Notices

This disease sucks!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry This disease sucks!

I'm at work about to leave and my mind drifted off thinking maybe I can just get a 1/2 pint of vodka instead of the pint I normally do! Good grief! Wow i cna't believe it works this way. When i have absolutley put my foot, mind, heart down to say this is it! it creeps up on you all within 8 seconds! Nope going to the grocery store to make a nice diner for the family and watch a movie. whew! that was close
Old 04-22-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

these thoughts pop into my head randomly too...sometimes the trigger is even a post i read here...a tv commercial, a sentance in one of my nook books...or watching a rerun of law and order where marlo thomas is a judge and offers a martini to casey.....i think i ate 4 olives after watching that.

while you are at the grocery, get some good quality ice cream....one of my best defenses for late evening cravings.

keep your focus and it will get easier...you raelly have to change your mindset.,,I had to change my whole evening routine, stores where I shop, etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thoughts are thoughts hoping - it's what we do with them that counts

D
Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thoughts are thoughts hoping - it's what we do with them that counts

D
Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I miss the grocery stores back in Alaska-no alcohol in the actual grocery store.

My husband keeps his alcohol in the garage, I know where it is. He keeps his medicine in the safe (I know the combo) but I also know where that road leads.

Being able to think things through is one of the first signs that something is working in your recovery. Nurture that.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think your family may appreciate a nice dinner and a fun movie rather than...well, you know the alternative...
Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yea! I'm even getting the family involved when i cook now because in the past ive been the perfectionist (have to cut the veggies right or do things a certain way) so i have been the only one cooking for years. Time to let that go and everybody can join in and make it fun. Just can't be anal about it anymore! I think many changes are in store! one being i can't be so serious all the time and I can't control what I can't control but i can control me!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! Heading home where i belong! have a great weekend, i work tomorrow so i will be on a few times
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I was a super control-freak too. Gosh, that what was one of the factors that led me to drinking, because I was trying to control my family, my job, everything. Recovery meant letting go and it meant a lot of changes. And, life is so much better.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know this might sound stupid to some in this forum, but I am happy I found out I am an alcoholic. If I didn't I would have never quit drinking, and would have never realized how good life can be and how happy I can be without alcohol. Also the realization of my alcoholism has made me search out information to improve myself on many levels, and this personal growth would never had occurred if I didn't have to solve my problem with alcohol.

I think it is easy to say "this sucks", but by accepting that I can no longer drink and learning to keep myself happy without alcohol hasn't really sucked at all, it has led to a very positive change in me.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dont get me wrong I'm an easy going guy and fun but just always making sure things are done right and even that i have let down some because we now have cats ( which i thought never) the hair everywhere! lol messy counters in the kitchen after cooking (that was another excuse to stay up late so I could clean them and sneak a few more guzzles of wine or vodka) now i will let it go til morning. whew this feels good all the things that i'm thinking to change!!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

supercrew.. that is a good point of view but I guess since i'm so new i'm just angry and venting... but im sure in the coming months i can look back and view it the same way.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Temptation can come when you least expect it. Be glad that you made it to the grocery store instead. Remember, it's one day at a time. Enjoy your night with your family.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hoping2quit

I get upset sometimes when I want to hit the gym but can't because of the time. I get urges with a lot of stuff. It's just part of life and everyone has it. Just because you crave alcohol does not mean your abnormal or different. It's part of the human mind and you and everyone else. We all have to deal with it.