Notices

Trying this again...posting not sobriety

Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying this again...posting not sobriety

Not sobriety...POSTING! LOL
I wrote a nice big heartfelt post and for some reason it went buh-bye! So...I will try this again...hopefully, I can get my one brain wave to line up again. Guess it wasn't meant to be the first time.

I wanted to post for two reasons. One of which, is because I think it is important for people that are losing control to alcohol to have a sense of security that it can be done. They are NOT alone and everyone is fighting some kind of battle in their life and in their head.
2. Not that I want to toot my own horn because I don't want to ruin my karma, but tooting is a productive part of recovery. To be able to say, hey, I did it for this long or I only did it for this long but am trying again...can be important to your self worth.
And let it be known to the judges, these are all my own personal thoughts. Nothing is quoted from AA or the Pope. Hopefully, they are understandable because sometimes I get lost in my head. It's a big empty lonely place with only one brain cell floating around.

So, my fellow sobrarians, where does one start? As with anything...in the beginning, with the first step or first act of real action. There are alot of feelings that coincide with being an alcoholic, as we know, but thinking them and taking action are two different things. I am at a point where I may feel a certain feeling but stop and think first of my plan of action. Usually it is from the gut and your gut feeling is 100% right all the time. I think that is how I got this far. If I didn't go with my gut there would have been alot of bad choices and that is going against the life's grain. There is alot to be said about thinking with your heart and following your journey. Things are placed before us ei. struggles, challenges, achievements, etc. for a reason. Not just to give us a rainbow of drama in our lives. We need to learn from each situation and stop and think which feeling coincides with each emotion and deal with it appropriately. That's what normal people do, I'm told.
Then when it works -you think...Boy, did I luck out. Well, sort of. It was meant to happen that way because you took action at the most opportune second and it was positive. That's all luck is -action and opportunity coliding at the same time.

Alot of us may think...I've made a mistake, my life is a mistake, everything I do is wrong...Why? because you aren't paying attention to your heart. Mistakes are a good thing. They are a learning tool that we take for granted and use it as an excuse for failure. It is quite the opposite. It is a process of learning that gives us a free do-over card. Try again. Learn the lesson and move on. It took me 30 years of lessons learned to get to where I am right now. And everyone is right where they should be in the universe right this second. We all have a plan and it is up to us to except that plan.
When someone is placed in your life...mentally evaluate that person. Think to yourself, are they beneficial to my recovery or should I release them? If you have any sense of negatively towards their presence in your life -release them until they return. Then time may be ready for that relationship. I have excepted a few people in my life over the process of my sobriety and know their role in my recovery, in my heart and they were placed in my path for a reason. You will know -again, go with your gut. People are extremely important in your recovery. This is not an easy struggle alone.

I want to truly thank the elders of the board that are consistantly patient and devoted to the raw emotions of new comers that have a desparation in their post to quit their addiction. It is so easy to say that no one understands and no one is there for me. Sorry, that excuse doesn't work here...this is an honest group of folks with a strong desire to, besides keep their own sobriety, help others along their pathes...again, follow that path and take the appropriate steps to follow your heart.
A few rules that I follow in dealing with those steps are...
1. Keep it simple
2. Keep the Faith
3. Live one day at a time
4. Be true to yourself first and honesty falls into place with everything else.
5. Stay in touch with your reality, a dormant head is a dangerous one.
6. Stay out of the liquor store.

Love, Light and blessings for peace in your hearts.

Me.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I adore your practical plan of attack--especially number six. And frankly, if we can just do that one, the rest follow. No matter what, stay out of the liquor store!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exactly! It took me a long time to learn what you just said!
I think going into the liquor store can be a problem. *snicker*

PS. That was s'posed to be my 90 day sobriety post...but I never mentioned that! LOL
Old 04-28-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulation on the 90 days!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hi Emerald Rose,

I haven't posted for a long while but am still sober...22 years now. I have been busy taking care of my mental health issues which can take most of a day sometimes along with chronic pain with my arthritis & fibromyalgia.

I ADMIRE your plan of action for your Sobriety! It takes what it takes to get it done & to keep on doing it....staying sober!

I still use the Serenity Prayer & Sobriety Slogans in my daily life. The Serenity Prayer has saved me & my sanity many times over.

Keep up the good work!!!!!!

kelsh
Old 04-28-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excellent post, think i am going to print off your 6 rules and tape to the inside cover of my little notebook that i carry with me.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
I adore your practical plan of attack--especially number six. And frankly, if we can just do that one, the rest follow. No matter what, stay out of the liquor store!
But what if I can't stay out of the liquor store?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
The first rule of Recovery Club is to follow rule six!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think you know! LOL
Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I mean the question honestly.

If I'm powerless over alcohol I can't stay out of the liquor store.

I've demonstrated this time and time again.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What about the grocery store?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I did say the rules that I follow. If it were someone else they would have to re-evaluate their program and their thinking. They'd be on a different road in their recovery than I would be. I thought you were kidding! I'm sorry.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh, I'm powerless over alcohol and I spend inordinate amounts of time in karoake bars. My husband thinks he's a star (now that I'm sober I no longer agree) but I will not take that from him.

So last night I'm at the bar. I know I can improve the singing with two beers (I would drink them rather than whacking someone over the head with them although that was tempting). It was my worst, most physical temptation yet. I started bargaining with myself. Maybe you can have just one...look, there's no problem...

But it's about saying "NO." That's it. All the thinking about all the reasons and all the symptoms and all the standards are fodder for another battle. The battle is either yes or no and the instant you tell yourself no and stop thinking about it--you're out of the liquore store. I can do it. You can do it.

HAPPY 90 ER!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy 90 days, that's awesome!!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

If I'm powerless over alcohol I can't stay out of the liquor store.

I've demonstrated this time and time again.
FJ - Sounds like you might benefit from AA, Friend.

ER - Congrats on your 90 days!!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

6. Stay out of the liquor store.
I found it real hard to get drunk when I'm not poring booze down my neck. Fortunately I never lost control of what my body was doing as my brain haplessly watched....LOL.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
Oh, I'm powerless over alcohol and I spend inordinate amounts of time in karoake bars. My husband thinks he's a star (now that I'm sober I no longer agree) but I will not take that from him.

So last night I'm at the bar. I know I can improve the singing with two beers (I would drink them rather than whacking someone over the head with them although that was tempting). It was my worst, most physical temptation yet. I started bargaining with myself. Maybe you can have just one...look, there's no problem...

But it's about saying "NO." That's it. All the thinking about all the reasons and all the symptoms and all the standards are fodder for another battle. The battle is either yes or no and the instant you tell yourself no and stop thinking about it--you're out of the liquore store. I can do it. You can do it.

HAPPY 90 ER!
Yeah, I was able to say "No" a couple times.

Not sure I can win a lifetime of fighting temptation, though. That sounds like a pretty rough existence.

So I recovered from alcoholism instead. Now I don't want to drink.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
So, my fellow sobrarians
I LIIIIIKE it! Hahaha! Sounds so intellectual, dignified and important.

Congrats on your clean time!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am glad I read this.
It is really late here and I am about to sign-off, and I see this.

Big huge congratulations!

Stay out of the liquor store. Brilliant!!!! 8 (Guinness commercials)
90 days, and here's to 900 more!!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glitter View Post
I LIIIIIKE it! Hahaha! Sounds so intellectual, dignified and important.
That's because we are. We are important. There is no reason why we should think otherwise.

Someone sent me an email -a joke. It started out by saying "Liars, thieves, alcoholics and bums..." I was mildly offended to think that we are in that classification. I did read the joke, it wasn't all that funny but I think that people don't realize, we are people, too.
Like my counselor told me...if you told me you were the president of the highest wall street company he'd be happy but not fall down surprised. Why? Because we are very smart folks here...there is no reason not to succeed in what you put your mind to. We just made bad choices, is all.