Notices

7 days despite British culture

Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days despite British culture

I'm giving myself a little pat on the back today, having reached one whole week - hurrah!
Last night was the toughest one so far, though. I had to occupy myself until after 1.00am before I felt sleepy enough to bother trying to go to bed. I even found myself watching QVC on TV - 'nuff said!!
The last 7 days have made me realise just how much the British way of life is focused around alcohol. The Royal wedding was an obvious time of celebration, of course. But when you're trying to maintain total abstinence, the TV advertising (both direct and indirect, through programme sponsorship), the street and railway posters, etc - it's in-your-face everywhere. Even the availability of alcohol: every little corner shop, 'offy' (off licence) and even in the petrol (gas) stations, of all places. Then when you consider the British social scene: alcohol is utterly entrenched within our culture. No celebration is complete without booze. No night out or even daytime spring/summer picnic. And as for our towns and cities in the evening, especially at weekends - sadly, a very yobbish, alcohol-soaked culture prevails.
All this seems 'normal' of course, until you realise that you're in trouble, and can't get off the conveyor belt.
Thankfully this forum has been a tremendous help.
I guess the next challenge for me is to avoid converting my obsessing over alcohol into self-indulgent and long-winded postings on this forum!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think the Australian culture is much different, ALAJ...

I've found alcohol got much less in my face as I went on, though, and I found a lot of people who didn't actually partake in the kind of alcohol sodden revelry I thought everyone did...so hang in there- keep committed, keep working and it'll get better

Congratulations on yr week
D
Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the week!! I found that first week one of the hardest and yes, it feels like everywhere you look, someone is having a drink. You are so not alone in that
Hang in there! See you around !
Old 05-01-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, it has more to do with the fact that I was always looking for the source of my addictions, be it on television, walking down the street, in conversation, what have you. If I was addicted to junk food, I would probably pay obsessive attention to every fast food advertisement.

My greatest struggle with this has been with marijuana. I always obsessed over finding psychedelic qualities in art, television, film, and music. Needless to say this compulsion led me to relationships and avenues that enabled my delusions.

It has certainly gotten better as I progress in my sobriety, that is for sure. It sure is nice to be able to have normal conversations with normal people rather than silly talks concerned about whether or not the makers of Fantasia were high during production, etc.!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Not much different here in the states either. The convenience stores at the gas station, the corner store, grocery stores, Alcohol is everywhere if I choose to see it everywhere.

When I first started my recovery, I left the hospital and drove myself to the Recovery House for Alcoholic Women that I had found I never saw anything I was so focused on getting to a 'safe' place. Later I drove that same route with a friend and we counted 217 places, be they liquor stores, convenience stores or grocery stores where I could have stopped to get some alcohol and that was 1981.

My point is that alcohol is everywhere if we choose to see it. The further along you get into recovery and work on you the less meaning it will have for you.

And before I forget .............................. Congrats on your 7 days. I understand how hard that must be for you with all the celebrations going on about the Royal Wedding!!!!! Keep up the good work.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-01-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a week!

I've found that after a while its become easy to ignore Britains drink culture, except to look at it and realize how hollow and boring it actually is.

Fortunately, events as mind-numbing as the royal wedding only come about once a decade or so.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One WEEK! Way to go..keep on keepin on..I am thinking you said you concentrate on the biological aspect of what drinking does to you. I look at the whole picture. I felt like I was losing my mind towards the end of my drinking marathon. I have a police scanner..last night around 11:30PM the cops called the ambulance to one of our many watering holes. Two drunks duking it out..I know a few that go up to the biggest guy in the bar slinging insults because they had a snootful and are six foot tall and bullet proof! I suspect it was that or someone p!ssed at an illegal pool shot. It was early for that..Usually the pool sticks don't start to fly until closing time at 2AM..I really don't miss that..Hang in there..sobriety does get better and better!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Many thanks for the encouragement and congrats on my first 7 days - I do appreciate it. This forum has been a major help.
Quick comment in response to SPQR: I must say that I shared your indifference toward the royal wedding, and avoided watching any of the televised build up, despite my wife's constant 'nagging' to do so.
However, I did tune in from the point of Kate's arrival at Westminster Abbey and the wedding ceremony and have to confess that I found the whole thing very moving.
Perhaps an alcohol deficiency has revealed more of my feminine side!!!
Thanks again folks. AL&J.