Notices

You don’t pick up where you left off....

Old 04-22-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You don’t pick up where you left off....

"They really mean it when they say you don’t pick up where you left off, but pick up where you would be if you never quit."

I understand what this implies... but does anyone know why? And can anyone share their experience with this?

Last edited by Dee74; 04-22-2011 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Tried to delete and redo... heading too long.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I adjusted your title best I could

I never stopped drinking long enough to offer any real experience with this ARB...my longest 'record' before 2007 was 2 months.

I know others will have experience to share and maybe some science too

D
Old 04-22-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ARB,

I don't know why this is true but it was in my case. I drank after eleven years of sobriety. The first binge I drank slightly less than when I left off. After that, it was business as usual drinking for me but I was feeling worse for it. Not just mentally with the guilt and shame but also physically.

Love,

Lenina
Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not really sure for similar reasons to Dee...however, I do know that it is when I De used I should probably quit and started trying that alcohol sunk its teeth into me with a vengeance.

Prior to this I was a heavy drinker...once I started quitting I became a problem drinker....drinking until I vomited, blacking out, falling down, walking into walls, drinking in the morning.

Its as though the thought of quitting had turned a slow growing tumor into a voracious monster almost overnight.

I know if for some insane reason I picked up a drink today id probably be dead inside a year.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it is exhausting trying to drink like a normie....for me, there is not enough wine in the world....

it is easier (now anyway) to just be done with it....what am i missing? health problems, a bloated face and a daily headache and barfing?
Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ARB View Post
"They really mean it when they say you don’t pick up where you left off, but pick up where you would be if you never quit."

I understand what this implies... but does anyone know why? And can anyone share their experience with this?
I am too sleep-deprived at the moment to synthesize a proper response to this from various sources, but it has to do with the phenomenons known as "kindling" and "priming" - which are caused by repeated withdrawal experiences.

I may come back to this and explain further, but for now, this should provide some information:

Kindling in Alcohol Withdrawal

Basically, each "quit" sensitizes the body to Alcohol's effects more so than continued drinking without quitting would have, and multiple "quits" make things progressively worse.

See LaFemme's response for a good description of how this usually plays out.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

repeated episodes of . . . alcohol intoxication followed by abstinence and withdrawal may lead to a worsening of future withdrawal-related symptoms.

I didn't participate in this research, but in my one-person, case study, I can confirm that this is true.

Thanks for the interesting post.

Zebra
Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by ARB View Post
Because ALCOHOLISM isn't just a "drinking problem" even though many ppl think it is. For the acute alcoholic / heavy drinker / alcohol abuser, it IS a drinking problem - A substance abuse problem.

For the real alcoholic though (the chronic alcoholic - who's different from the acute acoholic), their drinking is just a symptom of a much bigger and deeper problem - alcoholism. Alcoholism is NOT treated by staying dry. So, over any appreciable amount of time....one's alcoholism gets worse, not better. When the person with alcoholism picks up the drink again, after a short period of physical adjustment, they're setting new personal records for consumption and self-destruction because while they were dry their alcoholISM was getting worse. Picking up just plugs in that outward manifestation of alcoholISM again - and since drinking is just the outward manifestation of an internal problem (that internal problem being alcoholism - for the chronic alkie), in no time their drinking ramps up to match the higher level of alcoholISM that they have.

........and no, not everyone with a drinking problem is a chronic alcoholic and not everyone who calls themselves an alcoholic is an alcoholic.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So how might one determine which type (if any) they are?

I find this very interesting. I have noticed over time that less and less alcohol makes me sicker and sicker. On the other hand, when I was drinking, I did not feel the effects of a given amount of alcohol more.

This is a hard row to hoe and I'm working on it every day. I don't like to say alcoholic, so I say problem drinker, but I'm not sure I had made a distinction between the two. For the record, though, I don't mind saying Alkie.

BTW, thanks to SR for giving me a place to say it. And I'm saying it to my husband now, and I've done a few things with my adult children during which my not-drinking was apparent. Just a matter of time before someone asks....
Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Missy...my humble advice is to say to heck with defining yourself as an alcoholic or problem drinker or whatever...realize that life is better without alcohol and don't worry about words to define you.

Also remember alcoholism is progressive so even if you aren't one technically yet you can still graduate to that title
Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
....what am i missing? health problems, a bloated face and a daily headache and barfing?
Boy, the bloated face comment hit home.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Because ALCOHOLISM isn't just a "drinking problem" even though many ppl think it is. For the acute alcoholic / heavy drinker / alcohol abuser, it IS a drinking problem - A substance abuse problem.

For the real alcoholic though (the chronic alcoholic - who's different from the acute acoholic), their drinking is just a symptom of a much bigger and deeper problem - alcoholism. Alcoholism is NOT treated by staying dry. So, over any appreciable amount of time....one's alcoholism gets worse, not better. When the person with alcoholism picks up the drink again, after a short period of physical adjustment, they're setting new personal records for consumption and self-destruction because while they were dry their alcoholISM was getting worse. Picking up just plugs in that outward manifestation of alcoholISM again - and since drinking is just the outward manifestation of an internal problem (that internal problem being alcoholism - for the chronic alkie), in no time their drinking ramps up to match the higher level of alcoholISM that they have.

........and no, not everyone with a drinking problem is a chronic alcoholic and not everyone who calls themselves an alcoholic is an alcoholic.
DayTrader: I quoted your entire post because I found it keenly interesting. Acute vs Chronic and the progression of a DISEASE.... interesting. I want to ask you to expound, but I guess I can Google it, too. Thanks for this.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So how might one determine which type (if any) they are?
I agree with LaFemme. I don't spend any time dwelling on labels, definitions, and dividing lines. Alcoholic, alcohol abuser—whatever. The way alcohol affects me and the people around me—that's all that matters to me. The rest is just noise.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

When I quit I was drinking daily and throwing up daily, but throwing up food or something that looked like food. The second night I went back to drinking I was on the floor culvulsing throwing up black stuff. My drinking progressed even though I wasn't drinking.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As with any chronic disease there are three periods to consider.
1. signs and symptoms of the active disease. (progression of the actual disease)

2. signs and symptoms of recovery from the disease. (remission of the disease, the active disease has stopped progressing actively)

3. signs and symptoms of relapse from the disease. (the disease begins to passively progress (imminent and impending eventual actualization of the active disease process if the relapse is not intervened upon correctly))

Note: The most often sign and symptom that happend just before the person resumes alcohol consumption is expressed as: ideations of going insane + suicidal ideations + ideations of drinking.

If relapse is not stopped before the person begins drinking again then #4. will happen. (the person will drink a drink)
4. signs and symptoms of the active disease (active progression of the disease).
#4. is the same as #1
The relapse signs and symptoms are commonly called a "dry drunk".

During the dry drunk period, the disease is passively progressing, like a smouldering fire that was not completely put out. The dry drunk can last for days, weeks and yes even years. As soon as the beverage alcohol is consumed onto the smouldering inactive fire, it bursts into active consuming flames, and requires the equal amount of fuel consumed as if it had never been out but had been burning during the period of recovery + period of relapse.

This is shared from my experience and understanding of the disease of addiction which I graciously contracted at age 12, fed the disease till I was 20, and treated the disease since then.

Last edited by Francismcan; 04-22-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: to add note and correct grammar
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I relapsed after 11 years clean and sober.

I was drinking mouthwash and hiding bottles within a couple weeks. When I was discovered, I started driving around urban areas looking for drugs. All of these were new behaviors, new advancements in my disease.

Why is this? Because abstinence does not treat alcoholism-- it merely arrests the outward facing symptom and the nastier consequences. But the internal chaos and spiritual malady remain and evolve. So when the boil on the skin (drinking) emerges again, it's fueled by a stronger underlying condition.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've gone back to drinking worse off than I was so many times that I'm literally scared to even contemplate the thought of the consenquences of the dam breaking even with one drop. I'm lucky by only losing my job to alcohol not my life or my spirit from taking a life.
It is a dangerous line we cross when we continue without taking a good look inside to rectify any reasoning. I stopped for good this time, but yeah, I'm still an alcoholic...but this time I took the time to figure out why.

I think there are alot of shady areas in this disease. I wish they could just create a pill and it was cured.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I remember the last time I relapsed. I had 20 days in. Decided to have "a" beer. I then ended up drinking a bottle of wine (I don't even like wine) because it was the only thing in the house when I got home.

Not sure why this is and it's not even important. What's important IMO is that it is real. There is no going back for me.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Every relapse for me has been a little bit worse than the one before it, with the exception of the latest relapse... and only because I... hell I don't know what happened, but I just realized in the middle of drinking that I may as well be downing cyanide and just stopped.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Programmer27 View Post
Every relapse for me has been a little bit worse than the one before it, with the exception of the latest relapse... and only because I... hell I don't know what happened, but I just realized in the middle of drinking that I may as well be downing cyanide and just stopped.
Exactly what happened to me. I don't know what happened, but I realized with absolutely clarity that nothing was going to change, that I was unable to do anything different. I couldn't trot out the same old promises-- they just weren't there anymore. I was empty. It was as if I was given a moment of total sanity in the midst of years of insanity-- like I detached and watched what I was doing. And then I realized-- I can't stop. There is no amount of willpower in this body and mind that is going to keep me sober. I will keep returning to it until I die.

It was my first step.