Notices

Day 1.. Hello All

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1.. Hello All

First of all, I am so glad to have found this site. I belong to a couple other support forums for other issues in my life and I have found them to be so helpful.

Well, I guess I should tell you a little about myself.. I am 27 and have been drinking for about 2+ years. Wow. that's the first time I've ever "said" that outloud.

I started as a social drinker and within the past year it has become worse. I started drinking at home at night. Then I found myself starting earlier... and earlier... and earlier... Yesterday was Easter, and I started at 10 am. I was disgusted with myself. Last night, given that it was such a Holy day, I prayed to God to give me strength to stop... And today is my first attempt. It is time.

My most difficult thing to deal with is the panic attacks. Does anyone else suffer from these? For SO long I have used alcohol to numb the anxiety. The worst is having to go into the liquor store or grocery store and having that fear of impending doom when I walk in. It feels like the walls are closing in and the shaking starts. Sometimes I feel like I just want to run out out? Does anyone experience this. I feel like a crazy person, sometimes. Racing heart, feeling like there is an elephant on your chest, feeling like you can't breathe, heart palpitations, and horrific nausea?? For example, right now it is SO bad I just want to take a drink to ease everything, but I am determined not to.. PLEASE give me any feedback you can. I would love to hear any advice anyone has to offer.

Also, I am coming up on my year anniversary with the most AMAZING man I have ever known. He is the reason I want.. no, need to get sober. I also want to share with you all that NO ONE in my life knows I drink. I have been living a lie for far too long. My parents, boyfriend, friends.. No one knows. It still blows my mind that with the amount I have been drinking for the past YEAR on a DAILY basis I can still keep it composed. (Infact when I'm NOT drinking is when I seem drunk.) Does that make any sense to anyone?? Ugh, now I'm rambeling. I'm sorry! This is just so overwhelming.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LISTENING. This seems like a great site.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rose

You are off to a good start by coming to SR.
Welcome.
Stick around awhile. We're glad you are here.
Don't give up 5 minutes short of the miracle...

Zube
Old 04-25-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

Yeah I had panic attacks as well and they were no fun at all, I'm happy to say that mine got better (it took a while for me) but now they are very rare and I can easily handle them. You might want to check with your doctor about detoxing as it can be a dangerous journey on your own.

I'm glad you found this site, good luck, you can do this!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol actually causes anxiety and panic. It's such a vicious cycle - I too drank to relieve anxiety but it got so much worse. I would wake up afraid I was going to die from drinking too much. Trying to quit was bad too - couldn't sleep and the anxiety and sense of pending doom was there every time.

But once I quit for a few days it got better. Then it got even better. Then I got therapy and it was EVEN BETTER.

Consider going to a doctor and telling the truth - withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous, and he or she might be able to provide you with some good resources for help.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Rose! I was were you are just 7 days ago. I have anxiety and when I quit drinking it got worse for about 3 days. But today I feel better! Seriously, on day 3 I thought my heart was going to explode. Like Bike said you may need to get help from your doctor, it can be very scary.

I'm very glad I found SR and I am so happy that you have too! Hang in there and keep posting, it helps!!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I am feeling OK, so far.. I'm actually excited about getting sober. I'm tired of feeling like crap.
I'm going to try and do some laundry right now and keep my mind off of anything else.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dfw

Anxiety, according to my counselor, is a problem best approached with a sober mind. Good luck and welcome to SR! Focus on recovery, see if you can find a counselor, they should be able to give you some tips on dealing with anxiety.

I too suffer from anxiety (more specficially social enxiety), you're not alone...it also makes people like us more susceptible to alcohol abuse.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Rose. Yes, I know all too well how to live life 'under water'. I 'thought' I was accomplishing everything and I was doing a great job. My family thought otherwise.
Although my husband at the time would mention how one small person could drink so much and still function -was beyond him! LOL
Glad you're here. When its time you know its time. Great start coming here.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dfw View Post
Anxiety, according to my counselor, is a problem best approached with a sober mind. Good luck and welcome to SR! Focus on recovery, see if you can find a counselor, they should be able to give you some tips on dealing with anxiety.

I too suffer from anxiety (more specficially social enxiety), you're not alone...it also makes people like us more susceptible to alcohol abuse.
Thanks! I am so new to all this, I'm not sure where to turn. Where can I find a counselor?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dfw

Originally Posted by Rose3 View Post
Thanks! I am so new to all this, I'm not sure where to turn. Where can I find a counselor?
Do you have health insurance through work? Most often you can find them through there. Or an employee assistance program can refer you to one.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dfw View Post
Do you have health insurance through work? Most often you can find them through there. Or an employee assistance program can refer you to one.
No, I do not, unfortunately. It is private and there's essentially zero help available for this issue.
I've looked into it.