Notices

Day Five: PM The development of Booze-dar?

Old 04-14-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Five: PM The development of Booze-dar?

Hey all. I'm good so far! Spent an hour reading after I got home this evening--not just recreational I'm an English teacher and assigned a lot of reading for next week...

But I wanted to share something funny. I had a student in this morning. She was a little late and then said my syllabus had my office wrong. Then she mentioned she had been out with a friend last night and I though--uhuh.

She really smelled of alcohol. Strong. I mean, she's 22 or something so it doesn't matter (probably) but I was surprised by how much I could smell it. I don't think I have ever smelled alcohol on a student before, and I'm sure they drink. Is this my system cleaning up?

It's really something though. The world is bright and I am stronger and I feel so good. I am so grateful to you guys.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

It is a pleasure and an inspiration to see you enjoying new sobriety. Gratefulness goes both ways, so thanks to you too!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...I shudder to remember how often I reeked of booze

I had a non drinking co worker who happen to wear the same
expensive French perfume I favored Mine always smelled a bit
racid and hers did not.
I figured we had different body chemistry...and that was true

I changed scents....and kept on drinking.....

Keep in focus ...and keep moving forward
Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I ran into this the other day with a friend/husbands co-worker. He wasn't answering his telephone and we live in a housing area owned by the employer so I walked across the street to get him to answer his telephone. WOW. He came to the door and I was standing a few feet away and I could smell it on him. My husband later went to his house to talk to him and could smell it too (my husband does drink but he is not an alcoholic by any means).
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Man can I relate. I remember sitting in sales meetings on Monday morning and trying not to sit anywhere near other employees because I knew I reeked of booze. I remember not kissing my kids goodnight so they wouldn't smell booze on my breathe. I remember sleeping with my back to my wife so she couldn't smell it as well. Our secrets really do keep us sick. The truth is, I'm sure I was fooling no one. Not even myself.

Congrats on your sober time. Stay with this thing. It only gets better. Best of luck!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I always had tins of Altoids "The Curiously Strong Mint" and so I never smelled...
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wonder if my office mate, a psychologist, knows about altoids. She has people to her house to make little altars inside of altoid boxes. I still have two tins floating around and my husband bought some yesterday.

I don't think he knows about the true significance of altoids either. He thinks they're candy!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, that's like they say about smokers who've quit. When you quit smoking or drinking the senses that are dulled are returned to normal. Your sense of smell & taste will heighten.
That's a great sign for you that you can sense that -but not for the girl that was drinking! LOL
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

but see, I don't think I ever thought I smelled ! LOL

I hope I can re-earn their trust since they probably knew
Old 04-14-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Its not just. The smell....I sometimes look at people and think they have a problem....the red skin...weird nose(what is that btw) general unkemptness.

2 days ago I was at the grocery right before closing...it was raining and someone parked crooked right by the entrance...I saw her inside talking to the cashier....and just felt in my bones she had a problem. She looked like I used to.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yes, your senses are probably more acute now...i think alcohol dulls them...and that sour smell is hard to "wash off" if it emits from your pores...

congrats on your continuing sobriety, you sound much happier too. getting a lot accomplished and prcking up on details.

i love chocolate altoids!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

My husband was drinking last night and reeked of wine in bed. Even though he had stopped drinking hours previously (he drank after he got home and then switched to water like a normal person around 8pm ). I can't believe I used to smell like that every single night.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Been there...I wonder over the years how many people smelled it on me. I went to work and spaced out for hours. I drank tons of water and coffee. Usually around lunchtime I felt somewhat human. however that feeling was soon forgotten because as soon as i got home I hit the liquor cabinet again. It feel so good to be sober. Very proud of you Missy! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I never had a clue that people could smell the wine on me and there were many occasions where I spent alot of effort to appear that I hadn't been drinking. My husband drinks wine and now the smell almost makes me sick...I can even smell the glass of wine on the table. I never noticed it at all before.

Here's to sobriety!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ummm, yeah. My husband would complain that I smelled bad when I would drink red wine - so I switched to white wine for a while or I would tell him just to deal with it... :O

When your body processes alcohol, not only is it excreted in urine, but in your breath and sweat - it literally oozes from your pores.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel like a vampire! I mean, I can smell red wine from across the room, then I sort of float. Now I have to wrap my cape over my face and just...walk away.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This reminds me of my last days of drinking, I was living out of my truck and spend most of my days parked at a marina only to leave to go to the store to get more beer and chips to feed the seagulls. A friend came one day to check on me and told me he could smell the alcohol 5 feet before he got to my truck and ask me if I needed some help and all I could said to him was leave me alone ...how sad because I when down a few more floors before I got off that elevator.

Stay Strong Missy7 and thanks for sharing.