Notices

Im new - just looking for advice on whats next

Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im new - just looking for advice on whats next

Hi My name Is Brittany and today, My long time boyfriend Jon of 8 years, checked into inpatient rehab for 90 days from a NA from the past 4 years! im very proud of him for making the decision, but with my help, but overly he made the decision to go! we tried so hard for the past month to do "it" at home but i dont think it helped any, maybe lowerd hes amount but he was so so sick! i hated for him to hit rock bottom but it was, what i thought, needed to be done, he needed help and i couldnt give him that help he desperately needed! im still trying to get all my emotions together on what is to except for the next 3 or so months ahead,..i have tried to read about, when i talk to him on the phone, how to act and what happens when they come home from rehab, and what i thought and what i read was totally different then what i had in mind! we have a 4 year old little girl, who has a terminal illness, im trying to be there for both of them,plus me and im just having a hard time dealing with two totally different emotions at the same time,...i, myself have never used or anything, so with saying that, yes i have been around it, but has never used it,..so yeah i dont know what he is going through, i just know what the addiction has done to him, changed him, completely into monster,..i just hope this rehab works for him, i want my old guy back,..like i said what i read and what i had in mind was different-i thought as soon when he gets done, he would be "ok"-i didnt think about regrouping to get in the world again,..so any advice on everything i guess on how to help him go through this, showing him im here, and im not going anywhere, whats to except when he is there,..this will be the longest time we have spent away from each other in our whole relationship,....i have gone this far with him, i not planning on giving up yet,...i have poeple tell me, to just be "done" with it, i will find someone better,..but i cant see myself being with anyone but him, i dont want to find better because i got him! Please Advice is a must for me!! thanks thanks thanks!!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Brittany

I took the liberty of moving your other thread on this to our Family and Friends forum - I think you'll find a lot of experience and support there as well

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pens-next.html

I hope everything works out for you and your bf
D
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Brittany - I'm so glad your bf is getting the help he needs. I sure that is at least some comfort for you.

What to expect? It's hard to say because everyone's recovery is different. Some people really "get it" and feel liberated right away while it can take more time for others. As a general rule, I think most experts say that it can take up to a year for full recovery.

He'll have to make being clean/sober the #1 priority in his life and it will take some work on his part. So you should expect him to spend time at meetings and/or follow-up treatment..... which may interfere with some of your "together time." Reentering normal society will feel strange at first.

It will be an adjustment for you, too. The best thing you can do is be supportive, but also to think about your own recovery, too. Addiction tends to create it's own disaster zone of emotions, fears and reactions in friends/family as well as the addict. Chances are you've gotten wrapped up in his sickness and need to get some healthy detachment from it.

There are a couple other sections on this forum you might want to check out:
one on Substance Abuse (I assume he's an addict since you mentioned NA), and Family/Friends of Substance Abusers.

All the best to you and glad you're reaching out for some support!:ghug3