Notices

Cancer and Alcoholism?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Cancer and Alcoholism?

I have been thinking about starting this thread for a while now and finally decided to do so today. I was wondering if anyone out there has been through cancer in addition to being an alcoholic.

Myself, I went through 6 months of chemotherapy (ABVD) for Stage 4 Hodgkin's Lymphoma last January through the end of June at age 25. I had already known that I had something wrong with my drinking before hand but was still not ready to fully admit I was an alcoholic until recently. To be honest I thought that once I was in remission that maybe the alcoholism was gone as well (yes I realize that sounds crazy but I'm sure some people can relate). Well, it just got worse than it had been really quickly one i finished chemo and decided to quit in September, but had a short lapse in (one day) on February 7th and haven't touched anything since.

I really am putting this out there, because when I was diagnosed with cancer I really just said wow this sucks, but it is what it is, and then went and got the help I needed and am now in remission with check-ups every 3 months. There was no questioning or feeling embarassed, it is a disease and I got it and then took the steps necessary to fight it......Now with my alcoholism I feel slightly embarassed and like I could have prevented it if I didn't drink so much in college, hung out with different people and other thoughts of that nature. Its just a mind game, but to deal with both in a year was pretty crazy and I was curious if anyone can relate. I have had some trouble, but I now realize that Alcoholism has a prescription (necessary steps to fight it) and have been utilizing it, it is just that the necessary steps are a lot of work and not just a shot here or a pill there. I do believe that because of these necessary actions we become amazing individuals. Anyway, take care everyone!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can relate to what you're talking about, though not with cancer, thankfully.

I found out I had fibromyalgia and that is something for which there is no pill or shot that can fix it. It is basically learning to listen to your body and to respond to its complaints. I learned that it is a disease my family couldn't see, and so they doubted it existed. It is a disease that is unpredictable and that made it very challenging. Finally getting the fibro diagnosis was the last thing I needed in place to help me deal with alcoholism.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fortunately, my only sickness has ever been being an alcoholic.
It was not preventable -unless I quit drinking at 16 but then I wouldn't be 'cool'.
It is progressive, and I fell right into the black hole -hook, line and sinker.
I guess it would be hard to live with both problems and you'd feel very unmanaged. I would s'pose the tools you learn to live a sober life could also apply to other struggles in our lives, as well.
Glad you (both) are here to share your experiences.

Welcome to you volcom.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Volcom,

I can relate. I was diagonsed with breast cancer in August 2008, had miscectomy, in Feb. of 2009 I found out I had colon cancer. Had to wear colostomy bag throughout my 9 months of chemo.

I was really depressed and drank a lot to the point I couldn't stop. On top of dealing with all these issues, I had problems within my family with kids. They added no comfort or support, only made things worse for me, therefore, I drank more. I use to stop at the gas station after my 8 hour chemo and bought wine. I just couldn't stand being sober. I hated my life.

After my colon got reattached, I figured I should move on and stop drinking but I couldn't. I went into rehab.

It was the best week I had in years.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I deal with back pain every day, but the real challenging issues have been mental/emotional (depression, OCD, ADD). I used alcohol to cope and was most likely genetically predisposed to it as well. Because the psychological stuff can't be looked at or measured and it's not just the body, it's hard to look at it objectively.

I don't know anyone who decided they wanted to be an alcoholic or an addict. The shame thing can sometimes help us get into recovery, but it can also keep us from getting help, too.......

Don't know what point I'm making here (!)..... I am glad, though, that there's a lot more awareness these days and people can get help much sooner.

So sorry you had to go through cancer so young.... but glad you're sober and getting healthy!!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can almost relate because my mother had breast cancer twice and then after years of remission she had cancer in her liver along with Cirrhosis due to many years of heavy drinking. They went in to do surgery and took one look at her liver and could not do anything for her. In my mind, alcoholism took her from me. Had she not drank so much maybe they could have saved her. She was only 67 years old. This is one of my biggest reasons for being here and staying sober for her. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses, they are much appreciated.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You never know. My mother never drank and was diagnosed with cancer at age 45. She was diagnosed again in her 60s and succumbed to it that time. Meanwhile, my dad drinks like a fish and still does and he is as healthy as a horse at age 84. My bestfriend's dad died of brain cancer in his 60s and was a light drinker. Her mother is a raging alcoholic (gin all day every day once retired) and always has had excellent health.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really wasn't asking if the two were related, I was seeing if anyone could relate when diagnosed with a disease such as cancer and then also diagnosed with the disease of alcoholism. Although they are both dieases it is a whole different experience for each of them.