Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sober Day 17 and counting...BUT is this a good time to quit smoking? *more*

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I smoked my last cig about 3 hrs ago, using gum and patches. Cigarettes just tasted so *NASTY* since I quit drinking, blechhh.
Am I setting myself up for failure attempting 2 major quits at once?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am thinking LeFemme and who else did it.......can't think..but it was too much for me..I say what the heck..it works for others. Maybe Itchy did it too! Yeah..You are strong if you pull it off.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PinkRoses

I quit both at once - because I only really smoked when I drank it worked out ok for me.

Others here have had problems, I know - but if give it a go...you'll know pretty soon if it's too big an ask right now, I think

good luck!
D
Old 04-17-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=pinkroses;2938024]I smoked my last cig about 3 hrs ago, using gum and patches. Cigarettes just tasted so *NASTY* since I quit drinking, blechhh.
Am I setting myself up for failure attempting 2 major quits at once?[/QUO

hey i know i can't give medical advice but are you chewing the gum and using the patch? i didn't know you could do that......and i know i couldn't quit in the very beginning but i guess everyone is different...i have heard answers to that on both sides and i say do what you think you can handle and talk to your doctor closely and remember to be honest with him/her so that person can help you to the best of their abilities. As for me...i quit for four or five months and just picked it back up yuk...i am so disapointed in myself....also i think there are threads forums and posts that people are on that can give you some good advice as well...check em out... and i hope you find the best situation for you all my best wishes.....
Old 04-17-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Some people here have done it. I haven't attempted to quit smoking because I've determined that I'm just not done yet.

The doctor at the detox facility I went to told me not to attempt to quit smoking until I had at least six month solid sobriety. I'm coming up on 3 years sobriety, and still haven't tried to quit smoking. lol
Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The patches and gum were prescribed to use together, Gum is for breakthru nic fits while on patch.....
Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

YUCK. I quit 8/29/08
It was hard, cold turkey, I thought I would never be happy again, not true!!!!
Drinking and smoking are BFF's.
Stop both.
Proud of you, keep it up.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Giving up drinking was far easier for me (and it wasn't easy at all) than quitting smoking. When I quit drinking the w/d made me feel like I was going to die. When I quit smoking the w/d make me want to kill anyone near me. I'm still smoking but really need to quit.
  # 9 (permalink)  

wow ok...

Originally Posted by pinkroses View Post
The patches and gum were prescribed to use together, Gum is for breakthru nic fits while on patch.....
was just worried didn't know the facts..thanks i will remember that when i am ready to give it up for good this time
  # 10 (permalink)  

It was suggested to take care of alcoholism
or drug addiction first. Work on that just for
now then you can take care of other things
down the road.

Focusing on not drinking or drugs will
take all your concentration at this time. Building
a strong solid foundation of recovery for a
successful sobriety will be important.

Once you are at a good place in handling all ur
issues reguarding your drinking or using then
work on not smoking or other issues in ur life.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I tried to do both at the same time, it did not work for me. I was at the point booze was killing me faster than smokes so I picked booze to work on first. I'm now nearing 70 days without alcohol and the smokes are next on the hit list. I have the gum on hand and Tuesday is my day, that way I can quit smoking on my 70th day without drinking. I just couldn't battle both demons at the same time.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Depends on you. I tried to quit smoking a couple of weeks or so after I quit drinking...no go for me. I have a friend who quit both at the same time over 2 weeks ago and he is still going strong. He's my new Jolly Rancher candy buddy, always has them on him now.

Mr. Huggs says he'll quit with me this time. He wants to wait a couple of weeks until after a family event. I think I'll try the patch this time too.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 3 days after I quit drinking. For me cigarettes and alcohol went hand in hand and one triggered the other. Smoke free 47 days and sober 50!
Its up to you, has worked so far for me. :-)
Old 04-17-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I too kicked this thing around early on. Drinking was my gateway into many substances and smoking was one of them. The way I looked at it was what was my biggest hole in the boat? Drinking was by far, my biggest problem. I felt it was best to focus all of my attention on that problem. The good news is I haven't drank in over 4 months, the bad news is - just like drinking - "nothing changes if nothing changes". So I still smoke. Probably 10 cigs per day. Could be better, could be worse.

I think quitting smoking is tough no matter if you're new to sobriety or have been at it a while. I hope to quit someday, but for now, I'll just keep, keeping on.

Best of luck and congrats on the sober time!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"They" whoever THEY compare nicotine to heroin in terms of bad @ssed addictions. I read that somewhere.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have to quit one thing at a time. I quit drinking first, because I knew that every time I drank, id want a smoke(s), but not necessarily vice-versa. However, some people do seem to have success quitting both at the same time.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Idk how you feel but i use tobacco as a huge crutch towards sobriety to be completely honest (along with AA and here). I want to quit but i know i am sober now and staying sober for longest in (27 days). Right now, i do not want to do anything to change that and i know quitting tobacco will stress me out bad. I want my mind to be stronger before i take it on. I want at least 6 months before i take that on.

That being said...that is all me. I have no idea how you are feeling and if you want to take it on. If you decide to, good luck. Better health and bigger savings will be in future
Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I quit for 14 years and stress brought it back couple three years now. Dumb, I know. But coupled with the drinking I figured I'll quit one thing at a time. I needed to deal with the drinking head on...feelings, etc since it is such more muffling than smoking.
Everything happens in time. When it is time that I have fully dealt with my alcohol addiction then I will tackle the smokes.
It is different for everyone...you have nothing to lose by trying but I figured it would be a distraction to my major concerns of the drinking.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I quit both at the same time. I figured if I am going to suffer I might as well suffer both. 100 days now and still going strong. It is hard at times but no turning back now.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spen71 View Post
I quit both at the same time. I figured if I am going to suffer I might as well suffer both. 100 days now and still going strong. It is hard at times but no turning back now.
awesome aproach!!!! i comend you and congrats on your 100 days!!!