Notices

New to this discussion board

Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this discussion board

Hello all. I am new to this discussion board. I have 111 days sober today and feel that posting in these rooms and reading other peoples posts will be helpful in my recovery. I attend AA meetings and am working with a sponsor. I call my sponsor every day and meet with her once a week. She says that I am working the program right and that I am doing great, however I do not feel that way. This is the second time I have attempted to quit drinking. The first time I did not go to AA meetings, I only went to an outpatient clinic four times per week. However, the people that were in my group did not want to be there. They were forced there by the courts. Needless to say, I was sober for over a month, quit attending meetings, and was drinking again in no time. I thought I could control it but within a month I was drinking like I had before. This time I have been very diligent about attending meetings and am attempting to do everything right so that I do not drink again.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angelus1775 View Post
Hello all. I am new to this discussion board. I have 111 days sober today and feel that posting in these rooms and reading other peoples posts will be helpful in my recovery. I attend AA meetings and am working with a sponsor. I call my sponsor every day and meet with her once a week. She says that I am working the program right and that I am doing great, however I do not feel that way. This is the second time I have attempted to quit drinking. The first time I did not go to AA meetings, I only went to an outpatient clinic four times per week. However, the people that were in my group did not want to be there. They were forced there by the courts. Needless to say, I was sober for over a month, quit attending meetings, and was drinking again in no time. I thought I could control it but within a month I was drinking like I had before. This time I have been very diligent about attending meetings and am attempting to do everything right so that I do not drink again.
well i have less than a year clean and sober...so i don't know if i am the best help to you...what i will say...from my own experience of constant relapses....you have to want this as much as you want to breath and if you don't want to breath seek out a doctor that you feel comfortable talking to honestly.....i believe the reason for my many relapses was due not to the lack of knowledge..(been to ever a meeting out there) but because i would always find stuff to excuse my using or drinking...whether it be a fight with my daughter or boyfriend(that i usually started)or just being impulsive and get the case of f-its...anyways there are great people that have taught me so much about myself on here and i only got here this week...and i will tell you this....i feel way better and more sober today than i have this last year of getting clean....good luck and welcome
Old 04-17-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

So glad you are here.

I work the program of AA and it has been successful for me for over 10 years now. There are ups and downs of course and sometimes I have wondered if I am doing it right but they best indicator for me has been asking myself if the 'obsession' to drink is gone. I still occasionally get the 'compulsion' to drink but that is of course fleeting. The best definition I have heard of the difference between obsession and compulsion is. With compulsion one see a can laying in the street and has the compulsion or desire to kick it. So they do but they go on about their way. With obsession one feels the desire to kick the can but then instead of going along their way they feel the need to go all over town looking for more cans to kick.

These forums have had a great influence on my sobriety and one of the best things I have done for my sobriety is join here.

Take care, keep up the good work on your sobriety, and stick around here. Hopefully you find the experience, strength and hope I have found here.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Angelus ! Happy you decided to join us. We have a fantastic recovery site. Congratulations on 111 days sober!!

:ghug3

Best Wishes To You!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and congratulations on 111 days!

SR has been a big part of my recovery...people here, 24/7, who "get" me. I've found it doesn't really matter what our addiction is to, there are many similarities in what we go through.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-17-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Angelus.
Congratulations on your sobertime

why don't you feel you're doing great though?
D
Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

Welcome, Angelus1775! Congratulations on your 111 days! Good job!

I think you've already worked out one of the keys to recovery: as with anything else, one gets out of it what one puts into it.

For me AA is a valuable tool because it provides a simple structure for me to invest myself in my recovery. Taking the steps, going to meetings, and talking to my sponsor and other alcoholics all help keep me focused on recovery.

By now, day 1045, I have established a habit and deep association between AA and serenity. When I am feeling stressed, I know I can go to a meeting and will feel better afterward. Sometimes much better!

I am so grateful that I no longer have to crawl into a bottle to feel better.

In meetings I also get to hear the message that sobriety can get better with practice and that I can completely change my life one day at a time.

Good luck and God bless!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 111 days and Welcome!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Angelus - congrats on your days sober! You must be doing some things right to be sober this long...... Do you feel like you're in a slump right now or has it been a struggle all along?

I think you'll find the extra support here really helpful. Keep posting and reading!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I learned the last time I came back to AA that what I thought was "the program"-- meetings, fellowship, coffee, etc., was not "the program."

The program is the 12 steps.

I can't stay sober by just hanging out in meetings and calling my sponsor. And it wasn't until someone pointed out to me that I had it backwards-- I thought meetings were mandatory and steps were optional, when the reverse is actually true-- that I started to get better.

The founder of AA, Bill Wilson, said that the purpose of an AA meeting is the teaching and practice of the steps. Finding meetings that adhere to this is hard, but worthwhile.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Angelus!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 111 days. I find this site very helpful. I hope you do as well!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Everyone

Thank you all for your kind words. It has not been this much of a struggle, especially the first two months of my sobriety. The last three weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. I am not one to wear my emotions on my sleeve. When it comes to my feelings, I am very reserved. However, lately that has not been the case. My sponsor feels that I am making progress and she is happy that I am putting words to my emotions. Some days are better than others. The hardest part of this all is that I am in school right now. The semester is winding down and research papers are coming due. I cannot seem to focus or concentrate on the assignments which makes everything else worse. I am trying to take it one day at a time.