Notices

LIVER DAMAGE..scared..please

Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi Trey and Humbled,

I hear you loud and clear. I was terrified I'd destroyed my liver. I came to SR, in fact, after googling "alcohol, liver damage" and it popped up.

So...in my case the fear of liver damage did me some good. It actually broke through my denial.

I agree with Dee, though, that even that fear won't keep you sober indefinitely and you should have a plan.

Hope you can use this fear as a benchmark and remember where you don't want to be....
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
orangutan

JediTrey and Humbled I am in that place myself I have my abdoman scan on Tuesday Just want to say hang in there my second blood work came back higher than the first and I have spent most of this year sober with 3 or 4 nights out of this year where I did drink. I am on day 44 now.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am a fan of Google diagnosis..any ailment I put in..puts me on my death bed. I finally quit doing that after a few scares. I had no idea that pain in your shoulder is a liver warning..I am off to someone elses thread. I don't like this one..
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome Trey...you are lucky your drinking was only out of control for less than two years. And yes, I have heard of more drinking than that.
I drank most of (ok, all of) my adult life on and off -which is a good 30 years or so.
I'm glad you have taken the step to quit as I'm assuming this liver problem has scared the bajeebees out of you to ever start again.
I've had a few incidences with Doctors and their lack of beside manner. (Nothing personal, Lipitor)
I had a leg tumor in my teens and the doctor plainly stated to my Mother that it was a good thing you got her here to save her leg AND that I'd never ski, etc, again.
Well, the tumor was benign and I needed no further treatment...I still have 2 legs and I don't need a walker -yet.
Point is, I think he jumped the gun giving us alittle more worry than we needed at that moment. It was unnecessary.
Maybe yours did the same without proper testing. Thursday is not that far away. Worrying is NOT going to solve anything at this point. I understand your fears but knowing you have friends here to talk to should be of some comfort. And don't be sitting on the computer all night looking stuff up. That's looking for reasons to worry!
Glad you're here and keep us posted on you appts.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Lipitor, i'm a surgical admin for senior med students....and my brother has high cholesterol.....i love the analogy....and your head does not look fat at all.
I think he meant a big ego. But he comes across as genuine and funny so I think the lipitor worked. Unless you were joking Fandy?

Fear is one of the best motivators, I'm glad you're using it to your advantage Trey! Your doctor was probably just trying to make sure you will never return to the bottle, then there could be some serious problems.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Lipitor, i'm a surgical admin for senior med students....and my brother has high cholesterol.....i love the analogy....and your head does not look fat at all.

THanks so much...You should see it with the rubber bands taken off. LOL.

I did mean, Inflated ,,,ie ego, self importance all that bloke stuff.

But appreciate it

L
Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I was wondering about your name too
Lipitor is an ancient Aztec word meaning , : Envy of all men, Really really really good looking (to quote zoolander) , great cook and tells the odd bit of bull ^%$&

Thanks for asking

L

( I hope a bit of humour is allowed here )
Old 04-27-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks all, I appreciate all of your insight and stories..it's true, if you try hard enough , you can find waaayy too much info on the internet that basically says you're dead
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are still with us jedi...and still sober too.

we are just having a bit of humor and not at your expense at all. If you want,take a picture of your face every week since you have stopped drinking...you will see a big difference in the bloat and clarity which might encourage you to feel better too.

humor is a good vitamin for everyone
Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

What you said about the internet... I remember one time I was worried about something so I went browsing on the net for symptoms... scared the bejesus out of me. But it's all worst case scenario and taken out of context. So much wiser to see a doctor and get checked out.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wanted to see if Humble

is out there and how his Dr./Liver appointment went. I'm freaking out about mine...I have absolutly no craving or desire for booze, especially with this worrying covering in fear right now
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My opinion:

Trey.... had my blood work done 2 months ago because of high blood pressure 180/110 and everyone of my liver tests were spiked. He asked how much I drank and I sadly said pint of vodka and 2-3 glasses a wine. He said "a week" and i thought oh my! No a day. he said absolutely freaked and said to quit. Well guess what i didnt until 8 days ago and went to Dr. today. BP 108/68 but of course I'm on 20/12.5 but also ordered another blood test in a month. I'm 40 and I'm confident things will get back to normal over time. I've heard the liver is remarkable and is the only organ that can regenerate itself. Stay calm and get to the gym. I drink about 2 gallons of water a day, have always ate very healthy and still do, take vitamins, omegas, any veggies and fruits that help liver function (broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage,Prunes, raisons, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, plums, oranges, pink grapefruit, cantaloupe, apples and pears) eat tons of the stuff! just research and you will see what all that can help. Good luck! Glad your on SR! 8 days is great working on 9 to be fine!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

thanks Hoping...
Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JediTrey View Post
is out there and how his Dr./Liver appointment went. I'm freaking out about mine...I have absolutly no craving or desire for booze, especially with this worrying covering in fear right now
Trey- Thanks for asking! Went this morning. Explained everything in honest detail. I gave the doctor my diagnosis, she was not at all impressed that I know how to use google.

She palpated my upper right quadrant (where the liver, pancreas, and gall bladder live) then took a look at my right shoulder.

She asked what I had been drinking (does it matter?), I said pretty much whatever was in front of me.

She asked how much was I drinking and I told her around 15 drinks a day give or take, she was impressed then. I think most people lie.

She then asked if I was drunk currently, I said people go to the doctor drunk? She said yes. (Wow) I told her I was off the sauce for good God willing.

She said usually if pain in the right shoulder is related to problems with any of the aforementioned organs than the organ will be enlarged, feel firmer than normal, and will be sensitive to the touch. None of which was the case with me. Therefore she was leaning toward, I just got a boo boo that I didn't remember and it is taking a while to heal.

However, since I am fairly young and fit there is still a chance that my problem is a sign of organ trouble and I just don't have any of the typical sensitivity or inflammation, which isn't completely uncommon. So they took blood to run tests on organ function.

So I celebrated with a few shots Makers and a bottle of 1996 Caymus Cab. Kidding of course.

Actually I feel a little better about the situation, but I am still quite anxious to hear the results from the tests on Friday.

Regardless this doesn't change a thing for me. I'm not drinking, don't really desire to, and I am waiting for the therapist to call me back with an appointment time. I also completely extracted all of the boozie type of events from my schedule for the next few weeks.

Good luck on your appointment Trey! Hope to hear a good report.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well

Today's my Dr. appt at 3:45, find out how bad my liver is...freakin out..I'll be on here a lot today
Old 04-28-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Scare

You cannot scare the disease of addiction into remission.
You have to treat the disease to get it into remission.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JediTrey View Post
Today's my Dr. appt at 3:45, find out how bad my liver is...freakin out..I'll be on here a lot today
Best of luck, JT!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Best of luck to you JediTrey, we'll be here for you!

-Jess
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good luck, Trey..we'll be thinking of you!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good luck Jedi! In my prayers