Notices

Ready for a good story? :-(

Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready for a good story? :-(

So, like, 2 hours ago I took my "secret" key to the car, to go see my family doctor. (My wife took my main set of keys last month, because she was mad I was drinking on the weekend. She also took my cell phone, and debit/credit cards.)

So, my car runs out of gas 1/2 way to the doctor's office, because I had no debit/credit card so had not filled the tank, I thought I had enough gas left for the short trip to the dentist.

Comedy of errors. :-<

So, I called a tow truck, who took me home...$65. I went in to the house and asked my daughter for $65 to pay the truck driver. She said no. She also grabbed from "secret" key to the car, so now I have no extra car key.

So now I'm waiting for my wife to come home, so we can call the tow truck driver to our house to pay him.

Who needs prison, when your wife takes your wallet/debit/credit cards, cell phone, and keys? Pardon the sarcasm.

In the immortal words of Captain Spock on Star Trek: "Beam me up, Scotty."....cause Kelly is sick of this life.

Comments, my friends?

Kelly
Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So the moral of the story is, don't drink and don't try to deceive your wife?? Do I win something??
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I remember correctly, aren't you going to rehab tomorrow? If so, hopefully that will be the beginning of a new life for you, Kelly. Wishing the best for you. Please keep us posted.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Of course, I don't know the full details of your situation.

Perhaps she has good reason not to trust you but I also don't think treating you like a little kid is the right way to support your recovery efforts. That would make me more pissed off and rebellious than wanting to mentally invest in getting and staying clean.

If she wants you to change your behavior she's got to give you the opportunity to show that you can do it on your own, like an adult.

But again, I don't know what exactly has happened in your past.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes we need to be treated like little kids, but it doesn't help. I am reminded of the time that I was on a short bender and found myself drunk at home and my wife knew I was drunk and she knew I was out of booze. She took my keys and my wallet with her when she ran errands so I would shut it down for the night.

I proceeded to walk 2 miles in the rain to my liquor store, set up a tab with the store owner who I knew but had to have the cashier call him at home to approve, and carried a 12 pack and a bottle of vodka back 2 miles to my house in the rain.

If I wanted to drink little things like no wallet and no keys weren't going to stand in my way. But in hindsite at least I didn't drive.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Kelly-

I had many of my "freedoms" taken from me b/c of my drinking, but looking back, I gave them away.

They weren't taken from me. I traded them in b/c they were obviously worth the risk. ...but then the consequences came and I wanted to change my mind, but it was too late.

Now that I'm sober (by working the steps of AA) and I'm earning my "freedoms" back, my whole entire outlook on life has changed.

One of the first changes I noticed is my acceptance of my role in my own alcoholism and how that affected everyone around me.

Kjell~
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I doubt your wife or daughter would care which key it was or who's car if you hurt or killed yourself or others by drinking and driving. They are probably trying to protect you because they love you. Time to ask if you want to become a different person and earn that trust back.

I hope rehab and whatever recovery program you choose helps you find a new and wonderful way of life. We are so centered on what others are doing to us, in reality it is us doing to ourselves.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To be on your side here...my husband (at the time of my fury) decided, with my best interest in mind, that he would start driving me to go food shopping since I wasn't to be trusted going into the city and coming out sober.
Well, that worked for alittle while. But by hindering us ei. driving us, taking keys, hiding booze, taking credit cards 'they' aren't helping the problem only altering it for a time.
Getting or buying the booze isn't the problem, its the underlying problem of why we are drinking that has to be solved -by us and only us. Not taking keys, etc.
My family was forever hiding my keys. That wasn't doing anything but pissing me off and I'd drink more.

But, OTOH, you should be glad they care and don't want you driving. It is the small blessings we have to stop to think about. But that would really frost my doolillies if my debit card was taken!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Well that's just a depressing story for all involved. I'm an alcoholic but I grew up with one, too so I guess I've been on both sides. Nobody is in control.

When is rehab?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post
So, like, 2 hours ago I took my "secret" key to the car, to go see my family doctor. (My wife took my main set of keys last month, because she was mad I was drinking on the weekend. She also took my cell phone, and debit/credit cards.)

So, my car runs out of gas 1/2 way to the doctor's office, because I had no debit/credit card so had not filled the tank, I thought I had enough gas left for the short trip to the dentist.

Comedy of errors. :-<

So, I called a tow truck, who took me home...$65. I went in to the house and asked my daughter for $65 to pay the truck driver. She said no. She also grabbed from "secret" key to the car, so now I have no extra car key.

So now I'm waiting for my wife to come home, so we can call the tow truck driver to our house to pay him.

Who needs prison, when your wife takes your wallet/debit/credit cards, cell phone, and keys? Pardon the sarcasm.

In the immortal words of Captain Spock on Star Trek: "Beam me up, Scotty."....cause Kelly is sick of this life.

Comments, my friends?

Kelly

Sorry Kelly, when i read your post I had a good :rotfxko (more about the prison thing) anyway, some trust issues going here no doubt.

Kelly, I remember my neice & nephew ringing me one late night, The story goes like this -
My sister was trying to drive her car drunk, my nephew was inside the car locking the doors everytime my sister opened the door from the outside. Im on the phone (hearing all the screaming going on) here are a 14 & 16yr old trying to stop their mother from driving this car. I drive down there, fight her for the keys, take out the battery and try to calm the kids down.

Now, think about why they are taking those keys..... Maybe work on this Kelly??
JJ
Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

frost my doolillies
I have never heard it called that before in my life!!! Learn something new every day..

Kelly..You sound like you are a really determined person! I too can relate. I walked to the liquor store because we had a terrible snowstorm and at the time I didn't drive a Jeep..I had an Alero and was grounded-snow was so deep it was high centered and stuck..Anyway I walked back home with a 12 pack of beer and a jug of wine. The snow was deep..so when I fell (I was staggering) it just hurled me forwards but only the top portion of my body..my legs up past my shins were in the deep snow. Any time after that if there was a hint of snow I kept stocked up. My point being is I hope you use that determination on your sobriety. And if you are headed to rehab I wish you the best! Hope it is a good experience.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used to take the distributor cap off of my father's car on a regular basis. I knew how to do that by the time I was 13. He was a truck driver and once took off in his diesel to try to get alcohol--took out all the fences on our rural street.

I can remember many screaming tussles for keys. But we couldn't stop him. He died of alcohol poisoning.