Notices

Day 2....and off to a BBQ

Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2....and off to a BBQ

I did day 1!!! Me and my husband cooked dinner together, but he struggled with my emotions. I understand that he thinks it's a case of "just stopping", but I have tried to explain things to him. At the same time as explaining to him I am admitting things to myself that I don't like to, that hurt, that make me not like the person I have become.
Today has been a bit better. I have completed an assignment on a course I took up to try to distract me from drinking a couple of months ago....it will eventually lead to me earning money from home and working for myself. I am hoping to focus more on that as time goes on. But little steps.
I am quite low today emotionally though, not because I haven't drunk or miss it, but because I am facing up to who I was, the mistakes I made, the people I hurt. I also fear the change in my life as much as I acknowledge it has to happen - my group of friends is very sociable and I know I will miss that side of my life when it took me so long, so very very long, to find a good group of friends I could be myself with. Or perhaps I wasn't myself.....things get blurred sometimes I suppose.
Off to a BBQ now, but feeling positive. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know you want to socalize, but you might have a very hard time wth this event.

i hope your reasons and resolve are front and center....like someone said to me, it's a slippery slope.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't feel comfortable socializing when I first got sober. It was to stressful for me. It took me a good month to feel strong enough to resist temptation. I would have a back-up plan in place just in case. I wanted to set myself up for success not failure. My mind would try and convince me that one drink was okay and of course it wasn't. I played the tape through to the end and the fun wasn't worth the agony I would face the next morning.

Putting down the alcohol was the first step, getting in touch with the reasons I drank and changing my lifestyle were the second. For me the second step was much harder.

I wish you the best! Congratulations on taking the first step!

:ghug3