SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Confession Time (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/224829-confession-time.html)

Missy7 04-17-2011 08:40 AM

About NA beer. I'm utterly aware that it may be problematic. Remember, I'm really a binge drinker, maybe not an old-style alcoholic (as defined by my dad--who binged 24/7) so I have lots and lots of education. That and at least three alkie sisters, years of trying to AA to help with my dad (He has to want to, he has to want to), etc. I know about changing the patterns.

But my own issue involves two habits: my drinking problem (a very real thing) and my social life (also pretty real). And I'll tell you, the NA beer worked very well. I didn't love it, but all bars carry it and I can order it and I am not a big soda drinker. I am on a diet though (a serious one) and I'm guessing it's all the calories without the kick so that is under consideration.

I can tell you also--as an alcohol vampire--that if there is alcohol in those suckers I didn't catch a whiff of it. I had one each at two bars, did not desire another, and then suggested we go home when I'm usually keying up for the next great adventure--if not alcohol then food. So for me, it's a terrific alternative. If bars would carry diet 7-up I would be fine. But very few do.

Dee74 04-17-2011 03:04 PM

The problem with NA beer for me is it looks like beer, it tastes like beer and it feels like beer in my hand.

Especially in a bar, it always led me back to real thing....maybe not the first night...but eventually

I fully realise that maybe not your story, Missy...

but why NA beer?
if not a soft drink why not juice, water...? :dunno:

D

wow1323 04-17-2011 03:35 PM

"I am not a fan of throwing things away I paid for?"
umm, you might want to re-think that.

Missy7 04-17-2011 04:50 PM

I want an easy order. I don't want to explain. That's why O'douls. I can say it and it's over. We went to lunch today at our place (we live in the country and have FEW alternatives). I said, "I'll have tomato juice." The girls said, "Just tomato juice?" and I had to say, "Yes." It was okay and maybe I'm up for it now. Who knows.

On the other hand, I was out to lunch after having run barrels on my horse. I was utterly stable. He even came out of the second barrel bucking (we haven't ridden much lately) and I had no problem riding it. Just a tad off balance and that would have been a disaster. 8 days.

Dee74 04-17-2011 04:56 PM

Ok...yr call...hope it does the trick for you Missy :)

D

crittery 04-17-2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by wow1323 (Post 2938047)
"I am not a fan of throwing things away I paid for?"
umm, you might want to re-think that.

It's just how I was brought up. Not to be wasteful... even though throwing away tobacco is no waste. But I parted with money for it. My mate is tight on cash at the moment but he's a smoker (go figure) so if he wants it he can have it. But I'm hoping that when I tell him that I've quit for good he'll join me. Then I can throw it out.

Dee74 04-17-2011 10:24 PM

I used to think like that too Crittery - I paid good money for this bottle, or this cask or whatever...

but what kind of value system is it where we'd sooner waste ourselves than we would money?

D

crittery 04-17-2011 10:43 PM

Hmm that's a good way of looking at it Dee.