Notices

Stuck In Old Behaviours

Old 04-20-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Stuck In Old Behaviours

Hi there,
New to the site but am finding it to be a very comfortable place for thoughts and feelings so far. I am a 21 yr old female trying to find peace in sobriety. I finished a 30 day treatment program at the end of February and have been trying to hold onto the strength that I felt when first coming home. I have had one slip up at 58 days of clean time but have managed to get right back on the wagon.. so far. I find my mind at times trying hard to convince me that I do not have a problem anymore and that possibly I never really had one to begin with. I know however that this is the addict talking and have been good so far at kicking those thoughts. It has been very difficult for me to find any friends as most people my age are out there doing the things that make me unhealthy and the ones i had I have had to leave behind. I feel that I am becoming isolated and have been quite upset because the people places and things that i need to avoid seem to be everywhere. I am in a same sex relationship wich for the most part is supportive but at times it doesnt seem like my partner can understand exactly how im feeling. I know that meetings meetings meetings are very important but i find that since ive been home they have slowly become less and less. In treatment I learned alot about myself and I feel i grew more into who I am rather then the sad image that I had come to build of myself. I made a vow to myself that when I got home I would keep myself on the front burner and begin to take care of me. Sadly, I havent done that yet. Ive been as unmotivated and as insecure as I was when I was still drowning my emotions. I suffer from severe anxiety issues and have always shyd away from meeting new people or public situations which is making it hard to move forward in my life in way of new people or new activities.
I sometimes think that I know what I have to do as I can point out the things that I am not doing right or have not followed through with but It just seems as if Im still in the bad spot just without the drink.
Im not too sure how these things work but I am glad to have a place to get these thoughts out if only for my own peace of mind.

Thanks, K
Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - glad you found us!

Isn't it crazy how we can go to treatment, come out and then wonder if we didn't have a problem?! It's a cunning disease.

You'll find a lot of support here, so keep reading and posting. There's no way our lives are going to be problem free, but getting all the support we need sure does make it easier.:ghug3
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR nextsteps
You'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. THis place is so supportive and informative. You've come to a good place.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Nextsteps...Welcome. You have your whole new life in front of you. It helps me to remember the really bad outcomes of my drinking. And also..my favorite part of giving up drinking. Waking up with a clear mind. I wish you well..glad you joined us.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome nextsteps. Glad you're here.
As a parent (youngest 18) and a recovering alocholic it is refreshing to see that you want to take charge of your life. Good for you.