Notices

What is the deal with the mention of god in the steps?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
utopist

What is the deal with the mention of god in the steps?

Why do i have to convert in religion to enjoy help?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its not religion, its finding your higher power. Being spiritual is polar opposite of being religious. Don't let it scare you.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kantaki

We're not an exclusive AA site so I'll leave it to the AA members here to reply to you.

There are many recovery methods that do not use the 12 steps...like SMART, LifeRing etc.

Perhaps our Secular Connections forum will interest you

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 04-20-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

As Dee said, the AA members can probably explain to you that AA is not religious.

For me, I did have to reconnect spiritually in order to begin to recover.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
utopist

What does it mean to be spritual? And How does it help me? Thank for the reply!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
utopist

"reconnect spiritually"? How?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kantaki,
Alcoholics Anonymous is not a "religion" or a "religious program". It is a spiritual program. There is a difference. You do not need to convert to any religion. AA is for people of all faiths and beliefs and for people who are agnostic and athiest too.

The steps of AA invite the individual to choose his/her own conception of a Higher Power --some substitute the word "Good" for "God", some use the acronym "Good Orderly Direction", some use the AA group itself as their Higher Power, some use a more traditional concept, some use "Life Force or Energy" ... there are many other concepts.

There are many folks on the SR board who do not use AA in their recovery. SMART, Life Ring, AVRT, CBT, an addictions counselor, life coach, etc. are all options. AA certainly does not have a monopoly on recovery. You are free to find your own path as you wish.
Susan
Old 04-20-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I think it varies from person to person, but for me, I needed to know that there was a reason for me to be here on earth, at this time. I had to know that there was a purpose. I think of spirituality in terms of the Universe. I believe that the Universe has a plan for all of us. When we find our purpose, we can find peace and enjoyment in our lives, even though things may be far from perfect.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
utopist

Can you provide me with links in your forum? I'am from germany and not really accustomed to post in foreign forums.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are you sober?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wikipedia: "Spirituality can refer to an ultimate or immaterial reality;[1] an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of their being; or the “deepest values and meanings by which people live.”[2] Spiritual practices, including meditation, prayer and contemplation, are intended to develop an individual's inner life; such practices often lead to an experience of connectedness with a larger reality, yielding a more comprehensive self; with other individuals or the human community; with nature or the cosmos; or with the divine realm.[3] Spirituality is often experienced as a source of inspiration or orientation in life.[4] It can encompass belief in immaterial realities or experiences of the immanent or transcendent nature of the world."

Wikipedia: "Religion" is a cultural system that creates powerful and long-lasting meaning by establishing symbols that relate humanity to beliefs and values.[1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, traditions and sacred histories that are intended to give meaning to life or to explain the origin of life or the universe. They tend to derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle from their ideas about the cosmos and human nature.

The word religion is sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system, but religion differs from private belief in that it has a public aspect. Most religions have organized behaviors, including clerical hierarchies, a definition of what constitutes adherence or membership, congregations of laity, regular meetings or services for the purposes of veneration of a deity or for prayer, holy places (either natural or architectural), and/or scriptures. The practice of a religion may also include sermons, commemoration of the activities of a god or gods, sacrifices, festivals, feasts, trance, initiations, funerary services, matrimonial services, meditation, music, art, dance, public service, or other aspects of human culture.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's some links to some of the major recovery players -
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

there's also some links in the Secular Connections forum I linked to before - look at the top of the forum.

I'm sure all these organisations operate in Germany.

If spirituality is an alien concept to you, make it simple...

stop drinking - see your doctor to make sure you do that safely - then look for the kind of support that will help you stay stopped

D
Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
utopist

My drinking story goes along this lines: Never was exceptionally social, met a perfect mate, could not hold onto her, lost her and felt into drunkenness since then. That was 8 years ago!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR.....

Havve you attended an AA meeting?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
utopist

No, i don't. I'am merely at the confession-stages of alcoholism. ... while finishing my second bottle of 13% wine.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
utopist

and the time is 3:11AM local (is that correct?).
Old 04-20-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
utopist

I need some kind of anchor to stop!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
utopist

I'm not sure what AA translates to... Anti-Alcoholics?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholics Anonymous.

D
Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
utopist

Yes, i don't know what i was thinking. So, the religious part of the "steps" is optional?