Notices

Newbie here

Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Newbie here

Hello, I have never done this before so bare with me because I don't know where to begin or what to do. I am 42 years old and I have been a drinker since High School. But I don't want to drink anymore, I hate it. I drink wine every night after work and on weekend nights. My mother passed away from drinking and I don't want to die too. This is my first night that I just decided not to have the wine.
I drink wine to self medicate my anxiety (not panic attacks). I started counseling a week ago to deal with the anxiety and also grief counseling. Any suggestions for a newbie?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome mamabear! I'm glad you found us. I was pretty much a nightly wine drinker myself and I know what it's like to be at the end of your rope. I vowed many times to give it up only to pick up another drink the next night.

It's a vicious cycle and we all need help to get out of it. You're taking the first step towards that, so congratulations! Keep reading and posting - you're not alone!:ghug3
Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
-New Me-

welcome to SR.

you took the first step and joined looking for help, so you are on the right track. just stay strong and stick to your guns if you Really want to quit drinking.
you will find tons of helpful information on this site.... there are many wise people here. it starts with you though. so if you really want this, put in 110% effort and it will come in time .. i am on my way, i hope you will be too.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mld

Hi mamabear and welcome. I got my first hangover when I was fifteen once I was old enough to drink it was on. It first started every once in a while then every weekend and at the end to every day. This went on for about 5 years ans I just got worse and worse. Every time that I drank I would end up making a fool of myself and every morning I would wake up feeling remorefull. The last time that I got in trouble with law I was sent to AA. At first I didn't like it but the more I went I realize that I belong there. I been sober for 3 1/2 years now for half of this time I have not been able to make it to meeting and its finally getting to me. This is why I decided to try this also. I just sign up in sr a few days ago myself. Feel free to send me messages any time. I know what you are going trough you are not alone. Take care and hope to hear from you..
Old 04-16-2011, 12:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Mamabear. Every day counts. This is a wonderful place full of people who really do care about you. Keep posting and reading. Check in every day and help the people newer than yourself...that seems to be the best thing to me.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mamabear
You'll find a lot of support here

If you've been regularly drinking for a while, it might be a good idea to see your dr - detox can sometimes be tricky for some of us.

D
Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family, mamabear!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome....you are not alone
Old 04-17-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you !

Wow thank you for the welcome posts! I am really glad I found this site, it is really helpful. I find that just even reading the threads to be helpful, and I like the chat rooms.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

reply for Dee74

Hello Dee74, I am still trying to figure out how to navigate/reply to posts on this site...not sure if you will see this. I wanted to reply to your post about your suggestion of talking to my doctor about detoxing. I didn't drink at all from 3/6 - 3/12, because I just wanted to quit. I didn't feel anything physical but I did feel the emotional stuff. Then I drank again after that week. I just had my annual physical last week and I chickened out about telling my doc about my drinking. If I start to feel anything physical at all I will call my doc. Thanks for caring :-)
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Hi Mamabear Welcome to SR, these forums are filled with support and people who care! You are not alone and I am so glad that you joined us Keep posting as often as you need and we'll be there for you!
-Jess
Old 04-17-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome!! I am also new here. I startd a week ago 2morow.....how did ur 1st nite go? me also bein new i dont really have advise 2 give ya but keep comin back i love this place!! u will get the support u need!!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I saw your post Mamabear - I'm glad you're keeping a watch on things

D
Old 04-17-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

when we come out of the haze of alcohol abuse.

we begin to see clearly the life god intended for us.
all we have to do is listen and do the due things and life gets incredibly better.
welcome mamabear .

this is a great place of healing and learning