Notices

Hola from Long Island, NY

Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hola from Long Island, NY

Just want to introduce myself, my name is Kevin and I am an addict. I have been an opiate abuser/chaser for 10+ years, had a run with alcohol too but found opiates to be my drug of choice. I am 22 days sober from a 8 month binge on painkillers oxycodone/hydrocodone/oxycontin/ anything that would bind to my opiate receptors

This is my 5-6 attempt at total sobriety over the years and every addict has to hit a rock bottom in order to finally see the light and I have hit mine. Almost was thrown out of my home and had my 7 month old daughter taken away from me, that's all I needed to hear, not to mention I could never go through another opiate withdrawal, they are leaving too many emotional scars and they're just too Hellish!

I have been going to counseling and hitting a few meetings here and there but I am my daughters main caregiver so it's hard to hit local meetings, I figure the least I can do is come online and share.

Anyway, I'll be lurking and chiming in here and there to give support to all who are in need. If anybody needs to chat don't hesitiate to PM or email me, or reply in this thread. I know the Hell that is Opiate addiction, as many others here do as well.

(((((((((POSITIVE VIBRATIONS TO ALL))))))))))))))) One Day at a time!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Kev! Congrats on your sober/clean time - that's awesome...... This is my third time getting off alcohol and I know I'm done, too. I don't ever want to be controlled by a substance or drink again.

This place has been my rock for staying sober. Hope you'll keep reading and posting! And check out the section on substance abuse, too:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WELCOME!

how's your baby doing?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^^^^^^^^^ Thank You for the kind words! I will keep reading and posting away, I know recovery is 100% possible, as my brother has 5 years sobriety and I wish you all the best!! Thanks for the link btw I will check it out

using this site as a tool will be a major help and I wish you the very best in your recovery! I've found that the clarity I have reached in only 22 days of sobriety is so worth it, I'm not numb and not a slave to a drug anymore, life has new meaning.

Although my body still feels like I've been run over by a 18 wheeler, I still
have my sobriety and that is the one thing that rules the day! Any flightly feelings can easily be wished away with a little self control.

Stay Strong and Hang in there! Living Life on Life's Terms is the only way
Old 04-19-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KiKi Thank You!!!!!!!

my daughter is doing tremendous and her Mother is a rock! I enjoy every second I get to spend with her, it is a shear joy!!

I still have a lot of healing and damage control issues to deal with but at least her Mother gave me "one more chance" to get my act together, I don't plan on failing, failure is not an option! As Bob Dylan sang -The Times They are a-Changin- more Good Times and less bad, life is easier to deal with while sober, not the other way around.

I do believe that recovery is a gift that any addict should fight to hold onto, we are only one pill, one drink, one snort, away from that Hell that us addicts all know too well

I'll be hanging on enjoying my new found life! Thanks Again
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Kev70! Congratulations on your 22 days. Reading and posting here is great way to get feedback and connect with people who have gone through the same things you have. Feels great to have support!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am so glad you are here.

I look forward to reading your posts.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Opivotal-Thank You for the warm wishes! I really do appreciate the support!

Latte-Thank You, I'm glad there is a place online to share where you are Welcomed with open arms!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi Kev and welcome to SR You've found a wonderful, supportive community and I'm glad you're here! Congrats on your recovery, keep up the great work Keep posting, we'll be here!
Oh and I'm so happy to hear that your baby girl is doing great Being a parent is nothing short of a true blessing!
-Jess
Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Welcome Kevin,
Keep it up! I was born on Long Island (Rockville Centre). Think it has changed a bit since '56. Anyway, good to hear from a homey over here, keep posting!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

iliveforyou-Thanks for the welcoming and the kind words, one of the reasons recovery is such a miralce is the beauty of the people who open there arms to let you in! Thanks again!
Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome Kev-

Time to let go of old ideas, my friend.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Kjell~

PS - I was born in Port Jefferson.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ste-
Hi, Thanks for the welcome! I'm not originally from Long Island but I've been here long enough to know and have taken the Long Island Railroad enough times into Manhattan to tell you Rockville Center is still a nice area of Long Island to live. It has a beautiful church right near the train station and gorgeous surrounding homes
Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Kjell-
you've got that right!! My old schemes did nothing but casue me the lowest lows in my life, it's time to put a good foot forward and welcome life as it should be, sane and sober!

Thanks for the Welcoming!!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kevin

D
Old 04-20-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad to be here Dee! Thank You!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Kev - so glad you're here, and getting well. You never need to live that hellish life again. (I love Long Island - only got to visit a few times, but need to go back.)
Old 04-22-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank YOu Hevyn
Old 04-22-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Welcome! Hope you have some fun in here. The regulars are fun and give great hope and strength.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!