Notices

Quitting......

Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting......

.... Everything?

Ok. So I have a plan. Continue abstinence for two to three weeks (as a DECISION to improve my life).

Quit caffeine after a month or so without alcohol.

Get a script for Chantix.

Quit smoking after being off alcohol and caffeine for approximately two months.

Does that sound like a sound plan? Or am I attempting too much too soon? Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Plans are good - but life does have a way of getting in the road LOL

I'd see how you feel at the end of your month

D
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like the goals for the long term but I'd take things one step at a time. That's just me though- perhaps I'm not as strong as you are.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

putting a timeline on abstinence was always useless for me. That's a 2-3 week period you have to plan your next bender.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me it's one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. Good luck in your journey!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

I kicked nicotine at 60 days sober, so it's certainly doable. I think having made up my mind to permanently abstain from alcohol AND nicotine made it easier. And I know that as long as I don't take a single drink or smoke a single cig, it will remain easy.

I limit my caffeine and have thought about quitting to lessen my occasional anxiety, but haven't made up my mind yet.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

LSNP - FWIW, I believe the very fact you are planning bodes well for your future. Excellent job.

You have a great framework of positive, "macro" changes. Have you fleshed out any specifics of an abstinence plan? The sun might be shining on your sobriety now, but the odds are a storm or two is on the way. Nothing you can't weather, of course, but now's the time to prepare.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
putting a timeline on abstinence was always useless for me. That's a 2-3 week period you have to plan your next bender.
This is a good point and I appreciate the response. However, I miscommunicated. I wasn't really time-lining the period of abstinence as much as I was giving myself that much time before attempting the quit of something ELSE.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
The sun might be shining on your sobriety now, but the odds are a storm or two is on the way. Nothing you can't weather, of course, but now's the time to prepare.
Actually, it was pretty icky today...... felt very blah and could have used a drink... so I understand what you are getting at. I am trying to plan now, I guess, and prepare as best I can.

I really HAVE to stop smoking. It is going to kill me if I don't.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fulminouscherub View Post
I kicked nicotine at 60 days sober, so it's certainly doable.
Way to go! Thanks for sharing. Did you find that you used the same type of coping techniques with nicotine that you did with alcohol?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your plan has a lot of big goals. But there are probably dozens of short term steps you need to complete to achieve those big picture goals.

An analogy . . .

It sounds like your goal is to walk 1000 miles. That's a big, long range goal. An ancient Chinese proverb says that a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. There are a whole bunch of steps necessary before you hit the 1000 mile mark, and I think there are a whole bunch of steps you need to achieve before you accomplish your bigger goals. Maybe you have all that figured out already.

Good Luck.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Your plan has a lot of big goals. But there are probably dozens of short term steps you need to complete to achieve those big picture goals.

An analogy . . .

It sounds like your goal is to walk 1000 miles. That's a big, long range goal. An ancient Chinese proverb says that a journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. There are a whole bunch of steps necessary before you hit the 1000 mile mark, and I think there are a whole bunch of steps you need to achieve before you accomplish your bigger goals. Maybe you have all that figured out already.

Good Luck.

This is a great analogy. Thank you. I don't have anything figured out yet but I have been practicing coping strategies. I deep breathe when I begin to feel anxiety, I try to self-affirm more often, I am trying to face FEAR head-on, particularly because it is learned fear from trauma and totally reactive and irrational... and I am, most of all, trying very hard to live in the NOW and not in the past (which I am finally beginning to accept is something I cannot change) or the future (because what it holds is anybody's guess - I tend to "predictive" think and lean toward the worst scenario, I think to maintain control.... which is a joke because I just freak myself out over a black hole).

So... if these are the steps, then I guess I am trying to take some. I have a major event in my future that will re-open wounds and expose me to some of the same trauma that played a big part in getting me where I'm at... and I want to face it, this time, with self-confidence and strength instead of fear and self-loathing.

I'll get there, I hope. And it will be well worth the trip.

Last edited by LSNP; 04-27-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Typos