Notices

2nd AA Meeting

Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Missy: Thanks for saying that. I'm sorry for the loss of your father.

It is hard to relate when the people in the room are not in my same situation. Everyone says to try to connect to someone, and I seemingly can't. If I saw that the guy down the hall is battling too, I feel it would help me relate. I'm not saying that all of us don't have the same problem, or that I'm better than, I'm just trying to connect.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I don't have much of a choice where I go unless I drive over 30 miles one way. I haven't felt the desire to need a meeting 'that bad' that I needed to do that.
It's like church...it takes some time to find the right church and fully connect with the congregation and preacher. You may get something out of it, you may decide this is not your way of worship and move on. It is a personal thing. You do what you feel is comfortable.
I've been to a couple meetings where I got nothing. Why even take the horse out of the barn, so to speak. But I look at it this way. I'm present, I'm making myself available to other opportunities. Had I stayed home, I might have missed a healing moment for someone else. Someone who had a meeting like I just did, the last time.
So I go...with hope and good intentions.
That rambunctious guy sounds like he has a dominant personality. (Can you imagine what he was like while drinking?)
The best way to deal with those types is to ask them alot of questions. If you are doing the asking, you are controling the conversation and his usual personality is subdued by being off guard. I used to do that in my company if a customer was less than happy.
I guess I have just come to realize that everyone is different and unless they are armed I'm not intimidated to approach them.
But, the bottom line of all my blah blah blah is you need to find someplace that YOU are conmfortable. Good Luck! =)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Thanks Emerald!