick in a few 'buts'. Man, that word SUCKS! I've been telling myself "BUT" for so long. It was literally like that word negated everything I wanted to achieve. Writing plain lists lays it all right out there. Thanks for doing yours.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very good idea guys. I wrote mine down, felt good. Personally though i never had trouble admitting i was an alcoholic, i always had trouble conviencing my friends. Now i dont mind if they believe me or not. Reading my list just confirms it to me!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is scary seeing it written out but I think it can be very helpful, Comanche

D
Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great list Comanche.

I use the short form whenever I get to thinking why I'm not an alcoholic:

Alcohol is...

-cunning
-baffling
-powerful

Then I'll remind myself that I'll never "undo" my alcoholism, and usually go to an AA meeting.

The BAD news is, I'm an alcoholic,
But the GOOD news is, I'm an alcoholic.

Zube
Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks guys... i guess right now I just feel a lot of shame for what I've done to my family and girls who cared about me. I always told myself in my mind that I was somehow right and could blame all of my actions on others, but right now I just feel like a real piece of ****. Part of me definitely wants to just try and fix all of the mistakes I've made in the past and somehow go back to drinking so that I can just lead a "normal life", but I can't change the past. I guess I should be thankful that I'm still relatively young and can hopefully learn from all of these mistakes and change my future behaviors.

I am in AA right now, so hopefully I can make amends in the future that will relieve some of this shame I feel
Old 05-02-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you said"go back to drinking so that I can just lead a "normal life""
Why is that? I too think of a normal life involves drinking. Is that true? I mean does every normal life involve smoking? Is it healthy to have a drink or two every weekend?

Seriously im confused. I cant see what good drinking can do, although i too believe that a "normal life" invovles drinking..weird
Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by comanche View Post
- Still want to drink despite all of the above...
comanche...thank you for posting...what you said hits me...HARD...why is it that despite all the stupid messed up things we do while under the influence isn't ENOUGH to make me want to STOP....I can't post here as a 30day or longer, I had 5 whole days about a month ago & i'm struggling now with wondering IF it's really a problem. I should probably write a list like you did (i read the list you mentioned too)...i'm just afraid it will be soooo long!!!! prefering denial at the moment!

it looks like you are here searching as so many of us are...best of luck to you, you have a lot of reasons on your list to go for it, to get to sober. your post has really helped me in my state of mind right now, thank you!!