Notices

Hi - 1st post. I have been exposed... I hope to find help

Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi - 1st post. I have been exposed... I hope to find help

Hi.. My name is Pojman.

I have been a closet drinker for about 3 years. I have been drinking in secret, in the bathroom, in order to keep my family from finding out.

I grew up in an alcoholic, and drug addicted, family. We are all very functional, and highly manipulative people. Despite our drug addictions, we still have a very good income and community reputation.

I don't know how much you guys know about Mormons - but myself, my wife, my kids, and my whole family are all Mormon. Needless to say, drinking is a big NO-NO in our church.

I started drinking about 200-300mL of 50% whiskey, in a 5 minute sitting, back in 2008, and have had on/off times where I do it daily to every other day.

My wife had found evidence of drinking a couple times and through my powers of deceit I managed to successfully lie to my wife about it, and deny that it was mine.

Recently, my wife found evidence again of my secret. Instead of lieing about it, I just came clean and told her EVERYTHING about my secret.

This has come to a shock to my family, and word spread quickly. My wife is responding better than I had anticipated. But most of all, I am just glad that I do not have to live this lie anymore.

I can only hope that the damage to my health will get better with diet/exercise with no alcohol.

This exposure has caused my world to be completely different. I am sure some of the other secretive alcoholics here can understand what I mean.

Anyways - I have joined this forum in a hope to find as much support as possible. I hope you guys have room for another regular poster, because my journey starts today.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's ALWAYS room for another regular poster! You'll notice there are rather a lot of us, it's what helps me through the day. Welcome. I know you'll find a lot of help and support - and understanding - here.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am glad you decided to come here. I myself am a new poster..just under a week. I love the comfort I feel coming and reading posts and getting feedback as I need it. Welcome!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Glad you are here. It took a lot of courage to come clean with your wife. That is a huge step in recovery. I do hope you find the encouragement, strength, experience, and hope I have found in this forum. Take care and keep us posted on how things go.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Many of us were secretive drinkers; after all, active drunks aren't normally sought out as friends or lovers in society.

The good news is that there is life after drinking. Keep reading and try to come up with a plan on how you will stop and stay stopped. A lot of us found that quitting was not too hard, but that staying quit was extremely tough.

There are many plans or programs to help you. As you read about alcohol abuse, you will see how different people use different plans. Try the one that seems best to you. If it doesn't work, add something new or try a different plan. Best wishes. You can do it!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome to SR.

Keep posting and keep reading.

We can and do get sober and you can be living proof.

Kjell~
Old 05-02-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Welcome to SR There is always room for another, so glad that you are here! Thanks for sharing your story - it helps more than you'd think, perhaps giving another out there reading the courage to make their first post

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

-Jess
Old 05-02-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I think you'll fine a lot of people here who can relate to leading a double-life, and to the remarkable feeling of relief when you finally realize it's time to leave the sneaking and lying behind, and start being the person you want to be.

Best of luck on your journey—and I'm glad you're going to share it with us.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pojman

I can definitely relate to hiding my drinking, drinking in secret...I hope that telling your wife and coming here can be a turning point for you

D
Old 05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pojman View Post
I don't know how much you guys know about Mormons - but myself, my wife, my kids, and my whole family are all Mormon. Needless to say, drinking is a big NO-NO in our church.
I am going to take this to mean that you strive to be a practicing Mormon, and believe in a Heavenly Father, and in the Word of Wisdom.

Some people may try and suggest to you that your current religious faith is inadequate and insufficient to deal with your present problem. I disagree.

The Word of Wisdom is generally interpreted to prohibit the consumption of all alcoholic beverages, with the exclusion of sacramental wine, is it not?

Alcohol creates an appetite for itself, which in some people, is never satiated, but your religion provides a clear, concise, and definitive solution to this problem.

The question you need to ask yourself is: do you plan to heed it, or do you not?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

We definitely have room for you and you'll find lots of support here.

I know that letting go of the lies and living an honest life are the best part of recovery.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I wish you well on your sober journey.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome! You've just found a few hundred friends who know exactly what you're going through. None of us plan to let our drinking get out of control, but some of us seem to be very susceptible to it (and it is linked to genetics, too).

The good news is that there is help and hope for all of us if we're willing to seek it out. Hang in there - it gets better......!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Brave Heart

Congratulations on recognizing your illness and facing it honestly. I think you'll find this place a great help to you.

.....and you are very lucky to have a religion. It can be a tremendous source of strength and support to you if you open up your heart.

Good luck in your journey.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pojman,

The LDS church has their own adaptation of the 12 Step AA program that incorporates LDS teachings, kind of like a Pure Word sort of thing. Even moderate-sized Mormon populations should have these available. You're not the first LDS member with a drinking problem.