Notices

Amazing things. :)

Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amazing things. :)

Although I'm a tad grumpy, I'm noticing the most amazing things since I quit drinking.

I actually sat through, enjoyed and had the attention span for watching movies last night. I can't even begin to describe how many times I haven't cared what I was doing or watching as long as I was quietly drunk doing it. There are so many things in the world that I haven't done or experienced because I was too out of it to care. It's so sad to think I was such a problem drinker that I couldn't even watch movies. (By the way, "The baby's room"... so good... so scary!)

I'm learning boredom. Boredom is amazing. I never realized how much time there is in a day. I'm going to go to a meeting with my friend Bill then I'll probably spend the next couple of hours in the book store. It's nice to plan things and make decisions that don't involve... well, I'll get some wine and then....

I've lost 5 pounds in a week, and I've lost the bloated look to my face. I'm starting to look like myself again. Yay!

I'm actually looking forward to telling people I'm sober. I will laugh about it. "Well, I don't know if you guys noticed... but I have kind of a drinking problem." It will be surreal. No more feeling bad for the person who has the bad luck of talking to me when I have that one that knocks me over the edge. I'm sure I will have to re meet people. You don't know how many people I've met who've told me they met me at the something show, and I have to pretend I remember them when I actually have no idea who they are.

Good morning everyone! It's going to be a great day.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post...thanks for sharing
Old 04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Thanks for taking the time, Strawberry.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

It's amazing how much is time is spent on drinking. I used to wonder what I'd do if I sobered up...turns out there's not enough hours in the day to do everything I want!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know what you mean. I didn't retain anything when drinking. I'd rent a movie and watch it. The next morning, would see it back in the box and try so hard to remember anything about it! Yet I had sat there for 2 hrs. staring at it? Scary.

Also, reading - I always loved it, but would read a chapter & not remember a word. Can't tell you how many times I'd wake up because the book had fallen on my face - a wonder I didn't get a broken nose.

I don't ever want to go back to those bad old days. Glad you are feeling encouraged by your new awareness!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excellent. Did you end up going to the show? It gets better every day... if you can get rid of the shame it's sooo much better. Sounds like you are on your way. I kind of felt like I wanted to shout it from the rooftops for a minute there... now I'm back down on earth again but feeling great. Keep it up! I know what you mean about missing things, too. Thought I saw movies/read books but retained only the verrrrry basic things about them.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing so well!
Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

keep it going strawberryashes

D
Old 04-22-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post, strawberry! I was amazed too at the little things I began to appreciate when sober..... and the good feelings it brought. Just walking to the mailbox and feeling a breeze in the air - stuff like that. I really had no clue I was so disconnected.

I'm so glad you're starting to feel and look like the real you again!