Notices

What is next?

Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi flatsix

It took me a lot longer than three days to feel good. Drinking was my life - I did everything while drinking.

Removing that from my life was a huge shock mentally and physically and it does take time patience and commitment to get through that.

Thats why support is so important - noone does this alone IMO. Use this place - and check out your real life options like AA, SMART and other recovery groups too.

If you've drunk for 20 years seeing a Dr would be a great idea as well. Detox can sometimes be troublesome for some of us.

A couple of people have spoken about a void. I felt I had a void too - a hole within me - one I tried to fill with booze and other drugs.

I tried for 20 years and it never really worked. The pot brownies won't work either.
Only trying a new and different way approach to life and its problems worked for me.

The only way I dealt with my void was not to fill it, but to heal it - and that takes time and effort and, above all, changes.

If you're at all like me the thought of change is terrifying - but if if we want to change our life, change is mandatory anyway.

I've worked hard - I've done a lot more than just not drinking....
I'm not the same man I was when I was drinking - I'm better.

I cope with stuff now I could only dream of doing 4 years ago....and I do it sober.

You can do it too flatsix (and you Chris)
D
Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This site is a huge help for me! Im not really down with the aa scene. I will probably spend most the night here because I dont really want to go out.Im still feeling good and I think a little alone time is good for me to regroup and figure out what to do with my free time!On the upside Im excited because i just remebered that im sober and i never drive at night because of a dui risk.I think a little nightime crusin may be in order!Cant remember when the last time I did that!!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think I started feeling better after day 4 - the anxiety seemed to be gone (thank God!) and I felt more positive, content. It took a couple weeks before I was able to sleep well, and a couple months before my energy started to return. But I took it slow and noticed a little improvement every day.

I started to notice and enjoy little things again, and when problems came up I found myself thinking of new ways to deal with them - my intuition came back. I cared more about others - my mind wasn't always preoccupied with me......I lost weight and a few wrinkles.

I feel like there's more space in my head, and more importantly in my soul. The world is a friendlier place to live. I feel like it's actually possible to become the person I always wanted to be.

I could probably write another 10 paragraphs...... And the best part maybe, is that if you told me a year ago I would end up writing this, I would have rolled my eyes....

Just go with it...... it's scary at first and some days are rough, but I doubt you'll regret it.