Notices

Running the race with no anchor

Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Running the race with no anchor

Good morning SR! Today I have ran across three guys I work with that are very hungover today.

Seeing this made me so grateful for just not having to live that way anymore. I know there are a ton of these type of posts in this forum but just thought I'd share what a miracle it is that we are getting saved from that lifestyle.

I think sometimes in recovery we feel like things should be going better for us, or we should have all of our problems figured out, or we aren't getting back what we lost fast enough. The truth is we have been given such a gift.

The gift of being able to be who we are suppose to be all of the time - not just some of the time.

How soon we forget the true miracle of just not drinking and being hungover. I hope I never lose sight of this simple gift. I would have given everything I had to get what has been freely given to me over the past 4 months. That's the beauty of recovery. You can't buy it, you have to earn it. Quitting drinking has been the hardest and most rewarding thing I've ever done.

I hope we all stay grateful for finally being able to run this race of life without all of the dead weight holding us back!

Just thought I'd share what bouncing around in this head of mine.

Happy Friday everyone!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Well said, Reggie.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great Post Reggie!

Life may not be perfect but I sure am grateful for what I have and who I am today. I'll never forget the insanity and the hard work it took to get sober. To me, there are no more mountains to climb, only little hills. I can surely get over them sober and with the help of my HP.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that.

I can do a million things wrong every day, but if I am clean and sober at the end of that day, it's been a success.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I give thanks to the wonder of sober living every AM&PM over in the gratitude threads...it's like brushing my teeth.

i have NOT forgotten the horrible mornings of hungover, nauseated and generally feeling craptastic. I would not trade feeling normal and a restful sleep for a bottle of wine again.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great thoughts. I just read a little excerpt yesterday with the same connection. Thank your HP for the little miracles. If you are so buy searching for huge miracles in your life you will miss all the little ones. Like waking up, getting to work safely , enjoying family time, getting home from work safely, being functional, having the capabilities to preform daily tasks, etc etc..... Happy Friday...snowing today, isn't that wonderful?! UGH
Old 04-15-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perfectly said! Thank you Reggiewayne, your posts always inspire me.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opivotal View Post
Great Post Reggie!

Life may not be perfect but I sure am grateful for what I have and who I am today. I'll never forget the insanity and the hard work it took to get sober. To me, there are no more mountains to climb, only little hills. I can surely get over them sober and with the help of my HP.
I love that! Good stuff!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Yes, it is wonderful to experience life all the time, not just sometimes as you said, and to find me again......

Thanks for a great post, as usual!

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.* ~e.e. cummings
Old 04-15-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks reggie, well said
Old 04-15-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

awesome dude

glad to have you in my corner...very well spoken and uplifting
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I identify w that!

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
i have NOT forgotten the horrible mornings of hungover, nauseated and generally feeling craptastic. I would not trade feeling normal and a restful sleep for a bottle of wine again.
I've been sleeping badly for so long, because of alcohol. Feeling normal and restful must be great! Hopefully I'll be there soon.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you will....

you will feel better in time...i have a personal question for you...are you under doctors care? detoxing can be dangerous as well as scary...i am no doc...but i know i almost died years ago from detoxing in an old friends basement...it was freaking scary...well anyways i am here for you
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jessiecat777 View Post
you will feel better in time...i have a personal question for you...are you under doctors care? detoxing can be dangerous as well as scary...i am no doc...but i know i almost died years ago from detoxing in an old friends basement...it was freaking scary...well anyways i am here for you
My crazy Russian doctor said you cant die from quitting drinking.She is very sharp.I told her that i read online that you can.She said no.Hmm, She scared me sober in 5 minutes in her office!And shes from russia!!!who should know more about alcoholism than them?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post and for being on this list RW. You are an amazing support.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey flatsix, welcome to SR. Hope you are through your detox, because you most certainly can die from alcohol withdrawals.

Reggie - Thank you for the reminder of the blessings of sobriety. Being present all the time ain't easy but it is so much better. Tomorrow will be 12 weeks for me.

I never want to forget that night on my birthday. I blacked out on my third glass of wine. Yeah, they were big glasses but still...Blacked out completely and came to in jail. I had attacked the cab driver that had been called to take me home. Not violent nor never have been, yet I was that night. No memory at all of any of it. 12 weeks later all the ramifications of that night resolved. No drinking inbetween. I hope I never forget the pain of the past and always remain grateful for the gift of sobriety.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
That's the beauty of recovery. You can't buy it, you have to earn it. Quitting drinking has been the hardest and most rewarding thing I've ever done.
Very Well Said! Agreed!