Notices

I'm new to this

Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new to this

Hello, I am looking for help, support and experienced advice. My husband is a cocaine user and I have begun to believe that he uses crack also. I've known him since I was 17 and he admitted to me only after we had been in a committed relationship at my age of 27 that he uses cocaine, but it wasn't that bad and he wasn't addicted. I did not like the idea of it, but not knowing anything at all about the drug I continued the relationship believing that he would stop. Now here it is 4 years later, 2 years married with a child and he is still using. He's started to pawn things, I don't trust him at all. I'm so lost right now and I am tired of him trying to make his problems and responsibilities mine. I'm tired of feeling guilty for wanting something better for me and my child. I'm tired of him being a dead weight in my life. I really just want to know where to start. I understand I can't make him want to quit and want to live better. I want to learn to stop enabling him and move on with my life drug and alcohol free. Please advice.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Carmelapple! I am new here as well. I believe there are threads that are for family members of abusers and they have drug abusers separate from the alcohol abusers, I believe. Take a look at the main page. Hope you get help soon!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Caramelapple))) - welcome to SR!! Here is the link to a forum full of people who have, or are, going through what you are, though you are most welcome on this thread, too.

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I'm a recovering crack addict, as well as a recovering codie (codependent) who has loved ones who are/were A's (addicts). Been on both sides of the street.

Crack made me do things I NEVER thought I'd do, and it will drain your very soul and income. I'm not gonna dump what I've learned in my 4 years of recovery on you, but I do highly suggest you limit or remove his ability to have access to your finances, remove or lock up anything that can be pawned (my ex pawned/sold everything in my house down to the vacuum cleaner when I was in jail and he was "supposedly" trying to come up with the bail money...he had one helluva party).

You may want to check out the other forum. I read and read, then read some more when I got here, and found out I was not alone. YOU are not alone, there are a lot of people here more than willing to offer their ES&H (experience, strength, and hope)

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-01-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR caramelapple

You'll find a lot of help here - please do also check out Impurrfects link to the FF forum as well

D
Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome carmelapple! Please take care of yourself and your little one. I think if you read around here, you will find many in your same situation. I'm sure you'll get some answers.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really do appreciate all the helpful information from you all. I will check out the other forum.