Notices

Verstecken

Old 04-27-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Verstecken

It's a German word...it means "to hide".

Today in rehab (Day 8), we talked about how we used up a lot of energy, in planning our next drunk, and in HIDING alcohol in strategic spots around the house.

It was amazing to hear my fellow alkies talk about this....thank God I have them to relate to.

My wife and kids found most of my hiding spots, over the last few months, and so I would be at work, racking my brain as to WHERE to next hide my booze...if that isn't the definition of insanity, I don't know what is.

Can anyone relate?

:-(

Kelly
Old 04-27-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just recently found an empty wine bottle under the sink, insanity is I live alone lol. I also used to buy the cooking wines in the satchet and fill up my wine bottle after a few drinks with it, go figure. It made me feel like I had not had that much of the bottle!

Good going Kelly I have been reading your threads and am very impressed you seem to have really embraced things. Keep up the great work!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Yep, I can relate. I had some great spots too. Never got busted. Course I almost drank myself to death and all that other stuff that seems insane now too. Glad you're in rehab, Kelly.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hid my bottles so well even I couldn't find them!!

Thanks for the update!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Exclamation

Hid my vodka in the one spot not only out of the way but off limits to everyone but me.....the gun locker. I see YOUR insanity and RAISE you one....
Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

id hide my extra beer in my tool box or on a high shelf and in many other places, that was not so long ago either, i guess thinking about it now i did put a lot of effort into my drinking.

i have told my wife i was taking the trash out or something simular just so i could walk quikly a mile to the store just to kill another six pack and got away with it most times.

i am glad thats in the past and now i have to continue working on keeping it there.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I would forget where I hid bottles too. And, then tear the house apart in frustration.

I don't miss those days.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

I would usually kill between 4-6 hard lemonades on my commute from work to home, leaving a trail of empties in the ditch during the last few miles of my trip. I would also buy a fountain coke to help mask my breath from my unknowing bride.

Once home, I had stashes:

1. In a large trash bag in the corner of my garage.
2. Under the carpet in my car trunk, atop the spare tire.
3. In my office closet
4. In the walk-in attic upstairs

Standard procedure was to crack a beer from the fridge very soon after getting home so as to "put" alcohol on my breath. Once that aromatic cover in place, it was on. During the course of the evening I would down another 2-4 beers from my various stashes and maybe another beer or two from the fridge supply. A typical "stash raid" occured under the pretense of...

1. Whoops, I "forgot" something out in my car (sometimes I would intentionally leave my lunch bag or other item in the car so that I "had" to go get it at some point during the evening).

2. Honey, I need to go upstairs to the office to "pay a bill" real quick.

3. Wife needs go pee? Sweet....I'll haul ass to a stash and slam a beer or two while she's in the bathroom.

4. Wife needs to poop or shower...double bonus!!

With that, only God knows more than y'all about my hidden drinking life.

INSANITY
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

dang Ranger, you were as bad as i was, my wife was so into american idol i could get away with anything and at times i could walk right in past her with extra beer while she was watching and she'd never know, truth is she trusted me.

it's good to know i'm not alone but deciving my wife does make me feel shameful, i got a lot of mending to do.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by SomethingBetter View Post
...deciving my wife does make me feel shameful, i got a lot of mending to do.
Fo shiz, SB. About a month ago I joined a step group to help me work through the shame and guilt left behind by nearly 15 years of hiding my alcoholism from pretty much everyone. I was married for only the last three years of my active addiction. Twelve years before that, I was a 20 year old student alone in my room drinking sixers three nights a week. In between those periods, I was mostly lying to myself.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

About a year after I got sober, I found an unopened beer can in my closet. It made me sick to think of the extent I went to...to be a drunk. So glad I don't have to do that anymore. So glad.