Notices

Second DUI and Going to Treatment

Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Second DUI and Going to Treatment

Funny how.. just last week I was talking to my husband telling him I wanted to check out some impatient facilities to see if they might be helpful to me. And, funny how.. when I went out on Monday and had one drink.. that my back tire blew and I slammed into a poll and funny.. how I tried to get the car home.. but, it wouldn't make it.. then of course is when the cops showed up.

Lucky I nor anyone else was hurt.

What I didn't know is that if you refuse roadside soberity tests you get a free pass to go directly to jail don't pass go and don't collect 200.00 dollars.

With that being said I was charged with my second DUI even though if I would have taken the stupid tests I would have passed. I am still so pissed at myself for that.

So, now here I am... trying to hold it together... trying not to think of myself as the biggest loser on the planet... trying not to really consider the fact that this is a good thing... and maybe it is. I just don't know how the else to see it right now.

But, it has given me conviction that I need to get clean and stay clean. So, if this is what it has taken.. so be it. I am super stressed... I want to cry and kick and scream... but, I know it won't do any good. I want to know that I am not a horrible person... but, I can not fell that way now. For some reason I have no compassion for myself right now.

Anyway, I have found a treatment facility and I am checking myself in on Monday. I am hopeful that this will work. It has to. I don't have anything left to lose... well yes I do.. my job, my house, my husband. I guess I still have alot ot hold on to.

Anyway, please light a candle for me.

Regards,
Saliena
Old 04-17-2011, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Good luck S. We are rooting for you!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck with your treatment.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that things were not worse with the drinking and driving, Saliena.

Good luck with your treatment program.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Wow! If you needed a sign, I guess you got a big one! Good for you for taking steps to take care of your situation.

The candle is lit.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you Saliena! Your taking the right measures to assure this never happens again. The past is past, time to make a new future for yourself. You should be proud of yourself for getting help. I wish you the best!

:ghug3
Old 04-17-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will think of you..hope you can check in and let us know how you are doing. Right before I quit..this was my fear. I walked on alot of nights..but I also drove on some. Not proud of that. I wish you absolute sobriety! Glad no one got hurt.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a few wake up calls too, and that matters. But they did eventually do a sobriety test, didn't they? If you blew over your state's limit, then you would blown that on site. I think they do that regardless once they get you out of the car, so don't kick yourself. The roadside BAC is inadmissible, but the results of it get you to jail anyway.

I want to be careful here. I do not condone drunk driving. I spent my entire life watching over my three daughters as they moved from place to place on dangerous roads. We've been lucky so far. But I also know that one of the main features of alcoholism is this deep pervading guilt. I don't think that guilt supercedes basic jurisprudence.

Being an alcoholic means you need help and you need to be terribly responsible. You need to be vigilant. You cannot give in to the gnawing temptation to fall helplessly into a bottle (obviously channeling my own problems here).

But it does not automatically make you guilty. If you are not legally guilty, you aren't.

We feel so guilty. I have spent evenings alone with my husband drinking at home and woke up the next morning feeling like I had been plucking the hearts out of kittens and barbecuing them. That's part of the syndrome.

Get help. Don't kick yourself. It will pass.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Good luck with your treatment Saliena, I hope it goes well for you Keep us updated if possible. Take care of yourself and really throw yourself into your recovery!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you decided to give drinking another go Saliena, but I'm glad it didn't turn out even worse.

I think rehab is a good idea and I wish you the best - see you when you get back

D
Old 04-17-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All the best Saliena. I hope this can be the beginning of something great for you. Sending you good thoughts
Old 04-17-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad that was all you hit and not some innocent family. Your not a bad person just do the work and stop drinking. You are very blessed that is that happened. I am VERY happy your getting help and that you are not resisting.
Keep coming back here!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i pray this works out 4 u......ive been tryin hard 2 stay sober the past week n failed many times i know its a hard thing 2 go thru!!!! good luck!!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're not a bad person...just a good person making bad choices.
Glad you are hitting rehab.
Candle lit and you're on my blessing list. ((hug))
Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Treatment will help you have compassion for yourself again. I'm sorry all this had to happen, but I think it's wonderful that you going to treatment. Look at it as an investment in a happy future.

Hang in there - things will get better, Saliena.....
Old 04-17-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

wish you the best. Make the best choices today!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good Luck, Saliena.

If you can take these feelings of guilt and remorse with you to treatment you it may actually work even better. I knew I didn't want to go through that hell again - My experience is similar to yours. Congrats on getting into a program. I look forward to hearing how it went and how you feel.