Notices

Yesterday was awful

Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dfw

Yesterday was awful

I'm thankful that even though yesterday was awful, I am still committed to being sober.

Now…as I posted before, I knew I was going to be seeing my ex-girlfriend in the evening, but I wasn't prepared for being given my termination papers at work. Turns out it's due to budgetary constraints, so at least I'm getting off amicably. I have 1 month left, but at the end of May I'm unemployed.

Additionally that evening when I was at my friend's concert, I was trying to not look so down about losing my job…which it turned out was hard to do. My ex-girlfriend talked to me for a while and I told her what happened during the day. Seemed like things were going well, at least as friends.

Then after the concert she texted me and we started texting back and forth…she then told me to call her. At which point she told me she was emotionally numb to everything that had happened, and that we could never be just friends. She wished me luck in my recovery, and we were able to joke around a bit towards the end of the conversation.

All of this is pretty rough to deal with, but I'm accepting what she had to say and trying to move forward with my life. I applied to like 10 jobs today, some of which were internal transfers, I decided today I need to quit smoking cigarettes (smoked my last one maybe 10 minutes ago), and I am still sober. I feel sort of indifferent to everything today, since I'm doing all I can myself. Something has to give and go right sooner or later.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Amazing! Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that losing your job can turn into a positive thing for you. Maybe it's time for you to move internally as you said, or possibly try something different. At any rate, hopefully you will find a new job soon.

I'm sure that the breakup was hard, but it sounds like you're coping well.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dfw

Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
Amazing! Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work.
Thank you! I actually finally broke through my musical writers block this morning, so that's helping too. And I've got a friend coming over at like 2 today, so that should be relaxing.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's great that you can go through the rough patches and not only stay sober, but decide to quit smoking as well. I wish you luck!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Life is not a continuum. It is cyclical. Happy periods. Sad periods. If we are lucky it is long and we will be able to reflect. You sound like you really have it together. You have a month to get going and you have already got ten applications out! Yay for you.

And if your company is struggling at this point, it might be time to find another anyway. Since you are changing so many things in your life, you might want to use this opportunity to find something else to do with your life.

Keep your chin up! Why do people say that? Seems it makes a better target when up!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
Keep your chin up! Why do people say that? Seems it makes a better target when up!
Because when you're looking down at the ground you look depressed, and I think it makes you feel more depressed when all you're taking in is the dirty floor. Not quite sure what you mean by the target comment?? *ducks from snipers*
Old 04-29-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think maybe you are a very strong person. I think it is great that you have quit smoking as well, I do know however that giving up too much at once can lead to disaster, however you may be much stronger than I am. Keep moving forward and i hope in all of this that I can be as strong as you are. You are an inspiration to others, such as myself, trying to find the streng to quit drinking. take care
Old 04-29-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dfw

Originally Posted by jakobkelly View Post
I think maybe you are a very strong person. I think it is great that you have quit smoking as well, I do know however that giving up too much at once can lead to disaster, however you may be much stronger than I am. Keep moving forward and i hope in all of this that I can be as strong as you are. You are an inspiration to others, such as myself, trying to find the streng to quit drinking. take care
Thanks jakobkelly, I actually teared up when I read this.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Wow dfw. That is incredible that you were remained strong throughout all of these things, that is admirable. Congrats on your continuing recovery

-Jess
Old 04-29-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Incredible work

That is absolutely amazing that despite the rough couple of days you've had, you are still committed to staying healthy. You have just given me a ton of inspiration to do the same and just roll with whatever happens. I am starting to feel like even a crummy day sober is far better than a "wasted" one. Thank you so much for being a trooper!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

DFW, you are more than welcome. It is the truth and I think that your strength will help me to be stronger. I only made it 2 days and had a drink, that really makes me feel like alcohol has more of a hold on me that I realized. So if you can make it through all that you are going through and not drink, maybe I can be stronger and make it to.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your rough day dfw, but I'm so impressed with the way you've handled it
inspirational

D
Old 04-29-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dfw

Thanks for all the support you guys. I wish everyone else as much luck in recovery!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm very impressed. That's a ton to handle and not relapse. You're a great catch! Her loss!