Notices

To ween off slowly or stop cold turkey?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To ween off slowly or stop cold turkey?

Hi all. I am on Day 1 of my recovery and after spending all morning perusing the forums. (Which are wonderful!) I have a question.

After looking at all the dangers of withdrawls and seeing quite a few success stories about people who gradually weened themselves off of alcohol, is it safer to ween?

I usually drink about 3-4 (large) drinks of vodka every day.. This has been going on for about a year. I am already feeling all of the normal withdrawl symptoms.. but nothing too scary.. Yet.

Would it be smart for me to perhaps switch from 3 drinks of vodka to 3 drinks of beer? Maybe that would help, atleast with the psychological issues?

Then to 2.. then to 1.. and finally 0?? I know that sounds like I am not determined to quit BUT I 100% AM! I just really want to be successful and do this the right way.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ALL.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is just from my experience so don't take it to heart:

I used to try to ween myself off of drinking so much by doing exactly what you do (going from a little less than half a gallon of vodka in one day to a fifth of vodka to 4 or 5 beers, etc). I found that I would always slip up and go back to drinking large amounts. My logic was, "I've proved I don't have to drink a lot, so I can drink more on the weekends or when I have no work." Which of course turns back into drinking all throughout the day and neglecting responsibilities.

If you're worried about quitting cold turkey you can go to a detox center...I've never been but it looks like it's a little under a week and doctor's are there to help you out.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rose

I am new to this forum but am also an alcoholic and can tell you that you're probably better off with the weaning than the CT. Stopping something suddenly is a body-shock, be it alcohol, coffee, pills, name it.
I'd use more oj and less vodka in the 3-4 drinks first then cut the 4 to a definite 3 and so on.
I stopped drinking just before my 18th birthday (I'm 46 now) and relapsed in 2003 briefly. The alcoholism was a gift from Dad's side of the family (he passed in 1979 but was 10 yrs sober). I started drinking beer when I was all of 14 yrs old with my friends and a couple of yrs went by before the drink caused problems such as severe hangovers and then the blackouts. Those fugues scared the crap outta me so I hit AA meetings and learned about alcoholism and how to see my life without it.
Enough about my woes, I wish you well.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to go half-strength for one day then zero. It sucked, but what's worse is tricking yourself into continuing to drink....the "forever wean."
Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The withdrawls are kicking in. I have not, not had vodka in over a year. Wow. Still hard to say.

There is none in the house and there is no way I am going to get any. However, I am considering having a beer, even if just for psychological reasons to get me through this first day. Does that make me a failure? I just want to succeed at this.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Although anyone here can provide personal insight as to what worked for them, when it comes to something as serious as withdrawl symptoms such as DT's and seizures it is best to talk through it with your doctor. Playing doctor can cause even more problems as you are most likely quitting because you cannot control your intake of alcohol as it is. Good luck, and I hope that you get the medical help you need to start your journey into recovery.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never had any luck weaning myself off alcohol, I might get by with it for a day or two then I was right back to where I left off. I found it easier to make a clean break rather than lie to myself that I was trying to stop by just cutting back. If you are scared of detoxing please go chat with your doctor, detoxing can be very dangerous and not something you should take lightly.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had the night sweats, tossing and turning, headache, a little pain here in there in the back neck. But I have never been able to taper off after trying for 2 years. It might last a week then I feel greeat and bam! I tell myself I can handle a little more today and then a little more tomorrow. Its a cycle ask most people on here. I did CT on 04/20 and so day 6 and feeling like a champ! I think i drank a little more also than you posted but the point is that ask your dr. I know it feels really weird to dosclose something like this but it is important. You can do this. The feeling I have right now is such a better high than a pint of vodka I would drink. Try it
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally, using beer to stop drinking vodka is just alcoholic thinking.

You should talk to your dr. It could be safe to stop drinking cold turkey, but he can tell you what is the best thing to do.