Notices

Does anyone use a journal?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone use a journal?

Hi All! I was just wondering if anyone uses a journal to keep record of their thoughts/feelings during the recovery process. I have been thinking of doing this and wondered if it has helped anyone.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I did and it helped me a lot.

It wasn't at the beginning of my recovery but it came at a point where I was stuck in guilt and shame and unable to forgive myself. Someone suggested journalling to me and it was hard to get started, but it really helped. I think it's a great tool.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugh I think I would DIE without my journal!! I seriously can feel the difference in my mood when I don't write opposed to when I get it all out on paper. I think some times we can exhaust our support systems so it's good to use a journal as another outlet. It's also a place where we can be COMPLETELY honest.
I find when I start pouring all my emotions on to paper... even after an entry that has brought me to tears as I vigorously write it all out... I feel better... My message to "myself" eventually takes a positive spin. I start to build myself up and throw out the things I need to get myself to do.

Anyway, it definitely couldn't hurt!!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I did at the beginning. It's nice to look back and see how far I've come.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've kept an online journal/blog for a long time. I still find it helpful too to write my thoughts down on paper, it can help clarify things for me and helps to 'externalize' it.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you! I am going to start one.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

I journal. I've done it very sporadically most of my adult life, with months or years between entries. I started keeping a (more or less) daily journal since I got sober almost three years ago.

I write about things that are bothering me. Or things that make me happy. I write about pretty much anything.

One of the interesting things about recording my thoughts is that I can look at what I was thinking about a year or two or three ago. I can see how I am changing.

How do I do it? I use a web-based email service. It allows me to save drafts of messages. I write myself an email and work on it all month. At the end of the month I mail it to myself and stash it in a journal folder.

Tomorrow is May 1st. I will begin a new draft called "Diary, May, 2011". It will look something like this:

"5/1, #1060
May day at last! I plan to go mountain biking at the state park this morning, etc."

Note: barring relapse, tomorrow should be my 1060th day of sobriety.

Good luck with your journaling! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do
Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...I did for about 5 years...it was immensley useful....

No Blogging or FB for me tho...mine was too personal and
loved ones mentioned could be upset .
Old 04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think everyone should keep a journal, addict or not. What's the harm? You're only going to record your thoughts on life at whatever time you're writing. Go nuts. Write down everything. It'll never hurt you.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This site will serve as a great journal if you stick around long enough. The best thing about it, you can't lose it!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
This site will serve as a great journal if you stick around long enough. The best thing about it, you can't lose it!
I agree totatlly . Going back and reading posts that I wrote from day 1 has already been very helpful.

It is a good reminder of how quickly things can change for the better.

L
Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I did at the beginning because I wanted to note the physical and emotional changes.

The thing about it that was most useful was that I wrote down some of the reasons I wanted to quit. A few times I needed those reminders why I was quitting.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunn View Post
I think everyone should keep a journal, addict or not. What's the harm? You're only going to record your thoughts on life at whatever time you're writing. Go nuts. Write down everything. It'll never hurt you.
I have always been an avid journaller and agree with this. I found it impossible to deny I had a problem with alcohol when I was writing the same thing over and over...different countries, different years, same concerns about my drinking. I have also got benefit from what I wrote when drunk (what could be read!) Who was that nutcase? Oh, me on wine!

I also got into visual journalling a few years back and now use words and scribbles. How I feel today...a big grey scribble! (This doesn't require artistic talent.)
Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do. i find it immensley helpful and I carry it in my bag with me at all times. If I can't talk to someone when I am having a rough moment or whatever, i can at least write it down
I have started to blog a little on here too and have found it very cathartic...hope you find that writing it all out helps you
Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TotallyOverIt View Post
I have always been an avid journaller and agree with this. I found it impossible to deny I had a problem with alcohol when I was writing the same thing over and over...different countries, different years, same concerns about my drinking. I have also got benefit from what I wrote when drunk (what could be read!) Who was that nutcase? Oh, me on wine!

I also got into visual journalling a few years back and now use words and scribbles. How I feel today...a big grey scribble! (This doesn't require artistic talent.)
I love your idea about visual journalling....might use it! Thanks!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For those of you who "paper" journal? How do you secure it? I want to paper/pencil journal but would walk around in fear that somebody would find it!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I adore journaling. I've been doing it for a very long time prior to when my struggles with addiction came 11 years ago. It's always been real helpful for me to have a positive outlet. I encourage all to journal/blog.

-Jess
Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

I filled a whole notebook within the first two months. I'm about to finish the second notebook. I find it very useful to put my thoughts and emotions on the page. And, I like a private journal because I can be totally honest and specific.

LSNP . . . I don't secure mine, but I've heard of some people writing an opening letter that any snooping person would find that basically says, "don't read this, and if you do, anything you read that upsets you will not be my responsibility but yours for reading against this warning." A good idea, I think, if there is anyone in your household who does not understand this basic rule of privacy.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

LSNP,...I lived alone so there was no one to snoop.
but A friend of mine kept his under the mattress.

I still think paper is more private than net journeling
Old 05-01-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to journal a ton, but it became a burden for me after I started expecting myself to write X amount every day, review Y amount every weekend and Z amount at the end of every month. Now I just write down two or three thoughts a day, and I usually go back and look at my journals once or twice a year. I agree with Reggie, this site works better than a journal in many respects.