Notices

Day 4...physically not feeling wonderful :(

Old 04-23-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4...physically not feeling wonderful :(

Last time I quit, I had 2 days of not feeling fantastic, but things got better pretty quickly. This time I feel really quite out of sorts. Banging headache, stiff neck, nauseous, dizzy and weak, a few heart flutters, and generally 'off'. I've been drinking plenty of fluids, although a couple cups of coffee and tea more than I usually do. Although my thinking is clear, my eyes are bright and I've had some good periods of alertness and energy. Have I underestimated the symptoms of detoxing? And, if I was previously drinking on average one regular sized bottle of white wine a day, am I a candidate for a really rough or dangerous detox (like seizures,etc?). Not sure whether I should take a trip to the doc....
Old 04-23-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SR policy not to offer medical advice other than to say it's a good idea to consult with your doctor about detoxing.

I'm happy you're here, welcome to SR and things will get better but it also can't hurt to go see your doc!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi newwings

Every detox was different for me - I found I couldn't base anything on what had gone before.

If you're concerned at all, please see a Dr....it's always better to be safe than sorry

D
Old 04-23-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, newwings

Congratulations on your 4 days! That is truly awesome...

I can't give you medical advice, but i was also a bottle of wine per day type person (more on the weekends) and I didn't need medical detox.

Stopping drinking was like a kick in the gut. I couldn't think, yet I was sad and confused deep down. I stared at the wall for the first month or so. And then I started to cry. I cried all the time.

My point is, it's ok to feel all sorts of emotions or even lack of emotion.

And it's ok to go to your doctor.

The main thing to remember is: you are doing the RIGHT thing by stopping drinking. It does get better, and the crazy feelings get better. You are doing the right thing.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yes, sorry, I've just seen the rules about medical advice, apologies! A newbie here....

I've just had a big lunch and feeling a bit better. I think maybe I should buy some decaf coffee and more herbal teas. I just realized I've had 3 coffees and two strong English teas in about 3 hours. There's quite a bit of caffeine, right there!!

I probably need a bit more sleep, too. Also a late night last night due to having to 'rescue' the teen from a party where she wasn't feeling safe. i.e, drugs and alcohol and silly goings on. She was scared and intimated by the atmosphere. I was so proud that she called me to let me know she wanted to come home. SO glad I'm sober - a few nights back I wouldn't have been able to get in the car as I would have sunk a good few drinks in by 10pm on a Friday night. Actually to be honest, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...etc etc.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This isn't medical advice but drinking lots of caffeine makes me have all the symptoms you described

Congrats on 4 days and welcome!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Haha, I'm so silly! Stuck to herbal tea, water and orange juice for the rest of the day and felt so much better....lesson learnt!! Normally I would have accredited those symptoms to a hangover, but knowing I'm clean and sober, I was forgetting that hefty doses of caffeine don't do a world of good for me either. What a noob.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think every ones detox is different but I know one after going through mine....go see a Dr if you at all concerned, they can and will help. Great job on 4 days, keep up the good work, you CAN do this.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you are feeling better today newwings... detoxing can have annoying symptoms and you are right caffeine will not help. Lots of water and herbal tea, hot baths, and rest helped me immensely.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did find that each detox I went through was worse than the last.

But, remember that you don't have to go through this again.

Good for you on Day 4!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gettiing through day four is challenging experience, but this experience shall pass.