Notices

The Reflex to Drink

Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

when i had only one or three drinks a night for a few weeks or so,i thought i had my alcoholism under control.
that voice said see your not an alcoholic ...you can have a few every night.

in reality i had lit a long fuse that went BANG and ended me up in hospital. not knowing what the hell had happened.
alcohol CUNNING. BAFFLING. and very very POWERFUL
Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a terrific spouse

1. 1 drink???? What's the point? Seriously.

2. It fades quicker if you work at it actively...practice changing your thinking.

I think you have a great attitude and this a fantastic thread
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

The reflex does go away but for me anyway it took practice. Every time I had that urge I had to actively do something else (like something soothing). Eventually the drinking reflex went away (I have been sober for 8 mos).
Old 04-18-2011, 02:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Missy,
Lots of fantastic advice on this thread. I will reiterate what almost everyone has said: you may have one drink tonight and go to bed and all will be well. You may do the same thing tomorrow night and feel even better about it. And the next and the next. But it's where that one drink will lead you down the road that's the real problem. Almost guaranteed, if you're an alcoholic, that it will lead you on to an epic bender, and who knows what the consequences of that may be.
It's the pattern over months and years that makes us alcoholics, not our behavior on singular evenings or days.
I, too, am in the grip of wild mood swings now, but apparently, it is to be expected. Artsoul pointed me to a piece of information in another thread, about post-acute withdrawal symptoms, and it helped a lot to know that what I am feeling now is "normal". It is also humbling to realize just how far the effects of alcohol addiction reach into one's life, and how they effect almost every function of your brain and body. Reading this helped me immensely, and made me realize that if I relapse, next time I try to quit will be that much harder and that much more terrifying. Check it out; it helped me immensely:
PAWS « Digital Dharma
Best of luck to you. Sounds like you have all the necessary support systems in place.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
The Winner Takes It All!!!!!

hi all i am only one month today, but i have had no will, want, urge or needto have a beer after 18 years of 200 units a week. im on no medication and since leaving an inpatient detox i have never looked back. i replaced beer with tea, this means i still have the arm movement of lifting to drink. i got rid of every pint glass in the house. I order tea while playing pool in the pub oneday a week.

I must admit i feel unusual to all the others in my support group, but what i have noticed is that the urge to drink can be supressed, but only your mind can do this. only you have the power in your hands to change your destiny.

Drinking reflex can quickly become non drinking reflex, but you have to believe it really deep down. when you believe then it becomes second nature.

Support is vital too, and there is no better place online, im an internet geek i know and looked, this site is by far the best support network you could want.