Notices

Horrible anxiety since I quit drinking

Old 04-18-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Horrible anxiety since I quit drinking

Ever since I quit drinking, I've been struggling with horrible anxiety. I've been sober for 3 days. Being sober feels weird. Before I got sober, I was drinking heavily every day and was never sober. I became an all day every day drinker. And, now being sober feels weird. Sadly, being drunk had became normal for me. Now, I just feel anxious all the time especially when it comes to getting back out there and interacting with the world. It's all so unfamiliar to me.

Like, my goal for this week is to call the stores that I put job applications in at. And, to put some more job applications in. I just feel overwhelmed. It feels like I'm staring at a huge mountain.

It doesn't help that I have horrible financial struggles right now caused by my drinking, and I HAVE to find a job as soon as possible.

Today, I read an acronym called FOCUS= Freaking Out Causes Unnecessary Stress.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I quit, I discovered that I had been using alcohol to bury an anxiety problem. Maybe your doctor can help you with that- mine did.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had horrible anxiety for a couple weeks after I quit drinking, it does get better with time. I would take walks and try to keep busy as that seemed to help me. I also drank gallons of water, tried to eat a healthy diet and got plenty of rest. If you feel like you can't cope please go see your doctor. Stay strong and stay focused you can do this!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i echo the other peeps on here's advice...talk to doctor asap!!!! I for one self medicated with drugs and alcohol for many years to cover up alot of anxiety and other mental issues that i have had since early childhood...you can do it...yes you can!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BC-

I agree with the previous posts. Talk with your doctor. Anxiety from alcohol withdrawl is very common, and most doctors worth their salt will know how to help you.

Also, AA helped me a LOT throughout my first few weeks of sobriety. Helps me out now even more.

Zube
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too found that I was masking a fairly significant problem with anxiety. After being sober for a couple of months, I finally saw a psychiatrist who is working with me to find the right medication(s) to help with anxiety and depression. It's too soon to tell the effects and I definitely still have bad days (see my eariler post!) but I'm hopeful. I've also started seeing a therapist.
At three days sober, I was a complete wreck. Even at 30 days and 45 days, I was miserable. Things are finally starting to get a little better... What I do know is things would have been WAY worse had I not gotten sober and started outpatient rehab when I did. I was on the fast track of a downward spiral.
My point is, hang in there. It may not get better right away. But you've opened the door to the possibility now that you've stopped drinking. It's a possibility that just wouldn't be available otherwise.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a lot of anxiety issues too, but you know it's easier to deal with it in recovery. I know what it is and I know what I can do to help myself. You might find that you can adjust and feel more confident in dealing with your anxiety as your recovery continues.

Good for you for pursuing a new job. It's always hard to put yourself out there. Try to make some realistic and specific goals each day regarding the job search. Then be proud of yourself at the end of the day when you can scratch them off your 'to do' list.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeap.....I'll echo all of the anxiety and withdrawal sentiments, too. My panic issues lasted for a few weeks, but once they disappear, it's amazing how good you'll feel. Fortunately, I didn't have any pressing responsibilities at the time, so I was able to ride it out. On the other hand, if I had seen a doctor early on, I probably could've managed the withdrawal period much better. Now that I look back, it was stupid of me not to have seen one. I wish you the best!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

At least I know that I am working towards getting better now that I quit drinking. When I was drinking, it was hopeless because it was a self-defeating and never-ending downward spiral.

But, now I'm going to continue moving forward and see what the future has in store for me in recovery.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day three is tough!

Call your doc right now! I did my detox in hospital but many do it at home with a doc helping.

I am a laid back confident type and never had anxiety problems. I was as heavy a drinker as you. I had several panic attacks in the first month of sobriety. Now none. I am not telling you it is OK. I was OK because I called my doc.

Whether you have had anxiety attacks before or not, call your doc. Docs know what you need.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

you can do it...yes you can!!!

Bob the builder can be a huge support during recovery! Hehe

I don't think it was so much the anxiety for me as the huge mountain I had to move. After all the dust clears and you look at life in a seemingly more managable way all these things seem overwhelming. My only advice for this is taking it literally one day at a time.
Today I had two or three things I had to do. I did them, crossed them off my list and gave myself a high 5. I'm not looking to tomorrow...it will be here in a day. I will have new list then and will deal with that then.
Glad to hear you started job searching. That in itself can be depresssing and make us feel anxious. But everything happens in the right time. The past two weeks for me and job apps has been rewarding. I did not stress over it. When one door closed I made sure I had a key for the next. And when oportunity knocked I opened the door.
I found a job and start as soon as my background stuff comes back.
You can do it...yes, you can!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't have medical insurance so I can't call a doctor.

I can't even afford groceries this week. I literally only have a little bit of milk left, 1 box of cereal, 3 yogurts, and some animal crackers. That is all I have left for groceries for the week. A lot of fear is starting to come over me.

I'm just trying to get by while I keep getting the job apps out. Hanging in there.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wink

I have to echo the others as well. The anxiety is he** at first, but hang in there, it does pass (even though at the time it doesn't feel like it). I am on day 14 (after being 2 years sober, so this is my second time around). The first week is super tough, but it does get easier, I promise. I am starting to feel really good now. Drink lots of water and take vitamins if you have some there. And sleep alot if you can. It's the beginning of your body healing.

Hang in there and good luck on the job search!!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am feeling better after reading these posts
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just remember that its anxiety
I know its difficult when the feelings of impending doom are upon you.
It is fight or flight mode, psychosomatic.
You will come out the other side!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think thats part of the reason we can't stop. We are so used to medicating ourselves with alcohol and feeling numb that once we are sober it is really scary. There is a whole world out there that we now have to deal with...forget the physical part of detox. Emergen-C is a great vitamin that has lots of minerals that you need to feel better.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

The worst anxiety left for me after 3 days, but for a couple weeks I was jumpy, irritable, and VERY easily overwhelmed. I let a lot of things go during that time and just read posts on SR. I kept hanging on to what others said - that it does get better.

Sure enough it did, so give yourself some TLC, eat stuff you like (helps with the cravings if your blood sugar doesn't get too low), and be sure you're taking a good vitamin B complex.

We're all behind you and believe in you!!:day6
Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good advice on the anxiety. If it persists look for a free clinic or something perhaps?

There may be help in your area with food and medical needs BC....give this link a click and hopefully you'll find a local number to call.

2-1-1 Call Center Search

D