Notices

It's time to be done

Old 04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post
Does the melatonin help? I started taking it, but it doesn't seem to help me get to sleep.

SORRY - I shouldn't be asking this, but I was frustrated because the lady at the pharmacy told me melatonin helps a person get to sleep if they take it 1/2 hour before bedtime.

Kelly
The melatonin might not do anything for some people, it helps me a bit. I think it helps most when trying to reset their sleep time, not to correct really bad insomnia.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
Welcome.

What kind of advice are you looking for? Practical advice for the first few days? What physical and emotional things to expect? Program advice?
I guess all of the above. Whatever advice anyone can give. I'm taking it all in.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by txred76 View Post
I guess all of the above. Whatever advice anyone can give. I'm taking it all in.
Ok.

When I quit I went cold turkey, but the main thing that was different from the other times that I thought I might quit (notice the verbiage) was that I was determined to quit, at least for a vague while. I put in my mind that I had to stop and see how it affected my life. I really believe that's an important difference. You have to be fully invested in quitting and not approach it half-heartedly. Like Yoda says, "Do or do not, there is no try."

When I quit, I got lots of books, movies and holed up in my room for a couple of weeks (other than work). Those things kept me distracted. Any time I got a craving I made a cup of hot tea. I don't know why but hot tea (green, black, herb, whatever) helped me A LOT.

I kept a daily journal, almost like a science experiment, to see what the effects of quitting would be, and also so I could go back and reflect on exactly why I was quitting.

I'm not a religious person but reading about Buddhist philosophy has helped me stay calm and see the world in a new light. I know some people think it's a little weird but the Four Noble Truths and the idea that attachment leads to suffering made me realize that the sooner I abandoned attachment to alcohol and other negative aspects of my life, the sooner I could get on the road to recovery.

And on about day 3 or 4 I found SR and have been coming here daily ever since. Just reading others' experiences, advice, and support has been super helpful as well.

So, sorry for the novel (I admit reflecting on that is helpful for me too) but that's what I did when I quit and I hope it's useful for you too.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi, my first night on this forum, so I carry no weight except to say I am 41 years old and tried to taper off many times. I found it worked to greater or lesser degrees but (since I am here) never for longer than a few weeks for me.

I am going to keep an eye on this thread and hope to see your strength grow.... I just want you to know that there is another out here in the initial stages as well and hope we both find the peace and strength to get where we are going.

No promises and no demands..... Just hope for you and me. Alcohol is such as stupid thing, why can't we control it??????

BTW, I hope to go back a year or ten from now and decide how stupid this post sounds. But as long as it is with a sober history and clear mind, I look forward to that day.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thank all of you so much for your posts and your advice. I have to be honest with all of you because you have all been so honest with me and I must admit I got my 4 12 ounce beers instead of six, better than the usual and I knew my mind would be telling me I could have them and that tapering down would be just fine. But here I sit with my body telling me it was not enough and there are still a couple of hours until bedtime and ugh why didnt i buy more. I guess after all of the advice and wonderful supporting post today I KNOW you are all right. I cannot just slow down. It is addict in me that will never be able to do that. So I'm asking all the new friends I've made today to pray for me or wish me luck or whatever you wish to do because tomorrow I am officially quitting cold turkey. If I feel to much anxiety or physical discomfort I promise I will call the doctor. I can do this and am so thankful to God for finding SR. I know in the coming days and months it will be the such a great help to me. I can't do meetings because I have 3 boys and no sitter to watch them while I go to AA meetings so I will be on this site as much as I possibly can. Thank you again everyone. The tough part is just beginning.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Prayers, positive thoughts, and hugs going out to you. We'll be here to cheer you on through day 1......

I think you're making a wise choice (not to prolong things). The addict in us is always going to want "just one more."

Things are going to get better txred, and if we can do it, you can too!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I will think of you and wish you and your boys all the best..
Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

thank all of you so much for your posts and your advice. I have to be honest with all of you because you have all been so honest with me and I must admit I got my 4 12 ounce beers instead of six, better than the usual and I knew my mind would be telling me I could have them and that tapering down would be just fine. But here I sit with my body telling me it was not enough and there are still a couple of hours until bedtime and ugh why didnt i buy more. I guess after all of the advice and wonderful supporting post today I KNOW you are all right. I cannot just slow down. It is addict in me that will never be able to do that. So I'm asking all the new friends I've made today to pray for me or wish me luck or whatever you wish to do because tomorrow I am officially quitting cold turkey. If I feel to much anxiety or physical discomfort I promise I will call the doctor. I can do this and am so thankful to God for finding SR. I know in the coming days and months it will be the such a great help to me. I can't do meetings because I have 3 boys and no sitter to watch them while I go to AA meetings so I will be on this site as much as I possibly can. Thank you again everyone. The tough part is just beginning.

I also have 3 boys and little time for AA. I know it's hard but you can do it!

Best of luck.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

...here I sit with my body telling me it was not enough and there are still a couple of hours until bedtime and ugh why didnt i buy more.
Oh God, that was the WORST feeling...

But you told your alcoholic voice "no" today, and that's a BIG deal.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hugs. I am only 5 days ahead of you and I can tell you that my three children are already reaping the benefits of my decision to give up my nightly drinking. My schedule/children do not permit me to go to meetings at the moment either. Instead I come straight to SR after they are in bed and I read and read and read. I've discovered that I am not alone. I gain inspiration from those here that have years of sobriety and tell of the positive change in their lives. I gain motivation from everyone--especially those that are only days or weeks ahead. Immerse yourself and you may find that your 'problem hours' pass much more quickly.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

B
But here I sit with my body telling me it was not enough and there are still a couple of hours until bedtime and ugh why didnt i buy more.
I can't tell you how many nights I've uttered those same words........I would have to gage my beer or wine purchases on my what I predetermined would be a "safe" amount to not get totally trashed based on what my next workday looked like. I had already learned the hardway that I could, and would, consume everything in the house when i got on a roll. It was when I faced the cold hard truth that I could not, would not stop once in the "groove" that I finally understood I needed to quit and was indeed an alcoholic.

I quit cold turkey not knowing any better and used some anti-anxiety meds rx'd for my fear of flying I had to ease the jitters and help me sleep. After joining SR I wouldn't recommend it but it worked for me.

You can do this txred and everyone is here to help.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

The last day I drank I only had three pints, that was on a Friday night and there was still plenty of time to buy beer at the stores and even more to hit a bar that night, but I stayed strong reading this forum and listening to recordings of AA speakers. That first weekend I was tired, but my brain was wired and waiting for more of the drink, I could not force myself to get tired enough to sleep for more than an hour or two each day. Thankfully for me, once I made it around to the second weekend I was sleeping more soundly and I wasn't worrying about how much time I had left to go on a beer run for my nightly fix. Remember to not be ashamed if you start eating everything in the house, it happens to most. I am starting to get over my incredible spike in appetite, but I do keep some sugar-free snacks nearby (mostly sunflower seeds).
Best Wishes

Edit: You might want to take some extra vitamins if you don't take them already.. B-Complex.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well here it is. Wednesday morning. Time to get my sober on. There is no alcohol in the house and as long as I stay in the frame of mind I am in right now that I am not allowed to stop anywhere and get any. So when I get home without any Im not gonna fool myself into thinking I wont be anxious and wanting to go get some. I am gonna get my evening stuff done and get on here to keep myself busy. Once my boys are in bed I wont be able to leave and go get any so then Im stuck like it or not. LOL So its making it through the day and evening til bedtime. I am telling myself no making excuses all afternoon for reasons to stop and get some. I think it is helping that I am feeling really good about this. I know compared to alot of others on here my addiction seems mild but in my mind its not what it is now it is looking into the future and seeing where it can lead and that is the scary part. I didnt mind drinking alone and didnt need others around to share it with and if any was in the house i would drink it til there wasnt any left. That in my mind is the scariest part and the fact that the amount kept slowly rising. Anyway im rambling now.... LOL i guess i just need to get my thoughts out so I can move forward in this journey. Thanks for all the support, advice, and well wishes. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I'm know my day at work will be stressful per usual but NO EXCUSES FOR BUYING ANY BEER!!!!!

BTW im on msn messenger and ***** messenger on my phone that i check throughout the day if anyone wants to yell at me today to BE GOOD!!! HAHA!!

Last edited by txred76; 04-20-2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have 4 kids (all grown now, thank god. LOL) I know how hard it can be but if you contact your AA chances are someone knows someone who would watch them for an hour! Believe me they will jump at the chance to get you there.

Hopefully, this last interlude with beer will be enough. You will quit when its your time. The seeds are getting planted and its a matter of time before they grow. It takes alot of coordination to quit...our mind has to say I'm done, our soul wants to be filled with happiness and heart needs to say I'm ready to be filled with new life. But all at the same time. When one part isn't willing...the rest will not succeed.

Keep posting.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You can do this......

Expect the alcoholic voice to try to entice you (and there are SO many ways it can do that)......No matter what it tells you, remember that it is insane. The good news is that the further away you get from that last drink, the more you'll uncover the sane and healthy part of you.

Give it time, take your B vitamins, and eat...... it really helps with the cravings. Hang in there!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It is almost impossible to taper off as I have tried that but your right you find a way back to the store "honey I forgot bread" routine. Get another 1/2 pint to add to the other 1/2 pint I already drank. Today is day 1 for me and i'm not looking forward to the next 7 days but it is a must for me.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Checking in real quick. So far so good. Boys are eating bbq chicken I cooked on the grill and we are getting ready to watch our wednesday funny shows on abc. Love the middle and modern family. LOL Little bit of anxiety this evening with all the craziness of homework and dinner and such but i'm hanging in there. Yes I wanted to stop and get some beer but I didn't give in. Just praying I can sleep tonight. I use beer to help me go to sleep so it might be a rough night. Hope everyone is having a good peaceful evening. Gonna try and get on after the boys go to bed and read some posts and get on chat and visit. That will be the toughest time I think.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

WTG not giving in to the urge to stop by the store! Sleeping was hard the first 2 nights last week for me. I'm finding myself insanely tired early tonight though, lol.

BTW, Modern Family is hilarious and I can't wait to watch tonight's episode!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Taper down, LOL. My outpatient counselor recommended that. Just not possible, I wind up driving back to the store after drinking whatever "safe" amount, risking DWI.

That is the worst, most counter-productive advice to give to an alcoholic. I kind of doubt my counselors credibility after that one.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Didn't sleep well last night but I expected it. Got on my computer and played some world of Warcraft and aion online til the wee hours of the morning. Lol yes I like those silly games. Haven't played in a while. Kept my mind busy. Kinda feel ansty inside this am but not for a drink I've never been a morning drinker. Think it's from lack of sleep and having 2 get up early. Lots 2 do 2 get ready 4 Easter but I'm just gonna tackle one thing at a time and try not 2 get overwhelmed. Praying 2 make it through another day. Hoping everyone has a wonderful Thursday I got tons 2 get done at work before the weekend. Peace and sober thoughts all. (fingers crossed)